• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

Irrespective of whether I'd want Ings to come or not, the letting a player go and seeing the deal we had lined up to replace him fall down/not materialise, is a particular strength of our recruitment over a number of years

I'm finding that I'm WAY more relaxed about this window than I have been for years.

It'd be great to bolster the numbers, get a forward in etc but if we can't get the right players in, I'm more than happy to wait until the summer when GON can start to build the squad he wants rather than the squad he's inherited. We're not going to go down and we're not going to get into Europe so no point paying over the odds for players who might not be the right fit for us.

Anyone else feeling a bit more relaxed this time around?

Irrespective of whether I'd want Ings to come or not, the letting a player go and seeing the deal we had lined up to replace him fall down/not materialise, is a particular strength of our recruitment over a number of years
I don't think Ings is even looked at as a replacement.

GO has decided the 2 forwards he has are not for him and would probably be happy to have kids step in to take their spot on the bench and probably play Kilman* up front if needed, so won't be missed.

I am sticking with my view that Ings is on a list but that list has a fair few names on it and if and when we get to him it will be right at the end of the window. Think they will be chilled if nothing happens this window despite reducing the the 1st team squad numbers down as GO is turning into a Nuno-Max with regards to players he trusts.

*not serious...it will of course be Doherty.

I'm finding that I'm WAY more relaxed about this window than I have been for years.

It'd be great to bolster the numbers, get a forward in etc but if we can't get the right players in, I'm more than happy to wait until the summer when GON can start to build the squad he wants rather than the squad he's inherited. We're not going to go down and we're not going to get into Europe so no point paying over the odds for players who might not be the right fit for us.

I had this feeling before we loaned out Sasa & Silva. I'll be back to feeling settled when/if they're replaced.

I am, obviously if we can get a few young uns in who can be first team squad ready for next season then so much the better.
No idea if Ekitike is good enough or not but that would the type of player we'd look at on loan with an option?

Well there's no real jeopardy, relegation is off the table and only the most optimistic think Europe is a realistic possibility, so worse case not bringing anyone in just costs us a few places in the table if we suffer injuries.

That said we went into the season believing that both Silva and Kalajdzic were genuine first 11 options and were trying to sign Dia, with them both leaving that suggests we are at least 2 light of where we'd like to be. I do agree that we should wait for the right player rather than fill the squad with an Ings type though

I think whether Fraser goes out on loan or not will be the true indication of whether we have another forward lined up or not.

I don't think Silva or Sasa will play for us again.

I think whether Fraser goes out on loan or not will be the true indication of whether we have another forward lined up or not.

Has he not already gone to Salop then?

Think that's a foregone conclusion at this point tbh.

I'll wait for @Deutsch Wolf to post the David Brent gif
Surely it'll look daft when you let Sasa go out on loan because he's not mobile enough and then sign someone else on loan who also doesn't fit the stated brief?

FaWvak3y3yGx.gif

Think that's a foregone conclusion at this point tbh.
I think that's Silva done for good in any circumstance and we'd need a change of manager for Sasa to play again other than in preseason / the League Cup

There's no danger of relegation or Europe but I don't think it's a time to rest and wait until the Summer. Every window is a chance to strengthen the squad for both this season and the long term and ideally, getting one or two of the right types of player obviously takes pressure off having to do too much all at once. Sustained and sensible recruitment is what we need and I don't think letting both Kalajdzic and Silva out of the door, without at least one coming in would represent that.

It's true that neither have been used very much anyway but we are only an injury or suspension away from needing an attacking player to come in to the team and there's even more of an emphasis on having a strong bench now and then you add in the players that we have going/gone away on international duty. I can't see us getting to the end of the window without at least one new option in anyway, even if it's only a short term loan initially.

I would be amazed if Hobbs suggested we paid 100% of the wages for a £120k a week player as a loan squad filler.

I wouldn't be amazed if Jeff waved it through.

Back