• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

Technically he was more productive under Javi Gracia. 😬

Just managing expectations. There are plenty who think he'll come good elsewhere and just wasn't suited to the PL/didn't want to be here. Back in the real world he finished with 2 goals in 29 games in a year at Benfica.
Oh, I know, I know.

I just wanted to say the Romain line!

From a player development perspective I don't really get that move. He's proven he's good enough for the championship. If it ends up meaning hull take wba's place in the playoffs though I'm all for it.

Clearly want him to get game time ahead of anything else. If Hull are promising he will be a starter regardless, then more fool them really.

If he doesn't settle in and his form is shit, are Hull going to get financial penalties from Liverpool as part of the deal if they drop him?

Imagine if we had guaranteed Willian Jose a start every week, regardless of form...

Hull play some good football so would a good move for him from that perspective at least.

Says a lot about the player that there aren’t any Premier League teams that can guarantee starts

I dont think any Premier league manager would guarantee any player starts would they?
I would have thought he would have got decent minutes here on rotation with the other forwards.

I dont think any Premier league manager would guarantee any player starts would they?
I would have thought he would have got decent minutes here on rotation with the other forwards.
I would think from a Liverpool perspective they aren't going to learn whether he can cut it in the PL or not by him going to Hull.

If they back his talents you'd think they'd give him the opportunity to force his way in somewhere.

A bit like we did with Sanderson and QPR, he wasn't able to force his way in so we kinda new he probably wasn't going to be an option at PL level (along with our own assessments of course)

I mean we don’t know what they’re actually asking him to be playing minutes wise but they obviously don’t trust him to force his way into a PL teams starting 11

I mean we don’t know what they’re actually asking him to be playing minutes wise but they obviously don’t trust him to force his way into a PL teams starting 11
Sorry, I should have clarified. By "force his way in" I meant getting regular minutes off the bench.

Imo getting regular minutes off the bench in the PL > Starting in the championship

Sorry, I should have clarified. By "force his way in" I meant getting regular minutes off the bench.

Imo getting regular minutes off the bench in the PL > Starting in the championship

Depends where Liverpool see him in his development really, what's good for one player isn't necessarily good for another. He's clearly stagnated a little since his one break out season in the Championship, they might value the chance for him just to get half a season (+ a potential play off run) of regular starts over coming to someone like us where he couldn't really be guaranteed anything at all.

Villa took a 50% hit on him in 18 months, he's nowhere near what he used to be. I'm sure he can still finish but he doesn't do anything else.
Sounds like we're thinking of doing another version of Costa. A bit younger, a bit more capable but just another 'once good' but whose sell by date is in the rear view mirror.

Costa was very much needs must. We went from 2 strikers to 0 inside a week due to injuries, and the transfer window had closed so we could only sign free agents. He was about the best out there. Nowhere near good enough but nor was anyone else who was available. If Sasa and Raul had got injured on 25 August rather than 3 September then there's no chance we'd have even considered Costa let alone signed him.

None of that applies with Ings aside from us letting Fabio and Sasa go to make our resources thinner (presumably in anticipation of signing at least one player)

By all account wages are north £130k per week

Depends where Liverpool see him in his development really, what's good for one player isn't necessarily good for another. He's clearly stagnated a little since his one break out season in the Championship, they might value the chance for him just to get half a season (+ a potential play off run) of regular starts over coming to someone like us where he couldn't really be guaranteed anything at all.
If you look at some of his publicly attributed comments last season when he didn't get what he thought was enough game time and add in another half a season of more of the same then I think it's best that he just plays. If that's back at Championship level then so be it. If he'd come to Wolves and we'd been fortunate with injuries and suspensions he'd have been looking at 15/20 minute sub appearances which isn't what he needs at least emotionally.

Fab also confirming Carvalho is off to Hull

Liverpool are probably at the stage where they think that he's not going to make it them so the best thing that they can do is try and maximise a selling value. Tearing up the Championship and getting a Gibbs White / Alex Scott fee is possibly their hope on this occasion.

Every time I see him he looks like he needs to pack on 15 pounds or so. Small guy.

Back