• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

We are a mid table Premier League side, top class strikers tend to play for teams at the top end of the big leagues.
Or they join them after playing for sides lower down the league. Jota, Richarlison and Mane being recent examples. I'd rather sign someone we feel will outgrow us in a couple years than one we sign because he's 'our level', which with Sargent is debatable at best

Last edited:
I would take Sargent at the right price, In Europe’s top leagues he has played for struggling sides but he would be at least an option to cover Cunha or Hwang. He does the hard work up front, can drop deep to collect the ball and is a penalty box goal scorer. We are a mid table Premier League side, top class strikers tend to play for teams at the top end of the big leagues.
There is a world of difference between a top class striker and Josh Sargent.

Nothing I've seen from him says he's anything but championship level.

There are a dozen strikers better than him I can think of just off the top of my head:

Adams, Dykes, Sims,, Daka, Rutter, Piroe, Hurst, Adebayo, Broja, Iheanacho, Delap and Ugbo.

And I wouldn't have any of them at the moment either.

There are better players out there than average championship players, we attracted Cunha, Sarabia, Gomes and Lemina not so long ago, that's the standard, not Josh Sargent

There is a world of difference between a top class striker and Josh Sargent.

Nothing I've seen from him says he's anything but championship level.

There are a dozen strikers better than him I can think of just off the top of my head:

Adams, Dykes, Sims,, Daka, Rutter, Piroe, Hurst, Adebayo, Broja, Iheanacho, Delap and Ugbo.

And I wouldn't have any of them at the moment either.

There are better players out there than average championship players, we attracted Cunha, Sarabia, Gomes and Lemina not so long ago, that's the standard, not Josh Sargent

Good for you.

I recall a lot of negative comments about Sargent when Norwich were in the PL. On the odd occasion I’ve seen him since I’ve watched and thought those comments were harsh. Definitely works hard and can finish - much like Hwang and he’s definitely got a better first touch than Hwang. I’d rather Sargent than Ings or the departing Silva and Sasa.

I recall a lot of negative comments about Sargent when Norwich were in the PL. On the odd occasion I’ve seen him since I’ve watched and thought those comments were harsh. Definitely works hard and can finish - much like Hwang and he’s definitely got a better first touch than Hwang. I’d rather Sargent than Ings or the departing Silva and Sasa.
2 goals in 26 games in the PL.

Finisher.

2 goals in 26 games in the PL.

Finisher.
I’ve been watching him in the Championship and he’s generally looked ok and scored a couple of decent goals. I’m no expert on anything to do with Norwich but on the occasions I’ve seen him he’s been a lot better than I expected from the comments on here. There’s a good chance he’s settled in English football and improved - Hwang’s progress is irrefutable proof that judging a player on performances two years ago can be very misleading.

I’ve been watching him in the Championship and he’s generally looked ok and scored a couple of decent goals. I’m no expert on anything to do with Norwich but on the occasions I’ve seen him he’s been a lot better than I expected from the comments on here. There’s a good chance he’s settled in English football and improved - Hwang’s progress is irrefutable proof that judging a player on performances two years ago can be very misleading.
So leaving aside his abysmal PL performances which of his 6 games this season have you seen him in?

Or did you watch him last season where he got 13 in 40?

He was terrible last season by the way (PL standard)

Last edited:
So leaving aside his abysmal PL performances which of his 6 games this season have you seen him in?

Or did you watch him last season where he got 13 in 40?

He was terrible last season by the way.
13 in 40 isn’t too bad😁

Surely Frankfurt wouldn't be taking Sasa and Ekitike at the same time, possibly both on loan.

Hopefully now they’ve got Sasa that leaves Ekitike free for us.

My initial instinct towards Josh Sargent would be a hard 'Fuck No' but I admit that's based on his woeful first season at Norwich and a long-standing belief that gingers shouldn't wear Old Gold.

Can't say I've seen him play a minute since that season but that'd still be a transfer greeted with a hefty dose of scepticism from me.

Watching a Norwich pod and the view seems too be he used to be shite but now he's great. Looked awful in the Prem but I concede that was a while ago.

Watching a Norwich pod and the view seems too be he used to be shite but now he's great. Looked awful in the Prem but I concede that was a while ago.

Yeah I've had a quick look over at the PinkUn (I know. I'm bored and Ill) and they seem to love him. They rate him alongside Rowe & Sara as their 3 best players.

The standard down there is atrocious though. Who would our best 3 players have been when we were foddering along as a mid table Championship club in 2015/16 like they are now? Nouha Dicko, Benik Afobe & Kevin McDonald? None of them up to Premier League standard.

Back