• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

This

“If players have gone out on loan, we can look to replace them,
+
but they’ve got to be better than what we’ve got.

Does not =

Ings

Bit Moxey-esque for me.

Also two bits annoyed me:

Wolves have used just 23 players in the Premier League this term – no club has used less

Fewer.

Phil Hayward [head of high performance]

EcJhVOWWkAA4oQj.jpg:large

There's a lot wrong with this paragraph

“Also, if you look at the amount of minutes Sasa and Fabio have played between them, we’re not looking to replace lots of minutes, so there’s not an immediate rush. While we do want to bring someone in, they’ve got to be the right person, but it’s not easy when we’re trying to find the best players clubs aren’t using"

Yeah we got ourselves on the right side of it again my making a decent profit last summer. Doesn't mean we get back into that situation again this summer by spending huge amounts again.

It's £53m less four out of five years of amortisation of £42m though. Smallish potatoes. I'm just glad we got rid of him.
Aye, it gave us about £16m from an FFP perspective from memory once the sell on had been paid, but equally that's £64m transfer value wise for players on 4 year contracts, we spent about 1/3 of that

Aye, it gave us about £16m from an FFP perspective from memory once the sell on had been paid, but equally that's £64m transfer value wise for players on 4 year contracts, we spent about 1/3 of that
Yeah, that's about right. Although I never like the "we can spend £x now" FFP arguments, it's akin to me saying I can spend £8k on a weekend getaway because that's what's spare on one of my credit cards. I can but it would be pretty stupid unless I also intend dying on Monday. For all fans of 90s references, I don't.

Also, while we clearly had bids rejected for forwards towards the end of the Summer window, that was when we were in survival mode.

It's easy for Hobbs to waffle on about the 'human element' but if we were 17th instead of 11th there's no way we'd have let them go out on loan without sorting a replacement first.

Yeah, that's about right. Although I never like the "we can spend £x now" FFP arguments, it's akin to me saying I can spend £8k on a weekend getaway because that's what's spare on one of my credit cards. I can but it would be pretty stupid unless I also intend dying on Monday. For all fans of 90s references, I don't.
The line about being self sustainable he uses is the key point. We discussed in the summer how many get that and don't mind, it's when Shi is scared to say it, presumably because he thinks he loses face after some of his previous statements and hides behind FFP that people get pissed off.

It was clear after the 2022/3 spend / committed spend we needed to balance the books, but after Neves that was pretty much done FFP wise, but not in terms of p&l. Just tell the truth, I think Shi makes the mistake of reading social media and thinking it's the average fans opinion, when it isn't. I still think that played a part in Nuno leaving although only a part. I also think that's why he has hidden behind FFP erroneously twice, one of which he has subsequently admitted.

Most people don't expect Fosun to invest any further, those that do aren't worth listening to, but seem to be catered for whilst insulting the intelligence of the rest of us

I think we'd have let Fabio go regardless as he patently is not and never will be a Premier League standard player.

The line about being self sustainable he uses is the key point. We discussed in the summer how many get that and don't mind, it's when Shi is scared to say it, presumably because he thinks he loses face after some of his previous statements and hides behind FFP that people get pissed off.

It was clear after the 2022/3 spend / committed spend we needed to balance the books, but after Neves that was pretty much done FFP wise, but not in terms of p&l. Just tell the truth, I think Shi makes the mistake of reading social media and thinking it's the average fans opinion, when it isn't. I still think that played a part in Nuno leaving although only a part. I also think that's why he has hidden behind FFP erroneously twice, one of which he has subsequently admitted.

Most people don't expect Fosun to invest any further, those that do aren't worth listening to, but seem to be catered for whilst insulting the intelligence of the rest of us
A club of our size can't afford to sign Fabio, Hoever and Guedes for what we inexplicably did and not have it kick us fairly hard in the arse.

I just don't think it's a good look to patronise fans and say "it's hard to sign good players, y'know", not when we're the only club in the entire division to have put prices up every single possible year since 2018 and their chosen argument changes more than Walter Zenga changed a back four.

A club of our size can't afford to sign Fabio, Hoever and Guedes for what we inexplicably did and not have it kick us fairly hard in the arse.

I just don't think it's a good look to patronise fans and say "it's hard to sign good players, y'know", not when we're the only club in the entire division to have put prices up every single possible year since 2018 and their chosen argument changes more than Walter Zenga changed a back four.
I think you can add Cunha and Nunes to that when it comes to fees, we got out of the one and the other is a good player, just a lot of money for a mid table club to spend on a relatively unproven player who the manager who wanted him didn't know how to use.

It does look like those days are over and we'll be better for it.

I think you can add Cunha and Nunes to that when it comes to fees, we got out of the one and the other is a good player, just a lot of money for a mid table club to spend on a relatively unproven player who the manager who wanted him didn't know how to use.

It does look like those days are over and we'll be better for it.
Yeah, I'm broadly in favour of how we're going along (though they've definitely rolled the dice and ended up with a six on GON as no-one thought we'd have 28 points now, not even them, no matter what they say).

Just don't talk down or fib to me, I don't ask much. You're already on Wallet Inspector duty every June, don't push it.

Back