• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

Been out tonight, but we have the Deutsch is better than that bingo again. No idea why his opinions are raised higher than anyone elses? I think he'd probably agree with that as well, for whatever reason he gets held to a higher standard than anyone else on here. It's sort of complementary, but also sort of weird
Is it a copyright infringement you're worried about?

Only joking :)

Been out tonight, but we have the Deutsch is better than that bingo again. No idea why his opinions are raised higher than anyone elses? I think he'd probably agree with that as well, for whatever reason he gets held to a higher standard than anyone else on here. It's sort of complementary, but also sort of weird
I've known Dan for 17/18 years, generally when he gives an opinion he backs it up with reasons as to why and/or evidence, even if I don't agree with it I can at least see the reasoning as to why.

So when I see him say "Kilman is shit" and/or the other stuff similar that followed, it's quite jarring and unexpected, as that's the sort of analysis you get from "England fans" in the pub during a World Cup who say they support Man Utd.

Not sure why you think it's odd, i am sure there are people you know who if they made what you would consider a rash comment - you'd at least raise an eyebrow, at most ask them about it.

Last edited:
Just to clarify my Paul Blades comment was based on both he and Kilman frequently being close to an opponent who has scored without actually making a clear mistake. It was a response to Deutsch’s comment about standing near a burning building with matches. Obviously Kilman is a better player but he lacks that spark that is the difference between ok and good. Undoubtedly I’m not alone in being disappointed we point blank refused a very good offer from Napoli as I simply don’t see a player worth close to £30m and as a football fan I reserve the right to throw objectivity out of the window every now and then to emphasise my point.

I think the thing is with Kilman, is that he wouldn't look any different in the Championship, he wouldn't dominate forwards like the likes of Boly & Lescott did. He's OK for where we are but if Hobbs can't take £35m for him and then even just breakeven quality wise for half the money, then he's in the wrong job. I'd rather have Dawson than Kilman in a back four and that speaks volumes. He's far from our most pressing need but given the offers on the table in the Summer it's bloody mental not pressing the button on it.

We were offered £30m weren't we?

Anyway, I agree, we should have sold him for that, but we didn't, but that's not Kilman's fault.

Totally disagree about who I prefer in a back 4 though, the West Ham game underlined that too, Dawson can't do it, maybe that's because Kilman as a partner doesn't suit, maybe Kilman would look better with a better CB next to him also. But we don't NEED to change to 4atb anyway, we just don't.

Dawson and Kilman are absolutely fine for us in this league with our current expectations, in fact since the Luton game (and change in formation) both have been pretty bloody good with the odd moment, which is normal.

We were offered £30m weren't we?

Anyway, I agree, we should have sold him for that, but we didn't, but that's not Kilman's fault.

Totally disagree about who I prefer in a back 4 though, the West Ham game underlined that too, Dawson can't do it, maybe that's because Kilman as a partner doesn't suit, maybe Kilman would look better with a better CB next to him also. But we don't NEED to change to 4atb anyway, we just don't.

Dawson and Kilman are absolutely fine for us in this league with our current expectations, in fact since the Luton game (and change in formation) both have been pretty bloody good with the odd moment, which is normal.
We've been shit the last 4 games.

We are playing 5atb because our defenders are so poor in a 4. We don't have the wing backs for 5 (despite you being shown this a 100 times with Semedo).

What we do have is a midfield and forward set up for 4-3-3.

1 CB would allow us to do this.

I just think it’s weird that Nuno, Lage, Lopetegui and O’Neill all think Kilman is good enough and another club thought he was worth £30 million… how have we had four managers and another club all come to the same conclusion?
I know you are being sarcastic/dry, but he wasn't first choice under Nuno, he was a squad player. I doubt anyone would argue he's not worthy of that.

I know you are being sarcastic/dry, but he wasn't first choice under Nuno, he was a squad player. I doubt anyone would argue he's not worthy of that.
It's not sarcastic or dry, it's a totally reasonable comment.

Also - wasn't he first choice at the end of Nuno's last season?

They are part of the problem and I would say they have been rubbish, their distribution has been awful.
So you want a "solid, beast" CB that enables us to play 4atb, that is also excellent distribution wise?

So what you're saying is...pre-Kilman, 7th place, best of the rest, exciting football and we're all full of hope. Post Kilman, we're lower mid-table, devoid of hope and ambition.
It's Fosun who have changed our direction, it feels like a fair few on here haven't realised yet.

We've been shit the last 4 games.

We are playing 5atb because our defenders are so poor in a 4. We don't have the wing backs for 5 (despite you being shown this a 100 times with Semedo).

What we do have is a midfield and forward set up for 4-3-3.

1 CB would allow us to do this.
Agree apart from I think we’d need 2CBs. Dawson would be fine against lower teams but I think he’d struggle against the better teams now. That said he’d be fine in a back five against the better teams as demonstrated with his superb performances against Haaland and Son. Problem is switching between 4 and 5 at the back isn’t ideal.

So you want a "solid, beast" CB that enables us to play 4atb, that is also excellent distribution wise?
That's not what I've said.

With 5atb the CB's have to be good on the ball as one of them is essentially the spare man and will look for a pass forwards. So they need to be good on the ball, like Coady was. GoN asks his 2 wide CB's to do this job.

With 4atb the CB's will have a deep lying midfielder in front of them to be the extra option, that midfielder may be a defensive midfielder like Fabinho that wins the ball and distributes short passes or a quarterback style like Neves who can spray the ball anywhere. Either option means the CB's are relied on to defend more rather than have the added responsibility of creative distribution.

Back