• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

If you can watch the Forest game, particularly the second half and not see the problem, then you never will

That's not what I've said.

With 5atb the CB's have to be good on the ball as one of them is essentially the spare man and will look for a pass forwards. So they need to be good on the ball, like Coady was. GoN asks his 2 wide CB's to do this job.

With 4atb the CB's will have a deep lying midfielder in front of them to be the extra option, that midfielder may be a defensive midfielder like Fabinho that wins the ball and distributes short passes or a quarterback style like Neves who can spray the ball anywhere. Either option means the CB's are relied on to defend more rather than have the added responsibility of creative distribution.
Ah, so we just replicate the 4atb the back under Lop (and Nuno at times) with Neves on the CBs toes? Awesome...

If you can watch the Forest game, particularly the second half and not see the problem, then you never will
Yeah, the Forest game, pretty much the only game where 5atb has been an issue this season, and a lot of that was also down to the poor performance of Toti and Bueno.

We could have sacrificed a CB for a more attacking player, and probably should have, I'm not convinced it would have made that much difference though, in other games our chance creation hasn't been better than with 5, those 1st half stats v Luton....

All of this analysis about formations, this idea that we need a certain type of CB or midfielder etc, it goes on and on (and clearly GON overthought it on Sunday too)

But the absolutely most significant difference to our creative output will come when Neto and RAN are both fit and firing.

It's not sarcastic or dry, it's a totally reasonable comment.

Also - wasn't he first choice at the end of Nuno's last season?
It was sarcasm…the hyperbole used by DW and others is OTT in my opinion…and I never used the term “first choice”. Kilman quite obviously is not “shit” and I feel a lot of what is posted about him is just regurgitating a firmly held opinion but just in ever more colourful language for effect.

I think that any player who plays regularly in the Premier League has ability, determination, confidence and application in good measure. There are plenty of defenders in the lower leagues who have some of that but will never make it to the Premier League. There are definitely better defenders in the Premier League than Kilman, and that is the case for every single player in our squad.

But….it is no coincidence that a variety of managers (good and bad) have all considered him good enough… when he first turned up at the club I had no expectations that he would ever make it, I just thought he was a body we would have around in the U21s before he moved on somewhere else.

Fair play to him for making the very best of his opportunity but he is what he is…and in today‘s hyper inflated transfer market £30 million isn’t much for an average Premier League defender.

Whenever a Wolves fan bleats about 'Neves holding hands/sitting on the CB toes' it's like they're waving a giant flag with 'I don't understand football' on it to me.
Whenever somebody posts that someone doesn’t understand football it’s like they’re waving a giant flag that they don’t understand that in football most things are shades of grey and that there are different ways of playing the game.

All of this analysis about formations, this idea that we need a certain type of CB or midfielder etc, it goes on and on (and clearly GON overthought it on Sunday too)

But the absolutely most significant difference to our creative output will come when Neto and RAN are both fit and firing.
If you can't or won't see that relying on 2 players being fit (1 of those with no assists or goals) then I don't know what I can say to you.

It's a complete lack of understanding of football tactics. If you don't understand them fair enough, just say so but you've picked a really strange hill to die on.

If you can't or won't see that relying on 2 players being fit (1 of those with no assists or goals) then I don't know what I can say to you.

It's a complete lack of understanding of football tactics. If you don't understand them fair enough, just say so but you've picked a really strange hill to die on.

What are you talking about now? What do you think I'm not understanding!?

Even without Neto our form with 5atb has been good, I'm saying that this current mini slump (in terms of performance, not results) will see an upturn with RAN and Neto back - do you dispute this?

You fellas keep banging on about how we should be playing 4atb, whilst simultaneously saying the defenders we currently have aren't suited to it. It's mental.

What are you talking about now?

Even without Neto our form with 5atb has been good, I'm saying that this current mini slump (in terms of performance, not results) will see an upturn with RAN and Neto back.
So you're pinning your hopes on Neto?

As I said, just admit you don't understand why 5atb is an issue.

Just dying on the 5atb and Kilman hill just showed you have no understand or won't understand why we are playing as badly as we are.

Why can't you see with 1 centre back we'd be better off as a club as it gets the best out of everybody else?

It would even still give you the option of playing 5atb.

You fellas keep banging on about how we should be playing 4atb, whilst simultaneously saying the defenders we currently have aren't suited to it. It's mental.
We are saying we would buy at least 1 x CB in January and replace Kilman.

Which you can't admit for some reason. That's mental.

So you're pinning your hopes on Neto?

As I said, just admit you don't understand why 5atb is an issue.

Just dying on the 5atb and Kilman hill just showed you have no understand or won't understand why we are playing as badly as we are.

Why can't you see with 1 centre back we'd be better off as a club as it gets the best out of everybody else?

It would even still give you the option of playing 5atb.
"Pinning my hopes"?

I'm explaining, as it seems to be a point lost by many, that our best player, and the best assistor in the whole league is a significant miss, and when he comes back we will be a hell of a lot better! You are arguing with that?

How am I dying on a hill?

We have picked up many more points playing 5atb than 4atb, what are you even arguing, you're so obsessed with telling people they're not as intelligent as you, you seem to lose your train of thought.

Back