• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

Whenever a Wolves fan bleats about 'Neves holding hands/sitting on the CB toes' it's like they're waving a giant flag with 'I don't understand football' on it to me.
Yet the only time 4 atb has worked for us with Dawson/Kilman is when we had exactly that last season under Lopetegui. We had plenty of home 1-0 wins with that exact setup. It's undeniable Neves did a hell of a lot of defensive work tracking back and making tackles right in front of those two which helped them out a lot.

We are saying we would buy at least 1 x CB in January and replace Kilman.

Which you can't admit for some reason. That's mental.

Many have also said you want us to play 4atb now, despite saying that the current CBs don't suit it.

You also think the club that turned down 30mill for Kilman a few months ago and made him captain a few months ago is going to buy a brand new CB to replace him?

Also we bought a CB in the Summer, Girona played in a four I believe (they certainly do now). What happens to him?

"Pinning my hopes"?

I'm explaining, as it seems to be a point lost by many, that our best player, and the best assistor in the whole league is a significant miss, and when he comes back we will be a hell of a lot better! You are arguing with that?

How am I dying on a hill?

We have picked up many more points playing 5atb than 4atb, what are you even arguing, you're so obsessed with telling people they're not as intelligent as you, you seem to lose your train of thought.
Just admit you don't understand football tactics.

I have explained several times why we'd be better off with 4atb with the addition of a big strong centre back .

As we are in the transfer thread and this has come up nearly a billion times it seems it is lost on you completely why we're taking about this.

To be completely clear for you.

Adding a big strong centre back to play 4-3-3 and replacing Kilman will get the best out of this squad (in my opinion).

You clearly don't agree with this but have chosen to die on a Kilman is great hill. I and many others don't agree which is something you're having immense difficulty with.

Many have also said you want us to play 4atb now, despite saying that the current CBs don't suit it.
I do in games where we don't need three centre halves, at least three and possibly four of the games in November and December have fallen into that bracket and we picked the wrong shape (got 4 points from 4), then we changed it when we shouldn't have on Sunday.

You also think the club that turned down 30mill for Kilman a few months ago and made him captain a few months ago is going to buy a brand new CB to replace him?
No, and that's a fucking stupid decision imo.
Also we bought a CB in the Summer, Girona played in a four I believe (they certainly do now). What happens to him?
He played in a 5 at Girona.

I have explained several times why we'd be better off with 4atb with the addition of a big strong centre back .
And that is an opinion, not a fact.

Dawson is a "big, strong centre back" and as you stated yourself playing with a 4 means we either have a dynamic midfielder (we dont) or we have a CM sat on their toes like Neves did under Lop - and that definitely wasn't entertaining.

The end game of this change isn't better football, and it's not likely to be more points either - that's my opinion, based on previous experiences.

I'm not arrogant enough to tell anyone they don't know anything about football or its tactics because I have a different opinion though, you carry on with that if it makes you feel awesome.

When Liverpool won the league they had a very functional midfield. All good players but never going to get a YouTube compilation between them. Largely three from four of Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum and Milner.

Fair to say they were an entertaining team as they were all about getting the ball to the explosive players up top efficiently and then the midfield did all the hard yards off the ball.

Many different ways you can play it, if you picked all of Lemina, Gomes and Doyle you cover a lot of bases bar goalscoring (and as I say, Liverpool didn't have that either from that area).

And that is an opinion, not a fact.
Yes, I did say that.
Dawson is a "big, strong centre back" and as you stated yourself
Dawson is 34 and isn't athletic anymore. The Dawson of 5 years ago is what we need. I have started this quite a few times now.
playing with a 4 means we either have a dynamic midfielder (we dont)
Mario Lemina and João Gomes are as dynamic as you get. Neither are playmakers.
or we have a CM sat on their toes like Neves did under Lop
Yes, Doyle looks like he can do that job but isn't really physical enough yet.
and that definitely wasn't entertaining.The end game of this change isn't better football, and it's not likely to be more points either.
I think you're flat out wrong there as Neto, Hwang and Cunha are pretty potent.

I'm not arrogant enough to tell anyone they don't know anything about football or its tactics because I have a different opinion though, you carry on with that if it makes you feel awesome.
Show us you do then, explain why Kilman in a 5 is the way forward and we don't need anybody new at the back and prove me wrong.

When Liverpool won the league they had a very functional midfield. All good players but never going to get a YouTube compilation between them. Largely three from four of Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum and Milner.

Fair to say they were an entertaining team as they were all about getting the ball to the explosive players up top efficiently and then the midfield did all the hard yards off the ball.

Many different ways you can play it, if you picked all of Lemina, Gomes and Doyle you cover a lot of bases bar goalscoring (and as I say, Liverpool didn't have that either from that area).
They also had VVD at CB, who is not just a "big, strong CB" is he?

The quality and skillset of the CB we'd need to sign to facilitate that is incredibly unlikely.

We could definitely do with an upgrade on Kilman as he's had too many poor games in recent months. He's OK with the ball along the ground but anything in the air and he is quite weak at reading either the ball and the defender.

I'm not sure we're going to get a suitably good one in January though as players of that calibre aren't often going spare in the middle of the season.

They also had VVD at CB, who is not just a "big, strong CB" is he?

The quality and skillset of the CB we'd need to sign to facilitate that is incredibly unlikely.
Well clearly we're talking Kwik Save versions of what Liverpool have in every position, as they're Liverpool and we're Wolves.

We signed Willy Boly without too much trouble in 2017 didn't we?

Palace play four at the back with Andersen and Guehi at CH, we can't attract players like that, ever? Just play three centre halves forever and hold Max's hand until he retires?

Yet the only time 4 atb has worked for us with Dawson/Kilman is when we had exactly that last season under Lopetegui. We had plenty of home 1-0 wins with that exact setup. It's undeniable Neves did a hell of a lot of defensive work tracking back and making tackles right in front of those two which helped them out a lot.

I'm sorry, I don't know what you're talking about here.

Show us you do then, explain why Kilman in a 5 is the way forward and we don't need anybody new at the back and prove me wrong.
Sigh.

DW says Kilman is shit, I say no he's not, he's a mid table to lower Prem defender.

You say "you're dying on the Kilman 5atb hill".

Nope.

I say I cannot for the life of me see Wolves in January signing a CB that replaces Kilman, the club have made him captain and rejected a 30mill bid for him, they are not going to try and replace him in January despite how crap you all think he is, if they do look for a CB it'll be to replace the aging, creaking Dawson (who is still excellent in a 5).

However, I don't think a change to 4 will bring us the results so many of you think it will - given my many prior experiences witnessing it. Luton away is an excellent example, even when we weren't the underdogs.

Wolves, the majority of the time are the underdogs, playing with 5 suits us, not just as a team but as a club. Especially given Fosun's remit is survival.

Well clearly we're talking Kwik Save versions of what Liverpool have in every position, as they're Liverpool and we're Wolves.

We signed Willy Boly without too much trouble in 2017 didn't we?

Palace play four at the back with Andersen and Guehi at CH, we can't attract players like that, ever? Just play three centre halves forever and hold Max's hand until he retires?
I know, I don't deny that at all.

Replacing Dawson is far more urgent than Kilman though.

We should have gone in for Andersen, I have no idea why we didn't.

Back