• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

He's done ok when you consider he's come back from a serious injury and only been used as an impact sub. Has two important winning away goals, and when we get players around him he's been a very decent link player too.

Far too early to write him off.

Fully agree. Think we've a lot more to see from him, especially when Neto is back to provide for him

Unless Neto loses 5 yards of pace he’ll be ready to cross and Sasa will be 5 yards outside the box. Our attacking play is focused on pace and Sasa makes Jackie Gallagher look quick.

We definitely need to develop a way of playing when Sasa is on the pitch to use his skill set.
I think the best way would be if we set up as we did early on in the season, with a second striker (Cunha) in behind him and wingers on either side. But we struggle to do that as we have issues with a back four.

I'm not sure it will ever work very well in whatever variant of a 3-4-3 that we use.

I think the best way would be if we set up as we did early on in the season, with a second striker (Cunha) in behind him and wingers on either side. But we struggle to do that as we have issues with a back four.

I'm not sure it will ever work very well in whatever variant of a 3-4-3 that we use.

Yeah I think this is probably right, in which case we should be changing shape when he comes on, especially when chasing a game otherwise we’re just going to be worse after the sub.

A back four needs two new CHs, that will cost a lot more than a forward to replace Sasa. GO has predominantly got to work with what he has and replacing Sasa will be a lot cheaper than buying the players needed to bring out the best of him. His only use is as a 10 minute sub at the end of a game, surely we should be expecting more?

Last nights shape was a rhombus at best and even worse after 20 mins. Lets either play three or four at the back properly [we're not Man City with Stones or Walker inverted] and not some hybrid where our weaknesses are highlighted and strengths negated.
Worse still, when the performance is abject and we are being exposed at will, don't carry on with it.

No signs as such that PTS has been tipped the wink by the club here so it's just his opinion...and I don't think I agree with him.

A quality #9 would be great but with the squad as it is, a versatile forward who can play multiple roles to the required standard would be a more pressing priority. Plus of course it's January, much harder to find who you want as who wants to sell a good striker in the middle of the season. Unlike last year we have no particular urgency to bring players in so unless one falls in our lap, I can't see it.

Just buy a 15 goal/season striker. Easy peasy.

Just buy a 15 goal/season striker. Easy peasy.
The well-worn cliché is 20 goals a season. Which lately means Haaland, Kane or Salah basically in the PL :D

We need to push the boat out. Two players short. Get a Paul Ince-type midfielder too, you'll find them in the "1990s CM" aisle, pick one off the shelf FFS.

Jaden Philogene-Bidace looks like he might be the next cab off the rank at Hull. 11 G&As in 12 games this season in the championship, might be one to keep an eye on.

I'd have this as the priority list for now:

CH (if we're going to keep playing 3 and we're sending Mosquera back out on loan, as 4 isn't enough)
RWB/RB (as broken Jonny and shite Doherty are not proper options)
Utility forward (we don't have enough alternatives right across the front three)
Backup GK (as we can't really use Bantz Bentley, ideally someone who can properly challenge Sa/replace him if he leaves in the next two windows)
#9 (would be nice but it's one to solve down the line for me, as above)

We're fine at LB/LWB and with CMs.

Jaden Philogene-Bidace looks like he might be the next cab off the rank at Hull. 11 G&As in 12 games this season in the championship, might be one to keep an eye on.
Signed from Villa last summer.

The well-worn cliché is 20 goals a season. Which lately means Haaland, Kane or Salah basically in the PL :D

We need to push the boat out. Two players short. Get a Paul Ince-type midfielder too, you'll find them in the "1990s CM" aisle, pick one off the shelf FFS.
A "proper snotter", I'm told.

The chances of Neto and Hwang being able to play every game from January until the end of the season are very slim so a forward would be my priority and our style dictates it is someone with pace. Other than that a CH makes sense. I suspect our activity will be heavily dictated by whether the Sa rumour is true. If he stays I think we’ll only see the two above at most but if he goes it could give us some room to manoeuvre just as Nunes leaving did.

The chances of Neto and Hwang being able to play every game from January until the end of the season are very slim so a forward would be my priority and our style dictates it is someone with pace. Other than that a CH makes sense. I suspect our activity will be heavily dictated by whether the Sa rumour is true. If he stays I think we’ll only see the two above at most but if he goes it could give us some room to manoeuvre just as Nunes leaving did.
Hwang is away for a month in Jan/Feb

Back