• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

No signs as such that PTS has been tipped the wink by the club here so it's just his opinion...and I don't think I agree with him.

A quality #9 would be great but with the squad as it is, a versatile forward who can play multiple roles to the required standard would be a more pressing priority. Plus of course it's January, much harder to find who you want as who wants to sell a good striker in the middle of the season. Unlike last year we have no particular urgency to bring players in so unless one falls in our lap, I can't see it.
Would also need to be the correct type of striker. Sounds like I’m stating the obvious, but we don’t just need a 10/15 goal a season poacher. The front 3 is very fluid and mobile. A big lump who tends to bang in 15 a season would not suit us IMO

Would also need to be the correct type of striker. Sounds like I’m stating the obvious, but we don’t just need a 10/15 goal a season poacher. The front 3 is very fluid and mobile. A big lump who tends to bang in 15 a season would not suit us IMO
Yep. Not a big lump and it just hasn't worked out for him at West Ham, he's still a good player...but I don't think Danny Ings would work in this side. Other than preventing him scoring against us all the time.

Yep. Not a big lump and it just hasn't worked out for him at West Ham, he's still a good player...but I don't think Danny Ings would work in this side. Other than preventing him scoring against us all the time.
Sign iwobi whilst we’re at it as well.

I’m fairly content with us playing 3 CB going forward as well. I know there’s a clamour for us to play 4 atb to get the extra att on. But I’ve quite enjoyed watching us this year for the majority and we are creating chances

Sign iwobi whilst we’re at it as well.

I’m fairly content with us playing 3 CB going forward as well. I know there’s a clamour for us to play 4 atb to get the extra att on. But I’ve quite enjoyed watching us this year for the majority and we are creating chances
If we are staying with 3 a new RWB becomes a top 3 need. Semedo kills our attacks. Personally I'd rather sign a mobile cf, put Cunha in behind and play a back 4, with the 3 only used for the top sides

If we are staying with 3 a new RWB becomes a top 3 need. Semedo kills our attacks. Personally I'd rather sign a mobile cf, put Cunha in behind and play a back 4, with the 3 only used for the top sides
Need 2 new CB's for that to work. But I don't disagree with you and I would prefer that to happen.

Particularly as the rest of the squad would work with that formation.

As you’ve said, a more dynamic RWB changes that as you’ve said. I’d be wanting that, along with another CB. With another CB who’s more confident on the ball, and quicker would mean you can be fluid in that formation, the right sided CB in effect becoming the RB at times in the game with the RWB just bombing on. Our centre halves, on the right side especially are limited in that. Bueno may be able to be that, but haven’t seen enough of him and what we have seen doesn’t suggest he is.

Need 2 new CB's for that to work. But I don't disagree with you and I would prefer that to happen.

Particularly as the rest of the squad would work with that formation.
I guess the worry with 4atb is RAN imo would get exposed abit.

But as mentioned it’s about being able to adapt to specific games and situations. With the lack of a centre forward (or faith in Sasa) and the limitations of the back 3/5 it means we on really set up one way currently

On today's BBC Gossip page:

Wolves are interested in Sevilla's 32-year-old Argentina defender Marcos Acuna, who is estimated to be worth 12m euros (£10.3m). (Todofichajes - in Spanish)

Sao Paolo are open to offers for Liverpool target Lucas Beraldo. Wolves had a bid rejected in the summer for the 20-year-old Brazil defender. (90min)

Can’t see us spending anywhere near £10m on a 32-year-old. It was bad enough signing a fullback/wingback/lumbering oaf on a free in the summer so hopefully that lesson is still recent enough to ensure we don’t make a similar mistake. Acura is undoubtedly a better player but nowhere near £10m better.

Fichajes is the most unreliable rumour source on gods clean earth. Ignore the twats. You will feel liberated.

Genuinely not sure what we’d learn from a loan in the Championship that we haven’t already.

If he can cut it in English football?
“English football” is reductive, there’s little to suggest that the step from MLS to Prem is any more steep than from Champ to Prem.

He’s already defended against players no Championship club could afford.

“English football” is reductive, there’s little to suggest that the step from MLS to Prem is any more steep than from Champ to Prem.

He’s already defended against players no Championship club could afford.
MLS attacking is well regarded as lower PL level, MLS defending is seen as Lg1 level.

The physicality of the game in the MLS isn't as much as any European league, let alone the most physical league in the world. That goes for the speed too.

Now that is subjective opinion from pundits and broadcasters so YMMV but Bear's point on testing Yerson in the Championship to assess him in English/ European conditions is a fair one. It should have also applied to Fabio Silva but that boat has sailed and subsequently sunk.

Back