• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

I’ll be clear here that my argument is that MLS and the Championship are not of significantly different quality anymore, less that MLS is “better” outright. Higher ceiling, lower floor in MLS, more consistent but more mid in the Championship.

Sending him back to such a similar level is a waste of time, IMO.

I’ll be clear here that my argument is that MLS and the Championship are not of significantly different quality anymore, less that MLS is “better” outright. Higher ceiling, lower floor in MLS, more consistent but more mid in the Championship.

It isn't a similar level physically or speed wise, the Championship is both more physical and faster.

I'd agree with you on quality.

It isn't a similar level physically or speed wise, the Championship is both more physical and faster.

I'd agree with you on quality.
Totally disagree with this tbh.

Physicality I can’t touch because so much is in the eye of the beholder, but every time I go back to the Champ I’m stunned by how slow it is. Didn’t feel that way when we were down there.

As I said YMMV and the pundits and Europeans may be wrong.

In this case, I don't think so and neither do the club which do want him to have the physical test of the Championship.

I think they were talking about sending him somewhere where he'd be forced to do a bit more 'defending'. As good as he's been in Cinci it hasn't exactly been hard for him as they've been clearly one of the best teams in the league while he's been there.

6 months on loan at a mid/lower end Championship club could be really good for him, even if his level is clearly above that already.

A loan to a lower La Liga team might be a better bet though if there are clubs interested at that level. More of a test and no language barrier for him.

This has got me interested in the history of players moving from Champ/lower to MLS. If I have to eat crow I’ll report back.

Suffice to say that the days of uncovering guys like BWP are behind MLS (even then, you can’t ignore that it was lightning in a bottle to have Bradley sign for NYRB, who were essentially the perfect tactical fit for his skillset).

I think they were talking about sending him somewhere where he'd be forced to do a bit more 'defending'. As good as he's been in Cinci it hasn't exactly been hard for him as they've been clearly one of the best teams in the league while he's been there.

6 months on loan at a mid/lower end Championship club could be really good for him, even if his level is clearly above that already.

A loan to a lower La Liga team might be a better bet though if there are clubs interested at that level. More of a test and no language barrier for him.
Fair point, hadn’t considered that.

You’re definitely right in that FCC did have a lot of troubleless matches.

Physicality I can’t touch because so much is in the eye of the beholder, but every time I go back to the Champ I’m stunned by how slow it is. Didn’t feel that way when we were down there.
Something you might find interesting:

Sprints per competition (2020/21)
Speed and distance stats

The MLS distances covered is on a par with most leagues but the average speed and number of sprints in the top 3 leagues is phenomenal in comparison.

Didn't Matt Miazga get MLS Defender of the Year or something? I don't know if he stood out much at Reading.

(Maybe Miazga was carried by Yerson?)

• Love
Reactions: Doc
I've mentioned him before, but I'd like us to test the water with Arsenal for a loan of Reiss Nelson, if we're unable to get someone permanently and have to go down the loan route. Can play on either side, has pace and skill, is direct and looks a real talent. Barely getting a look in there this season.

I know some don't see the point in "developing a player for someone else", but if he improves us (which he would) & offers us cover whilst Hwang is away (which he will), I'd be all for it.

He's not really a kid, he's 24 on Sunday. I don't think he's PL quality.

He's not really a kid, he's 24 on Sunday. I don't think he's PL quality.
You might be right, but he's never really had the chance or opportunity to play regularly in the top flight so no one will know for sure until he does. For what it's worth, I don't think he's Arsenal PL quality, but for a club like us, I think he'd be an astute signing.

He's only ever really shown anything at Hoffenheim and that was 5 years ago now. Looks to me like one where people will be going on about his "potential" when he's 31. I'd want much better than him if we sign someone. He's in the Nathan Redmond/Demarai Gray bracket of wingers who don't actually score or create.

Didn't Matt Miazga get MLS Defender of the Year or something? I don't know if he stood out much at Reading.

(Maybe Miazga was carried by Yerson?)
This is 100% my read on it fwiw.

Miazga is good for this level but not DotY good.

He's only ever really shown anything at Hoffenheim and that was 5 years ago now. Looks to me like one where people will be going on about his "potential" when he's 31. I'd want much better than him if we sign someone. He's in the Nathan Redmond/Demarai Gray bracket of wingers who don't actually score or create.
We'll agree to disagree 😂

João has blown hot and cold of late for me and Boubacar still scares the piss out of me with all his lunging. Brownhill on the cheapish at least gives us more top level experience when Lemina can't play.

I dunno, I don't feel comfortable without Joao or Lemina in the team personally. I would quite like another as I don't think Doyle looks ready and Traore is very erratic. Brownhill is a solid player tbf, if not very imaginative.

Well ideally Gomes’ form stays consistently good and it becomes a non-issue.

Where we don’t want to be is starting Traore and Doyle together again with, uh, who exactly on the bench for them? Hodge?

Back