• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

I really don't know how we're gunna resolve the Fabio issue. Ideally sell him for both our and his benefit, but who will stump up the cash? Can't see him being valued more than 5m and that's pushing it. Doubt the club will to take that kind of hit. Just leaves a series of loans for a long time.
Transfer markt has him at 15million. Not a chance

Obviously the Saudis can afford to throw ridiculous money at players but it does seem odd that they seem to make offers the selling club don’t even need to think twice about.

Mendes

By throwing money at transfers it mitigates the risk of the big clubs/leagues kicking off as the Saudi league is basically another cash cow.

By throwing money at transfers it mitigates the risk of the big clubs/leagues kicking off as the Saudi league is basically another cash cow.
We certainly weren’t complaining when they bought Neves. Makes more sense than Mendes.

Think Sa is another player that’s improved under GON.
I think he's been shite. Along with the obvious errors he's gotten away with a few shockers and I can only think of Everton where he's made saves he probably wouldn't be expected to and kept us in the game. It shouldn't have taken O'Neil coming in to cut out the 'craziness' as he calls it, Sá is 30 now it should've been knocked on the head years ago but his entire career has been riddled with mistakes. Even though he's had a few howler free weeks you just know that the next one is right around the corner.

He's also an obvious hindrance to any team looking to build from the back and is always a risk if we decide to play a high line. If O'Neil wants us to 'do a bit of everything' as he said then we need a better footballer in that position.

For £40M I think we could find a player just as good for 1/4 the price who suits the way we play far more than Sá does.

Mendes gets the deal done, over inflates the fee. Saudi’s ain’t arsed, keeps selling club sweet, Mendes gets a cut.

Selling club in “debt” to Mendes, they then goes on to sign a player, Mendes gets a cut…

Mendes is keeping all sides sweet and of course himself.

Mendes gets the deal done, over inflates the fee. Saudi’s ain’t arsed, keeps selling club sweet, Mendes get a cut.

Selling club in “debt” to Mendes, they then goes on to sign a player, Mendes get a cut…

Mendes is keeping all sides sweet and of course himself.
Good work if you can get it.

I often wonder how difficult it really is for Mendes to wear so many masks. Maybe not at all, who knows.

I think he's been shite. Along with the obvious errors he's gotten away with a few shockers and I can only think of Everton where he's made saves he probably wouldn't be expected to and kept us in the game. It shouldn't have taken O'Neil coming in to cut out the 'craziness' as he calls it, Sá is 30 now it should've been knocked on the head years ago but his entire career has been riddled with mistakes. Even though he's had a few howler free weeks you just know that the next one is right around the corner.

He's also an obvious hindrance to any team looking to build from the back and is always a risk if we decide to play a high line. If O'Neil wants us to 'do a bit of everything' as he said then we need a better footballer in that position.

For £40M I think we could find a player just as good for 1/4 the price who suits the way we play far more than Sá does.
This is a bit harsh surely? I think he has improved this season. There's definitely been less 'craziness' of late. Yes that should have been kicked out of him years ago but as long as he's getting over it now, that's a good thing.
The only reason we got him is because of his shortcomings/price.
Obviously if someone offers 40m he'll be gone and rightly so. As long as we get someone better (or no worse) for 10m then happy days.

30 is still a good age for a keeper.

Who are we going to pick up for 10million that's definitely going to be better than Sa?

We've had the discussion a few times, but the standard of goalkeeping in the Premier League is the lowest its been for a few years - because so much more is expected from a keeper than it used to be.
There are only 5 or 6 that I'd have over Sa:

Allison
Ederson (even he doesn't look as imperious as he has done)
Martinez (although he can be batshit at times and can act the cunt),
Pickford (as above)
Vicario (he's looked excellent)
Raya

Then there is Ramsdale and Sanchez, I can't stand Ramsdale (but he's probably a better keeper than Sa, but is prone to awful errors) and Sanchez is car crash at the moment.

Pope is crap, and then there is £50million quid Onana. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

He’s not been “shite”, because he’s improved in recent weeks by not having any major braindead moments. But I do agree with the overall sentiment of your post in that that we can find a better goalkeeper more suited for the way we want to play.

He had his moment against Spurs, that lad from Forest just didn’t punish it.

In the first minute too, wasn’t it?
I'm thinking of something different. I think it was about half an hour in? We turn possession over cheaply and Sá has wandered about 12 yards out the goalmouth. Johnson just gets his shot completely wrong.

Clip not available in the US, I'm afraid. I'll see if I can find the timestamp in the OS highlights.

Moment starts @ 7:50, although in fairness it plays out way differently to how I remembered. I'm still not sure what Sá is doing (he's still lost in no-man's land) but it's not as awful as I recalled it to be.

Back