• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that some people want to rationalise selling him by making it out like he's not really that good.
More trying to rationalise it on the hope/blind faith that the money from his sale would be reinvested in 3 players.

If we sacrifice for Nunes to actually be able to buy players then probably worth it*. If we sell Nunes for non footballing reasons they can get in the fucking sea

*I mean we could actually keep him AND buy players but we have decided that's a daft idea.

I think he has been quite instrumental, along with Cunha, in most of our good attacking play in the 2 games this season. Unfortunately we are wasteful in front of goal. I get that some people want to rationalise selling him by making it out like he's not really that good. But he is really that good. He is one of our 2 best players. And it isn't even that close.

I disagree, particularly in regards your previous post about his intelligence and awareness, I just don't see that in him at all, at least not consistently. Technically he's very good with the ball at his feet, along with the agility and speed to make use of it wriggling out of tight areas and advancing up the field but to me that doesn't show any sign of intelligence, I see that as being far more instinctive. Don't get me wrong it looks great when it happens and by no means is it something that any old player can replicate but at the same time it's it's a fairly narrow skillset.

I think it's easy to get carried away when players are capable of doing these great things individually, it's really impressive to watch but at the end of the day it's a team game and I don't see much from him so far that really weds into that. In the same way we saw with Traore previously teams can group together to overcome that individualism, crowding people out, guiding them into dead ends or just rotating tactical fouls. What really separates the top level players is the ability to take advantage of those situations by dragging opponents out of position when they receive that sort of attention to create space for others or quickly offloading the ball into spaces they've vacated and have them chasing shadows. I don't see that awareness yet from Nunes, and I've seen enough brain farts from him to be sceptical it'll ever come for him.

I disagree
giphy.gif

I'm not talking quality, I'm talking output.

The most effective players aren't always the ones that look the slickest, for all Nunes' surging runs and twisting out of tight spots, what has he actually produced?
If you take Nunes out of this Wolves team and put him in the current City one, with the quality they have, he absolutely thrives. He has the skill set and attributes to play at the very top of the game and with better players around him, more consistent end product will come. I find it unbelievable that some can’t see it.

Adama, for all his physical attributes and the excitement they brought when he properly opened up, just wouldn’t have had the same impact. Once you got past his pace, he didn’t have the technical ability to bring it all together, and would continue to smack crosses in to row Z regardless of who he played for. That’s ultimately why a top tier club never came in for him (you could say he had a chance to prove himself at Barca but he was swiftly back on bench duty).

Comparing them is silly.

If you take Nunes out of this Wolves team and put him in the current City one, with the quality they have, he absolutely thrives. He has the skill set and attributes to play at the very top of the game and with better players around him, more consistent end product will come. I find it unbelievable that some can’t see it.

Adama, for all his physical attributes and the excitement they brought when he properly opened up, just wouldn’t have had the same impact. Once you got past his pace, he didn’t have the technical ability to bring it all together, and would continue to smack crosses in to row Z regardless of who he played for. That’s ultimately why a top tier club never came in for him (you could say he had a chance to prove himself at Barca but he was swiftly back on bench duty).

Comparing them is silly.

Maybe we'll get to see in the near future, I don't suddenly see him popping off slick give and goes, threading near through balls and losing his apparent fear of scoring just because there are better players around him though. Regardless of who's around him the emphasis is still on him to make the correct decisions in those moments and I haven't seen anything like enough evidence yet that he's capable of doing so.

Comparing them is silly.
I don't really care too much about how he'd get on at City, if we lost Matheus I'd just be upset about losing his quality.

I thought we were starting to build a real identity through pre season and the opening game, a hard working, compact, dynamic side which unbalanced opposition teams with direct running and aggressive counter pressing and players like Matheus, Neto & Cunha are key to that.

We can sell him and try and replace him but with all due respect to our recruitment team there's no way they're going to be able to find anyone who offers what Matheus does with the budget they'll be given. He's a fairly unique player, it's not like someone like Lemina who, while quality, could be replaced with the right scouting and a relatively low expenditure.

Wonder how Nunes will play this. No doubt moved to us as Jorge has told him "go there and you will get your move to a bigger club soon". Then the biggest club in the country come knocking and we tell them to piss off.

You would hope Hobbs and co are currently finding the deleted folder called Plan B transfers, seeing who is left and speaking with the clubs/players in anticipation of another bid and the player saying "I want to go"

Its easy to be negative and presume they won't do the above and we will be firing desperate bids all over the shop on deadline day instead

It was £38m + extras I think that would bring it up to £42m

So as it stands, we are on the verge of getting rid of £85m worth of transfers inside a year. 2 gone and 1 we can't push out of the door quick enough.
Anyone involved in that summer shouldn't be at the club anymore. Scott has gone....just 1 more man from the very top to go.
Recruitment last summer was dreadful (ins & outs).

Our defensive options were depleted, no obliterated. So much so it's still a problem now.

Letting perfectly good squad depth leave for a pittance or nothing and hugely overpaying on players that underperformed or were predictably injured.

I don't really care too much about how he'd get on at City, if we lost Matheus I'd just be upset about losing his quality.

I thought we were starting to build a real identity through pre season and the opening game, a hard working, compact, dynamic side which unbalanced opposition teams with direct running and aggressive counter pressing and players like Matheus, Neto & Cunha are key to that.

We can sell him and try and replace him but with all due respect to our recruitment team there's no way they're going to be able to find anyone who offers what Matheus does with the budget they'll be given. He's a fairly unique player, it's not like someone like Lemina who, while quality, could be replaced with the right scouting and a relatively low expenditure.
I don't see much difference in the style of play between Nunes and Cunha. It would probably suit Cunha to play a more withdrawn role where he can carry the ball from deep.

Quite a significant gap that, don't expect City to get anywhere near as high.

£65m. That's 13 Aaron Cresswells. Total squad rebuild. Result.

*These are the delusional thoughts of Jeff Shi, not mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back