• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen a few tweets that clubs are eager to sell off before the 30th June due to how the financial year works and how it can really help FFP, so that explains a lot.

Seen a few tweets that clubs are eager to sell off before the 30th June due to how the financial year works and how it can really help FFP, so that explains a lot.
IIRC, Post balance sheet events count for FFP purposes so whether it’s 30th June or 16th July it doesn’t make a difference.

Whisper it softly, but perhaps Hobbs is competent?

I don't think that's true.
Guessing some people plucking stuff out of the air based on what we are told regarding clubs like Porto who always need to sell to balance books by the end of June. Which is usually for UEFA's FFP or risk getting kicked out of the CL.

If he turns out good I think it'll say more about JL's rating of a young player during his time here than a regret that we sold a player for profit who was inconsistent and couldn't hold down a starting spot.

CB is a high priority and now with his transfer and Neves' money there's a spot and money to find our own first choice in the £15-£20M range

I think Collins will do well for Brentford but it's pointless keeping someone who the manager isn't going to play so it makes sense to move on.
Absolutely. I get what some are saying that he's young and CBs tend to improve with experience, but I dont think JL wants to wait. Lopetegui clearly wants a CB option of his own choice, Collins is already down the pecking order after Dawson and Kilman, so he'd be 4 choice (not forgetting we have another young CB in Toti).
At 23m and a small profit it's a no brainer.

Better to have the money tied up in a player who can deliver now rather than in a few years.

If we had a trusted CB partnership we could rely on for the next few years then that would change the context, and probably the clubs approach to Collins.

So if all goes through that’s £77.5m on one player we knew was moving and two who the manager doesn’t fancy.
Problem is the twitter mafia will see it as the go ahead for a spending splurge of similar value. They’re going to be very disappointed.

So if all goes through that’s £77.5m on one player we knew was moving and two who the manager doesn’t fancy.
Problem is the twitter mafia will see it as the go ahead for a spending splurge of similar value. They’re going to be very disappointed.
Given amortisation, it should see a splurge of a similar value?

I think Collins will do well for Brentford but it's pointless keeping someone who the manager isn't going to play so it makes sense to move on.
Hard to know how he will do . He'll still low on confidence after last season and needs to find his level . From the players point of view it makes sense as he clearly wants to play first team football or at least have a good chance of doing so . If the Manager has clearly said that he is 4th choice behind Dawson , Kilman and Toti ( and that's even before we sign somewhere ) , then he effectively might not even make the bench .
If it is 23million or so then it's a great deal for Wolves as well .

Yes - harsh on a player who has only just joined us , but that's football at this level .

Any concern over FFP should be completely banished with the outgoing business and contract expirations we've seen so far this Summer. If they want to do it on a zero net transfer spend that's fair enough, but have the grace to say that's the strategy rather than briefing bullshit to PTS and little Liam

Given amortisation, it should see a splurge of a similar value?
We could potentially spend that much but it'd be spread over 6-7 players (I do genuinely think we need that many) and there will be more outgoings on top over these initial sales as well.

If we spent £60m on 4 players I'd be happy. I still expect one or 2 to leave after Collins too.

True, but getting the sales out of the way (and at higher than expected prices, IMO) can only be a good thing.
Its only a good thing if we actually do something with a money, otherwise its just asset stripping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back