• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why it's down to me all of a sudden but I'd be happy with Kelleher.

Did you watch those videos, fair to say more than 2 goals were his fault, no?
Well when someone is so critical of something it's usually expected that they have a solution?

How much do you think Kelleher would cost us? More than the 15mill we'd get for Sa? I do.

Plus would he even come?

I was quoting the Premier League site, not my opinion, it was just a decent go to neutral stat.

I've never said he's perfect, but I think you criticise him way over the top. I mean the Leicester 4-0 he should do better on the Maddison goal, perhaps, but the others are good goals, particularly the Teilemens one, no one is saving that.

I've seen him make plenty of good saves too, and how many consecutive home clean sheets was it? An obvious recent good performance is Palace too.

And yeah I get you spend a lot of money, maybe chill out with the criticism and you'd enjoy it more?

Who would you replace him with Dan? You say it'd be easy.

Name names?
I like Gavin Bazuna at Southampton and he's young so could fill that role out for the next decade, but he did eventually lose his place in a team that went down last season (quite how much of that was him and quite how much of it was the manager doing anything he could to stumble on to something that worked - he didn't - I'm not sure).

Seems a very realistic signing and wouldn't cost a fortune, but probably isn't the profile we want in a goalkeeper right now. But the fact I'm suggesting a player that was part of a relegated squad, who lost his place in the starting 11 at the end of the season rather than Sa, says everything you need to know.

I was quoting the Premier League site, not my opinion, it was just a decent go to neutral stat.
It's quite obviously wrong there though isn't it, why quote it when you know it is. I don't know how they measure it but it's not right as there are five right there (and you've added another one since!) AT LEAST that were awful by him. It's more than one in the Brighton game.

Let's not go down the road of "you can't name anyone so it isn't that easy". I'm not tasked with watching every top level keeper in Europe. What I do know is we can't carry on with someone who gives so many away (not 2 a season).

I believe statistically the worst keeper in the Prem last season.

He was dreadful but this suggestion should distract Deutsch from Sa for a while, so thank you for that
Funny how the GK playing for the shittest team in the PL has bad stats.

Loves a save.

Probably not even remotely on our radar so don't stress too much. If nothing else this is a good example of why suggesting names is a shit idea.

Person A: suggests name

Person B: They're dreadful!

End of discussion.

It's quite obviously wrong there though isn't it, why quote it when you know it is. I don't know how they measure it but it's not right as there are five right there (and you've added another one since!) AT LEAST that were awful by him. It's more than one in the Brighton game.

Let's not go down the road of "you can't name anyone so it isn't that easy". I'm not tasked with watching every top level keeper in Europe. What I do know is we can't carry on with someone who gives so many away (not 2 a season).
Well I didn't add another, unlike yourself I was trying to look objectively at this idea that the 4 shots 4 goals thing was Sa's fault.

And your second paragraph is just deflection, Bazuma (Jesus fucking christ) and Kelleher are the two suggestions so far.

I think a very important point is that the different way in which keepers are now expected to perform means that they are inconsistent, they do make mistakes and that means the general quality isn't as high as it used to he when what was expected was lower.

Ederson and Becker have made goal costing mistakes this season, and they're the very best. Lloris, De Gea, Ramsdale have too, plenty of them!

We're a mid table team with a mid table keeper, who on his day can be one of the best in the league, and at his worst the opposite.

Getting rid of Sa isn't the priority you believe it to be.

I like Gavin Bazuna at Southampton and he's young so could fill that role out for the next decade, but he did eventually lose his place in a team that went down last season (quite how much of that was him and quite how much of it was the manager doing anything he could to stumble on to something that worked - he didn't - I'm not sure).

Seems a very realistic signing and wouldn't cost a fortune, but probably isn't the profile we want in a goalkeeper right now. But the fact I'm suggesting a player that was part of a relegated squad, who lost his place in the starting 11 at the end of the season rather than Sa, says everything you need to know.
Saints fan I work with hates Bazuna more than I think I've ever hated any Wolves player. Might have something to do with the fact that he used to play for Pompey though...

We're a mid table team with a mid table keeper, who on his day can be one of the best in the league, and at his worst the opposite.

Getting rid of Sa isn't the priority you believe it to be.
So you say.

I'd say while we operate on such thin margins (we rarely score more than 2 a game, often not even that), having someone who is liable to give away a terrible goal at any given moment - and I've just shown you a load of examples that even you can't dispute, and I could pull up more - is not sustainable.

The problem with assessing Kelleher is that he has played so little . He gets cup matches which would be one match per month at best and then long durations with no games at all at the top level .
Playing something like 15 matches on the trot in the League would answers those questions because it's weekend after weekend with the odd mid week match thrown in . That's the kind of pressure I'd like to see any goalkeeper under to assess him , and Bazuna has had that .

I'm not advocating either , I'm just saying that to assess them properly they will need to have played on a regular basis . Kelleher chose to stay and sit on the bench , Bazuna chose to go on loan down to League 1 and elsewhere , and got a first team slot as a result .

Person A: suggests name

Person B: They're dreadful!

End of discussion.
I am basing my opinion on what I saw when watching Southampton games last season and he was dreadful and rightly dropped. If you saw something different then good stuff.

3 teams that got relegated had the 3 worst keepers (all got dropped way to late as well). I wouldn't want any of them to replace Sa.

Sa is ok if you want to piss around mid-lower table positions. I am guessing Lop's doesn't want to do that so will look to move him on.

Who we get to replace, non of the keepers that finished below us please and then I couldn't give you a name. I think Sa will go but I also think I will be in a minority on here when I say, if he doesn't I won't be overly upset or ranting about it.

So you say.

I'd say while we operate on such thin margins (we rarely score more than 2 a game, often not even that), having someone who is liable to give away a terrible goal at any given moment - and I've just shown you a load of examples that even you can't dispute, and I could pull up more - is not sustainable.
You haven't shown me loads of examples at all, there are some he could have done better on, actual genuine howlers? How many are you saying? 10? 15? You must be if it's "give away a terrible goal at any time" which is just bollocks.

He's pulled off plenty of above average saves too.

The problem with assessing Kelleher is that he has played so little . He gets cup matches which would be one match per month at best and then long durations with no games at all at the top level .
Playing something like 15 matches on the trot in the League would answers those questions because it's weekend after weekend with the odd mid week match thrown in . That's the kind of pressure I'd like to see any goalkeeper under to assess him , and Bazuna has had that .

I'm not advocating either , I'm just saying that to assess them properly they will need to have played on a regular basis . Kelleher chose to stay and sit on the bench , Bazuna chose to go on loan down to League 1 and elsewhere , and got a first team slot as a result .
I think the 'problem' with Kelleher would be the price unfortunately. Liverpool somehow manage to charge a fortune for their fringe players these days.

I've just given you 6 (let's stick on two for the Brighton game) and they aren't "could have done better", they're bloody awful.

Let's go with the Leeds one (we were 1-0 up so even fails your "didn't matter" metric). That's just "could have done better"? Really? Ignoring that he should have given a penalty away five minutes earlier with some awful keeping, also on the video.

That's a surprisingly high volume of clean sheets for a keeper who is "giving a terrible goal away at any given time"

It's just bollocks, I know you don't like him, just don't be so over the top.

You can argue black is white if you want but I think I'm done.

I've shown you a load of awful goals he conceded last season (3x the amount you originally claimed), far from the full selection I could put up, and you won't have it, so I don't know where to go.

Do they have a stat on unpunished feck ups by keepers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back