• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Scott but looking at his qualities and the roles available in our most used formations I don't think it's a great fit.

In our 4-4-1-1 he'd either play as the wide midfielder who moves inside to help create an overload in the middle (Matheus) or as the second striker (hopefully Cunha nails down this spot). We definitely need to sign a player who can play these roles as there isn't much depth but I'm not sure we can justify spending so much on a player who, at 18 years old, is inevitably going to spend most of the season backing up far better, more valuable and more experienced players.

In a 4-3-3 he'd be one of the '8's pushing forward to support the front 3 so he'd be behind Matheus, Boubacar & João Gomes. Again, we need to sign someone who can do this but I think there are cheaper options available and if our budget is limited it might not be so sensible to used a big chunk of it on a player who might not be ready to start consistently.

I like Scott but looking at his qualities and the roles available in our most used formations I don't think it's a great fit.

In our 4-4-1-1 he'd either play as the wide midfielder who moves inside to help create an overload in the middle (Matheus) or as the second striker (hopefully Cunha nails down this spot). We definitely need to sign a player who can play these roles as there isn't much depth but I'm not sure we can justify spending so much on a player who, at 18 years old, is inevitably going to spend most of the season backing up far better, more valuable and more experienced players.

In a 4-3-3 he'd be one of the '8's pushing forward to support the front 3 so he'd be behind Matheus, Boubacar & João Gomes. Again, we need to sign someone who can do this but I think there are cheaper options available and if our budget is limited it might not be so sensible to used a big chunk of it on a player who might not be ready to start consistently.
I wonder if Lop is moving to his favoured 4-3-3 with Ocampos linked. That would suggest Scott being a very good fit as one of the 8's along with Boubacar and Cundle. I think Gomes will fight with Lemina for that deep midfield slot.

And we need to have a lot of midfield options if we are going to do that.

Even if we signed those two I think we need a wide goalscorer (I'd look at Harrison from Leeds) and an attacking RB to be really good to go. I'd also sell Nunes as I don't think he fits in that system, even though his skillset suggests he should.

With this wingless 4-4-2 Lop has played I don't see where Lop would play Ocampos but agree with Scott tucked in from the left.

Still means we need an attacking RB, CB and STR.

I wonder if Lop is moving to his favoured 4-3-3 with Ocampos linked. That would suggest Scott being a very good fit as one of the 8's along with Boubacar and Cundle. I think Gomes will fight with Lemina for that deep midfield slot.

And we need to have a lot of midfield options if we are going to do that.

Even if we signed those two I think we need a wide goalscorer (I'd look at Harrison from Leeds) and an attacking RB to be really good to go. I'd also sell Nunes as I don't think he fits in that system, even though his skillset suggests he should.

With this wingless 4-4-2 Lop has played I don't see where Lop would play Ocampos but agree with Scott tucked in from the left.

Still means we need an attacking RB, CB and STR.
I think Lopetegui will always switch between formations depending on opposition/game situations.

Gomes can play 8 or 6 but I think Lemina will play every game that he's not injured/suspended so in a 4-3-3 he'll get most of his game time as one of the 8's.

In the 4-4-1-1 Ocampos would play on the opposite side to the wide midfielder who tucks in (Matheus) or as a second striker. Not sure if he's ever played there before but he's certainly got the physicality & box presence to do it. Either that or when he plays wide it frees up Neto/Sarabia to play central? A bit weird but I'm not totally against it.

4-4-1-1 Midfield/Forward options:

Kalajdzic/New

Cunha/New

Neto/Sarabia ---- Gomes/Lemina ---- Boubacar/New ---- Matheus/Hwang

4-3-3 Midfield/Forward options:

Neto/Sarabia ---- Kalajdzic/New ---- Cunha/Hwang

Matheus/Boubacar ---- Lemina/Gomes ---- Gomes/New

That's assuming Podence, Raúl, Silva etc will go and I've left Cundle & Chiquinho out as they're probably going to be out on loan.

Are there?

Adama probably going
Not sure that's a long term position for Matheus
Sarabia isn't a winger
Podence is up for sale
Neto better on the left
Hwang can't play there (or anywhere)

With new additions:

4-4-1-1 Midfield/Forward options:

Kalajdzic/ New

Cunha/ Cundle

Neto/Scott ---- Gomes/Lemina ---- Boubacar/ New ---- Matheus/ Ocampos

4-3-3 Midfield/Forward options:

Neto/ New ---- Kalajdzic/Cunha ---- Sarabia/Ocampos

Scott/ Cundle ---- Boubacar/ Matheus
Lemina/Gomes

Horses for courses and 4 players including Scott and Ocampos needed whichever system we use. I do think we might try to get a wide forward who can play central and I've left Cundle in as I think Lop might like him 😁.

I think Chiquinho goes out on loan too.

Chiquinho is 24 during the course of the season. We shouldn't be loaning out players like that, waste of everyone's time.
Agreed. Plus he's no different to Sasa in that he's coming back from a long term injury. At least Chiquinho has proven he looks half decent here. I'd keep him and have him as part of the squad. Offers something different.

Chiquinho is 24 during the course of the season. We shouldn't be loaning out players like that, waste of everyone's time.
Not in his case, I think it gets him up to speed following a serious injury. He's barely played any to class football.

A championship loan until Jan would do him good

Agreed. Plus he's no different to Sasa in that he's coming back from a long term injury. At least Chiquinho has proven he looks half decent here. I'd keep him and have him as part of the squad. Offers something different.
Comparing the two is silly. Chiquinho has played 23 top flight games. 15 in Portugal. 8 games for Wolves is no proof of anything. Tongo Doumbia had at least 8.

Sasa has 51 in the Bundesliga with 22 goals. He's proved it

Traore B , Chiquinho , Neto , Lemina , Gomes , Sarabia , Cunha .........there's 7 players ( assuming they are fit ) who should be starting our matches next season or coming on as subs .
Not convinced by Nunes at all , not aggressive enough so far . Podence should be sold , Adama will walk on 30/06 anyway . Cundle - not sure yet if we loan him again or take the cash if an offer comes in .

Sasa as well along with I'm not really sure . Will Fabio return or will we just sell him and finally secure a regular scoring striker from somewhere else .

Jiminez will leave one would think , Costa is already gone so we could be very light up front shortly .

Traore B , Chiquinho , Neto , Lemina , Gomes , Sarabia , Cunha .........there's 7 players ( assuming they are fit ) who should be starting our matches next season or coming on as subs .
Not convinced by Nunes at all , not aggressive enough so far . Podence should be sold , Adama will walk on 30/06 anyway . Cundle - not sure yet if we loan him again or take the cash if an offer comes in .

Sasa as well along with I'm not really sure . Will Fabio return or will we just sell him and finally secure a regular scoring striker from somewhere else .

Jiminez will leave one would think , Costa is already gone so we could be very light up front shortly .
Genuine question, do you read any of the other posts or just put your thoughts down on here?

Ideally we'll be getting rid of Adama and Podence, so I think another winger us needed even if Lop doesn't play with traditional wide players. Feeling like one of the first things (along with ST target) we need to make a decision on is goalie, are they backing in Sa? Otherwise I think a new goalie needs to be bought in as early as possible.

Ideally we'll be getting rid of Adama and Podence, so I think another winger us needed even if Lop doesn't play with traditional wide players. Feeling like one of the first things (along with ST target) we need to make a decision on is goalie, are they backing in Sa? Otherwise I think a new goalie needs to be bought in as early as possible.
It comes down to priorities I think . A scoring forward is top of the shopping list and everything after that is of lessor importance and people can list them off in order of the next most important as they wish .
JL was a goalkeeper himself - so perhaps he considers a solid man between the sticks as most important of all . For me it's a striker all day long .

There shouldn't be an order as such, we need all of a goalkeeper, a centre half and a striker as an absolute bare minimum. Which one gets here first isn't relevant so long as they all do in plenty of time before the Man Utd game, if one or more of them don't come then we're in trouble as those currently at the club are substandard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back