• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Closer to home too I think. If they do go up can’t imagine he’ll play much. Perhaps transition into TV

Feels like he should get into coaching, but I suppose that's his call.

As for Luton, feels like they'll be hard pressed to genuinely improve. If my agent told me that they were interested, I'd respond "no ta, I'd like to win more than twice next year".

Wolves club captain & England international > Wolves bench > Everton > Everton bench > drop to the Championship

We’ve had the whole Lage/Coads discussion before, so no point going over it again. But that’s quite the fall from grace in a relatively quick time period, all to go and be a cheerleader at the World Cup for a few weeks. I’m sure he’ll have fantastic memories of that experience, but his club career has taken a real hit because of it.

His exit and the way it’s panned out for him is sad to see, but he’ll always be a Wolves legend (same as Neves & Moutinho), and I personally wish him nothing but the best and hope he can get back to playing regularly.

What was his alternative to going to Everton? I’m not sure going there has impacted his career, he was playing every week up until March.

He filled a niche role in a back 3 here aided by his leadership, effort and determination. He has always been a pretty limited footballer. A shit championship CM/RB to league winner, PL captain, Europa league QF, FA cup semi, England international is a more meteoric rise than this fall.

He never was and never will be good enough as an orthodox defender at this level. So if he wants to play then he’s going to have to drop back down.

He stays and his club and international career takes a hit.

An outside chance he does ok stepping in for Collins but we would have played the higher back 4 and he would have been screwed by that.
Would Davis have moved us to a back 5 and salvaged his World Cup spot...maybe but probably not.

We all take the piss and mention his cheerleader duties for England but he has been to a World Cup.
Hands up anyone who wouldn't want to be part of a national squad at the biggest tournament in football. Cheerleader or not, what an experience and not bad for a lad who not that long ago was a shite Championship midfielder or a meh right back as long as he didn't cross the half way line.

A drop to Leicester isn't that big a drop really. Another chance to grab some glory and a club I presume will be the favourites to come up.

I wouldn't say he threw anything away just to play for England. He had to do something.

Rest of your post @ Jinky on his status at the club and his playing career kicks on again I agree with.

The Luton DOF or Chairman was on Fivelive last night and basically said that they wouldn’t be breaking the bank signing players or on expensive contracts. More Blackpool than Nottingham Forest was what he was alluding to and stated that those who got them promoted would be given the chance with one or two additions on top.
As for Coady, it’s not a fall from grace in my opinion. He’s got plenty of suitors by the sound of it and a signing recommended by the best coach in the game is not something to be sniffed at.

Will we be in a position of weakness with Coads in terms of fee?

Well documented what Everton's option was so it would be easier for clubs to say 'what changed from last year? plus he's lost his England spot since then'

Realistically to me the most we can hope for is the Everton option + loan fee. We can't really say 'nah, we value him more now lads'

Unless Leicester ask Forest to make a bid to twist our arm (ha)

I don't we will have asked for more than the £4.5m Everton were going pay

Wolves club captain & England international > Wolves bench > Everton > Everton bench > drop to the Championship

We’ve had the whole Lage/Coads discussion before, so no point going over it again. But that’s quite the fall from grace in a relatively quick time period, all to go and be a cheerleader at the World Cup for a few weeks. I’m sure he’ll have fantastic memories of that experience, but his club career has taken a real hit because of it.

His exit and the way it’s panned out for him is sad to see, but he’ll always be a Wolves legend (same as Neves & Moutinho), and I personally wish him nothing but the best and hope he can get back to playing regularly.
You could compare him to doc I’d say. We had a very bespoke position for him where he flourished in centre of a back 3 with how we played. But really quite limited a player

He played such a niche role as stated and was excellent at that for a while. Can understand why Luton would value that as based on the limited amounts of them I have seen I could see it working in a similar capacticy, hit the wingers, hit the channels for the strikers to challenge etc.

Being at Everton was different but would want him to succeed wherever he goes.

I’m hoping we are definitely buying at least one new centre half.

But, if we’re not, I make Coady the second best centre back we currently have at the club - even in a back four.

I’d certainly make sure we’ve got decent incomings in that position - apart from Dawson, I wouldn’t give a toss about any of the others……they’re crap.

I'd be very surprised if we didn't pick up at least one centre back like Garcia from Osasuna.

I’m hoping we are definitely buying at least one new centre half.

But, if we’re not, I make Coady the second best centre back we currently have at the club - even in a back four.

I’d certainly make sure we’ve got decent incomings in that position - apart from Dawson, I wouldn’t give a toss about any of the others……they’re crap.

Toti is decent.

I would pick Coady ahead of Kilman or Collins if we had a game tomorrow but that's more an indictment on them.

I think Toti is OK as cover at left back I wouldn't want him starting too many games at CB in a 4 though really.

He's quick, good in the air and aggressive.

Kilman and Collins are 0/3 and 1/3 respectively on that front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back