• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always get a little shiver up my spine when I see Collins' name on the teamsheet. Can't exactly put my finger on it, but think it's because he just doesn't instill any kind of confidence in me. He seems to have 1-2 gaffs in him every game, seems weak in the air and in one on one duels, and always seems awkward with the ball at his feet. I get there's the whole 'egg on face' thing that's no doubt going through Shi & Co's head in respect to selling him and that he could potentially turn in to a decent top flight defender, but honestly, if Brentford are offering anything around £25m, I'd probably take that and get in a player that Lop wants. Plus we've got Dawson and the emergence of Toti.

The nature of football means you'll always sell players along the way and they'll go on to prove you wrong. Look for how long and how well Paul McGrath played after Fergie decided he was finished, there are thousands of examples.

At least here you're doing it while still getting in a big fee, we can't dither around and worry about what if. As it stands he isn't good enough and the manager rarely picks him. I keep saying it, we need to improve on where we are, and quickly. Standing still when you're a good team is highly dangerous, doing so when you aren't that good is even more so.

As Langers has said, vanishingly few of the squad that I actually care about keeping.

Always get a little shiver up my spine when I see Collins' name on the teamsheet. Can't exactly put my finger on it, but think it's because he just doesn't instill any kind of confidence in me. He seems to have 1-2 gaffs in him every game, seems weak in the air and in one on one duels, and always seems awkward with the ball at his feet. I get there's the whole 'egg on face' thing that's no doubt going through Shi & Co's head in respect to selling him and that he could potentially turn in to a decent top flight defender, but honestly, if Brentford are offering anything around £25m, I'd probably take that and get in a player that Lop wants. Plus we've got Dawson and the emergence of Toti.
I agree with the sentiments but don’t think anyone will be getting egg on their face. At the end of the day we’re making a decent profit, we’re not selling at a loss like Fabio.

Plus we need someone now, we can’t wait for him to be good and currently I don’t think anyone would disagree that at the moment he isn’t good enough. Then there’s the line that we need to raise funds. This won’t be massive for FFP but will for cash flow.

In the hypothetical world he does become good, how much more is his fee going to increase to (ignoring inflation)? He’s got to become world class/big 6 material if we want the mega fees. Otherwise you’re not likely to get more than £30m anyway. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. The positives of selling him are massively outweighing the risky/unlikely negatives for our situation.

I agree with the sentiments but don’t think anyone will be getting egg on their face. At the end of the day we’re making a decent profit, we’re not selling at a loss like Fabio.

Plus we need someone now, we can’t wait for him to be good and currently I don’t think anyone would disagree that at the moment he isn’t good enough. Then there’s the line that we need to raise funds. This won’t be massive for FFP but will for cash flow.

In the hypothetical world he does become good, how much more is his fee going to increase to (ignoring inflation)? He’s got to become world class/big 6 material if we want the mega fees. Otherwise you’re not likely to get more than £30m anyway. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. The positives of selling him are massively outweighing the risky/unlikely negatives for our situation.
I mean, I said I'd sell him 😂

On the Collins thing .

Everyone is praising Dawson since he arrived , and correctly so . However , what Dawson brings more than anything else is experience - good old fashioned experience .

Can anyone tell me what Dawson was like and how he was rated when he was 22 years of age ?

At 22 he had just moved to West Brom from the looks of it, barely played for them in the first 2 seasons there as was a true development prospect. I had to check where he had come from (Rochdale) but remembered he'd been regarded as one of the better prospect outside the Prem and would feature on lists from 442 etc in that regard. Was also regularly getting in the U21s at the time.

I don't rate Collins but I do always say that 23/24 is the age of a finished development wise top level footballer, issue is he seems like he needs a loan and that is an issue when we need to generate funds and being offered near to 25million for him.

Imo Collins and kilman both need to play alongside an experienced centre half, neither dominate and take control at the back and lack the vocal side of the game. How kilman became captain material I'll never understand.

Not sure how much that comes down to Sa aswell, who can be erratic in moments, and breading nervousness across the area.

Imo Collins and kilman both need to play alongside an experienced centre half, neither dominate and take control at the back and lack the vocal side of the game. How kilman became captain material I'll never understand.

Not sure how much that comes down to Sa aswell, who can be erratic in moments, and breading nervousness across the area.
Sa also kneads to up his distribution too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back