• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's true, there isn't another me. This is probably good news for the planet.

Would it be too outlandish to hope for £70m or so out of Sa, Kilman, RAN and Guedes? Because I don't care about any of them leaving (RAN purely because Lop clearly doesn't like him, so it's pointless him being here and steadily losing value).
What a difference a year makes in the case for RAN. Came into last summer as the #1 left back, most likely at the club to kick on up a level. Jonny was unfit/injured, Bueno academy cover and Toti just a CB. Now behind all of them.

It's some fall, whatever happened between him and Lop. Hoping he can reboot his career elsewhere.

So Saudi is just like China from 10 years ago but just 10x the scale by wages.

Some of these players can earn over £10m a year playing in big leagues. Or have already been earning that (or more) for a sustained period of time. They can then get paid obscenely more than that in one year playing in Saudi.

Like for Adama, fair enough. You’re not that good and you can make a killing you aren’t getting anywhere else. But Messi, Ronaldo, even Modric and Busquets. These will already have obscene levels of money. How much money do you really need?

PIF have taken stakes in all of these clubs offering the stupid money. Give it a year and a chunk of these players will be at Newcastle on frees with official wages of next to nothing.

So Saudi is just like China from 10 years ago but just 10x the scale by wages.

Some of these players can earn over £10m a year playing in big leagues. Or have already been earning that (or more) for a sustained period of time. They can then get paid obscenely more than that in one year playing in Saudi.

Like for Adama, fair enough. You’re not that good and you can make a killing you aren’t getting anywhere else. But Messi, Ronaldo, even Modric and Busquets. These will already have obscene levels of money. How much money do you really need?
Doesn’t matter how much, just more.

It's feels a bit like when someone alters the database on Footy Man and gives every Welsh side a billion in cash.

I don’t think I’ll ever get my head round rich people who get 500k per week and they still make their decisions based on ‘but what if I got £600k per week? That would be truly life changing’
Have this discussion all the time, especially on the golf course - usually, it is “anyone who was offered a new job at several times their current salary would jump at the chance” - yes, if you’re the Average Joe, but not if your current salary is already sufficient to live very comfortably for the rest of your life, that’s just blatant greed.

Have this discussion all the time, especially on the golf course - usually, it is “anyone who was offered a new job at several times their current salary would jump at the chance” - yes, if you’re the Average Joe, but not if your current salary is already sufficient to live very comfortably for the rest of your life, that’s just blatant greed.
Yes it is!
But do you ever offer that as a point of view?

A lot depends on background, if you grew up in abject poverty then there's often seems to be a need to earn more regardless.

A lot depends on background, if you grew up in abject poverty then there's often seems to be a need to earn more regardless.
A fair few players will use the extra wealth they earn to help out in their home country.

A lot of South American and African players will spend millions to help build better things back home.

Some truth in this - a few people I know could never have enough to erase the spectre of poverty during their formative years.

A fair few players will use the extra wealth they earn to help out in their home country.

A lot of South American and African players will spend millions to help build better things back home.
Kante is a good example there.

It's relative though isn't it, people tend to live to their means so what looks obscene to us quickly becomes the norm, they become accustomed to the big houses and fancy cars. Then someone starts throwing around private island and superyacht money that suddenly opens the doors to an entirely new lifestyle all over again.

If I look back 6 years, when we got our house and started the burden of a mortgage, I was earning about 55% of what I do now. Our mortgage payments are the same, our general lifestyle is largely the same, some other household bills have gone up but nothing that's radically changed our outgoings. Would I take a job down anywhere near they salary? No chance. Would someone get my attention offering another £10k/year I don't really need? Almost certainly, I'd at least have the conversation.

It's relative though isn't it, people tend to live to their means so what looks obscene to us quickly becomes the norm, they become accustomed to the big houses and fancy cars. Then someone starts throwing around private island and superyacht money that suddenly opens the doors to an entirely new lifestyle all over again.

If I look back 6 years, when we got our house and started the burden of a mortgage, I was earning about 55% of what I do now. Our mortgage payments are the same, our general lifestyle is largely the same, some other household bills have gone up but nothing that's radically changed our outgoings. Would I take a job down anywhere near they salary? No chance. Would someone get my attention offering another £10k/year I don't really need? Almost certainly, I'd at least have the conversation.
You're not comparable with people who are earning 100s of millions a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back