• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunk cost fallacy.

For every year we have him we lose value. Selling him makes perfect sense whilst age and ability (for what it's worth) is still on his side.

And of course we can afford to sell him, keeping him makes far less sense on every level.
Again it's the crappy way FFP has been drawn up that kills us.

He is fucking shit, we all know that. We inexplicably paid £27m for him. £21.6m of amortisation to go on the PlayStation wanker.

If we sell him for £15m - which would have to be a Mendes favour - we have to book in a bigger loss on the books for 2023/24 (£6.6m) than we do if he sits here doing nothing (£5.4m).

There is a simple way to cut at least 75% of his errors from his game.....stop asking him to play out from the back, especially if the opposition are known for a high press

Rest is just stuff that can;t be stopped. Switching off when 2 down or watching his teammates lose their head and thinking "Yeah I can beat that level of panic" nothing you can do
Being rubbish at passing, I agree. Just tell him not to.

The inexplicable goals he lets in for other reasons are the bigger problem. There are loads of them as well, it's not like it's one or two a season.

Again it's the crappy way FFP has been drawn up that kills us.

He is fucking shit, we all know that. We inexplicably paid £27m for him. £21.6m of amortisation to go on the PlayStation wanker.

If we sell him for £15m - which would have to be a Mendes favour - we have to book in a bigger loss on the books for 2023/24 (£6.6m) than we do if he sits here doing nothing (£5.4m).
You are forgetting his wages. If we were to sell him this summer it would reduce the loss of £6.6m in 2023/24.

Imagine any player coming in on loan.

Club PR: "What attracted you to this great club?"

Player: "Honestly? Nothing. I wanted to stay where I was, but the manager there is a bitch-ass punk."

I can see how that would endear him to the fans.

I'd be endeared by the honesty tbh. Refreshing.

You have to take in a % of soft goals from a keeper as a given especially if you are conceding more chances.

Rui, who I loved, let in some proper soft goals in his spell with us. I think with Sa as he plays with a high risk on his other parts of his game, the soft goals fee worse and sometimes those high risk decisions he makes lead to what we think are soft goals or pens

He is still a player we could demand £15m for.

You are forgetting his wages. If we were to sell him this summer it would reduce the loss of £6.6m in 2023/24.
Thing is wages are baked in to a point, once we've decided who we're releasing then we know where we are. We don't necessarily budget for losing Player X or Y because there's no guarantee they'll actually leave.

It is perverse that we're worse off (in paper terms) if we sell a dreadful player for way more than he's actually worth than if we keep him and he plays 0 minutes. It's "only" £1.2m but if we were genuinely tight on the margins - we aren't, not to that degree - then it all counts.

It makes more sense under FFP to loan him out for £1m + 100% wages this year (-£4.4m and the money off the wage bill) then sell him for £15m in June 2024 (+£0.2m) than it does to sell him for £15m now (-£6.6m). Even though everyone just wants him and his stupid face to fuck off forever.

Thing is wages are baked in to a point, once we've decided who we're releasing then we know where we are. We don't necessarily budget for losing Player X or Y because there's no guarantee they'll actually leave.

It is perverse that we're worse off (in paper terms) if we sell a dreadful player for way more than he's actually worth than if we keep him and he plays 0 minutes. It's "only" £1.2m but if we were genuinely tight on the margins - we aren't, not to that degree - then it all counts.

It makes more sense under FFP to loan him out for £1m + 100% wages this year (-£4.4m and the money off the wage bill) then sell him for £15m in June 2024 (+£0.2m) than it does to sell him for £15m now (-£6.6m).
Yes, if his value is (at a stretch) £15m this year or next, a loan for a season is the better option. You run the risk however that if he decides he can't be arsed on his next loan then his value will continue to plummet. At least now there is the selling point that he did OK at Valencia a couple of seasons back and that the move to the UK didn't work out.

Yes, if his value is (at a stretch) £15m this year or next, a loan for a season is the better option. You run the risk however that if he decides he can't be arsed on his next loan then his value will continue to plummet. At least now there is the selling point that he did OK at Valencia a couple of seasons back and that the move to the UK didn't work out.
Exactly this. There's no way he increases in value and age is against him.

He's had one good (and it was merely good, nothing amazing) season in his entire career, he is fucking wank. Ultimately if you make expensive mistakes then the chances are you'll have to pay for them at some point.

Hubris Jeff at his best and showed Lage up as the meek patsy that he always was. Nuno kept saying no, we don't need a winger with no skill, heart, strength, pace or goals.

Basically what DW says is why I said we can’t sell him.

Plus I don’t think there is a market at a price anywhere near what we need. Benfica don’t typically spend money on bang average players with no resale value. Trincao is a better player and going for €10m (with a sell on) but at least has “talent” and age on his side.

If I sold our car then I could afford to take Mrs DW to New York on holiday, but when we get back from what I'm sure would be a lovely week, we've got no car and no money to replace it.
Unless it's a Lambo...

Feels like someone watched the Ramadan vid the club posted and just started guessing.

Adama + Muslim + Nuno = Al Ittihad transfer

He's done similar tweets about about 482 players in the last week. I do suspect there's some truth in it though, Adama wants money, and the Saudi league wants big names

His name along with was on the guardians fiver newsletter earlier of players expected to end up at Saudi clubs
N’golo Kante,
Sergio Busquets,
Pierre Emeric-Aubameryang,
Luca Modric,
Neymar,
Hugo Lloris,
Pepe,
Alexis Sanchez
Bobby Firmino,
Karim Benzina is supposedly getting £86 million a year to play there,
Messi £450 million a year! That’s fucking mental, no player is worth that amount of money.

Last edited:
Obviously I have 0 idea of the reliability.

giphy.webp

Let them all go. They can only affect the club world championship there, which is a pointless jolly.

Then use the golf breaking news that shows blatantly that Newcastles chairman is head of PIF and a Saudi government mouthpiece despite the “assurances” to bin those cunts out of English football before they sign the entire Al-Ittihad squad on frees next summer, paying them all £10k a week through the books. Which will happen if this bunch of Sportswashing scum are allowed to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back