• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The " Honey I'm home and I'm bloody starving , what's for dinner " Thread.

My problem is I'm married to a very very good cook, so anything I make is a travesty in my eyes .

Have a dig, you might surprise yourself. I wasn't a writer once. I constantly hate my own work. Others think differently don't they!

Tried a beef bourguignon on Sunday with a cut up brisket joint. Taste was fine but if i'm to do it again I'd need to get some cornflour in to thicken the sauce. The kids demolished it too. Apart from trying to cut the joint with shit knives it was piss easy.

Perfect for that. Superb in a roulade too.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/142707881928368048/?autologin=true

Have a dig, you might surprise yourself. I wasn't a writer once. I constantly hate my own work.

One of my many many failings is that I am rarely impressed with my own work, never satisfied

One of my many many failings is that I am rarely impressed with my own work, never satisfied

Endemic in most of us it isn't it (in fact you have to be a bit of sociopath IMO to big yourself up constantly).

I have so little self-esteem and yet people always tell me how great my work is. I bet if you gave it a go your missus would enjoy it. What's the worst that can happen, a shit meal that goes in the bin? So we try again tomorrow.

Tried a beef bourguignon on Sunday with a cut up brisket joint. Taste was fine but if i'm to do it again I'd need to get some cornflour in to thicken the sauce. The kids demolished it too. Apart from trying to cut the joint with shit knives it was piss easy.

Anything in a casserole pot then everyone can do - whatever the recipe says you can bung most other things in without destroying the meal, just gives it a different flavour.

Once set up it just needs to be bunged in the oven.

Honest question, not judgemental, when we praise your work, do you not believe us ?

Sort of. I used to think it was just people being nice but there are too many now to think it's that. I just always think when I get praise, "well I could have written something better than that if I wanted to". Plus it's not really "work" is it. It's me sat on my arse on my sofa writing about football. There's no graft there.

I do appreciate it :) but you have to understand what I'm like. Those who have known me for the best part of two decades will attest to what a pain in the arse I can be :D

Aye. I'd say if you cook it properly then it's better meat than breast. Probably half the cost too.

100% right. Chicken thighs taste miles better. Take the skin off and score them and drop them into a thai curry and they soak up all the flavour so much better than a chicken breast. The best bit of a chicken for me.

Always do the cornflour thing. 1 teaspoon into a small glass, half fill it with water, mix it with a small spoon or fork, and pour into the sauce. Instant thickener.

And never forget to monte au beurre if you want to be a fat fucker. Bit of butter whipped into a sauce right at the end gives it a sheen, body, and enhances the taste. Never use salted butter for that though or you arse up the seasoning.

Always do the cornflour thing. 1 teaspoon into a small glass, half fill it with water, mix it with a small spoon or fork, and pour into the sauce. Instant thickener.

And never forget to monte au beurre if you want to be a fat fucker. Bit of butter whipped into a sauce right at the end gives it a sheen, body, and enhances the taste. Never use salted butter for that though or you arse up the seasoning.

Try some dark chocolate in it as well, I haven't done it so i want someone else to be a guinea pig :)

It's really easy to get on the dissing Delia bandwagon but her how to cook series of books is a bloody great place to pick up a lot of the basics. Get those building blocks in place and then you can have flights of fancy like the Thomas Keller, Heston Bluementhal or El Bulli cookbooks. Without that, they are really just coffee table books.*

*even with the basics in place Heston and El Bulli are really inspiration stuff, amazing as they are. I don't tend to have that much liquid nitrogen hanging around and it is rare to find it in Morrisons. Saying that, Thomas Keller books are well worth checking out if you want to try cooking 3 star food that involves a lot of process and bloody hard work and especially time, but doesn't need a chemistry degree.

Oh - and if you want to get good at French cookery hunt on ebay or second hand bookshops for the Julia Child books. They are exceptional.

One thing in our house we are not stuck for is cookery books :)

IMG_1048.jpg

Steak cooked french rare - so walked through a warm room and a properly made Bearnaise is awesome. Have it with some frites and a nice salad with vinaigrette or french dressing on the side. Ace.

One of the local restaurants in Beaulieu sur Mer does a stonking pavé de boeuf (cooked saignant), served with a little salad, a scant helpng of pommes dauphinoise and a roasted tomato with a crumb topping. It's my go-to, straight after moules en persillade.

In response to Paul, if that fucker has not mooed its last moments before arriving at my table, I'm not eating it.

Kudos to Paddy yesterday for mentioning prawns and posh restaurants without bringing Lorraine Kelly into the conversation.

One thing in our house we are not stuck for is cookery books :)

View attachment 2680

We had one of those mouse cheese board cutter things when I was young, we were literally never allowed to use it or even touch it.

Sneaked it down once and tried to use it, it was terrible! Looked good though.

Back