• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The " Honey I'm home and I'm bloody starving , what's for dinner " Thread.

Is it possible to have too much garlic ? One fad I wasn't a fan of was drowning food in truffle oil, used to find that in a few restaurants, but mushrooms in garlic I could eat till I was immune to vampires for a century.

On prawns with garlic butter, it is impossible to overload dracula's least favourite.

I must admit that my bolognaise and lasagne meat sauces are somewhat garlic draped as well.

I once had some prawns in rice paper in a posh sit down chinese restaurant and they challenged even my abilities to scran on the garlic. It was a truly monumental amount in each prawn parcel. I must have stunk for a month.

I once had some prawns in rice paper in a posh sit down chinese restaurant

its about time the common Chinese Restuarants provided chairs. Bastard annoying trying to eat a Chow Mein standing up

When it ouzes out your pores in the middle of the following night you know you've done well.
I remember prawn parcels, gorgeous but they could retain an exorbitant amount of heat that could easily remove a layer of skin from inside your mouth.

As long as your wife or girlfriend or partner (delete as appropriate) shares your love of garlic then there really is no limit. I would imagine living with a garlic lover if you are less keen on the herb must be a challenging existence.

The wife is fine till the smell is oozing out your pores at 3am, then shes not impressed :)

Speaking of garlic, we're doing a recipe that has a whole chicken and 100 cloves of garlic. It's going to stink the house out but fuck it - this is the apocalypse so I'm going out with a smile on my face.

My better half loves garlic as much as I do so we're really excited about cooking it.

I know that recipe. The garlic roasts and goes quite sweet. REALLY do put in as much as they say.

I know that recipe. The garlic roasts and goes quite sweet. REALLY do put in as much as they say.

We were thinking of doubling it. Because we do that in any other recipe we cook. Honestly, who would only put 2 cloves into a dish? Fuck that, if it says 2 in the book, it needs to be at least 4.

If you do that, know that you'll forever be known as the man that started the Stourbridge Garlic Riots as all others start panic buying the stuff.

Roasted garlic and onion soup is a triumph. As much garlic as you like, half a dozen quartered onions and plenty of thyme and pepper, cover with chicken stock and in the oven for an hour or so, checking to make sure the stock keeps everything covered.

Into a blender with a dash of cream and away you go.

Love a French onion soup. The thicker the better.

Gruyère on top.

French Onion soup with a gruyere covered dish-filling crouton on top is quite simply one of the finest hours of western civilisation.

The best one I ever had was in Dinan, in this wonderful bistro in the centre of what is a pretty medieval town back when I was a pup of about 15. Close my eyes, and I can still remember how epic it tasted. It was that Breton trip and one to the Cote D'Azur the year after that really bred my adoration of French cuisine. It's the best food on earth for me, although there must be mentions in despatches for Indian, Italian and indeed Spanish food.

Can’t add anything to the food chat but I concur with Paddy that Dinan is a beautiful place, was there a few summers back.

Just to confirm, mince curry is shit.

Couldn't eat it.

Couldn't eat it.

I *think* I had one about 20 years ago when I lived in Manc and it was the cheapest option in Akbars.

Given that I'm pretty sure I never had one again...

Odd choice from Mr PPB.

Couldn't eat it.

TBF mince curry is a bad idea whatever the case, but with chinese curry sauce, peas and mash :icon_exclaim:

French Onion soup with a gruyere covered dish-filling crouton on top is quite simply one of the finest hours of western civilisation.

The best one I ever had was in Dinan, in this wonderful bistro in the centre of what is a pretty medieval town back when I was a pup of about 15. Close my eyes, and I can still remember how epic it tasted. It was that Breton trip and one to the Cote D'Azur the year after that really bred my adoration of French cuisine. It's the best food on earth for me, although there must be mentions in despatches for Indian, Italian and indeed Spanish food.

I like French food but a) it's such a faff all the time and b) as someone hurtling towards 40, keeping weight off is tougher and it's really not good for the waistline!

Italian is my go to as it's so easy and you can make it healthy with pretty much no tweaks.

Back