• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The " Honey I'm home and I'm bloody starving , what's for dinner " Thread.

Making bread is ace. I've started doing it recently - I prefer making bloomers instead of a tin loaf as they just seem a bit lighter. Don't be tempted to over-kneed it too as it may become too dense - 5 minutes is plenty.

Fresh bread is amazing - toasted fresh bread is even better!

Could you post your method for making bloomers please machin?

Mrs HW and I are keen to make some bread!

Making bread is ace. I've started doing it recently - I prefer making bloomers instead of a tin loaf as they just seem a bit lighter. Don't be tempted to over-kneed it too as it may become too dense - 5 minutes is plenty.

Fresh bread is amazing - toasted fresh bread is even better!

Think that's what I've done in the past, over-kneaded it and it's been like a brick. Will Keep it to 5 mins, see how it goes. Do you make white or wholemeal, or both?

Could you post your method for making bloomers please machin?

Mrs HW and I are keen to make some bread!

500g white flour
7g active dried yeast
teaspoon of salt (keep it separate from the yeast)
tablespoon of honey
320ml luke warm water

In a large bowl, combine the ingredients using a wooden spoon handle adding the water a bit at a time.
Once it's come together to form a ball tip it out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 mins.
Shape it into a smooth ball shape and stick it in a lightly oiled bowl covered in clingfilm in a warmish place for an hour (not too warm as you may stress the yeast).
After an hour it should have doubled in size. Knock the air out and knead very briefly to ensure there are no mor air pockets. 30 seconds is fine.
Now shape it into the loaf shape you want. For a bloomer I just shape it in to a ball again. Pop it onto a sheet of parchment onto a baking tray. Cover and leave in a warm place to rise again. About an hour.

Pre heat the over at 220 and put a roasting dish of water in the bottom to come up to the boil.

Once the oven is hot, take the cover off the dough score the top with a sharp knife and dust with flour and pop it in refilling the water tray with boiling water if needed (the steam gives it an ace crust).

Bake for 20 mins at 220 then 15-20 mins at 180. Tap the bottom - if it sounds hollow it's ready.

Think that's what I've done in the past, over-kneaded it and it's been like a brick. Will Keep it to 5 mins, see how it goes. Do you make white or wholemeal, or both?

I've done both, but the kids prefer white so I mainly stick to that.

Tried a wholemeal rye loaf, which tasted nice but was heavy and underbaked. I shall continue the research with that one.

I've done both, but the kids prefer white so I mainly stick to that.

Tried a wholemeal rye loaf, which tasted nice but was heavy and underbaked. I shall continue the research with that one.

Did white today, turned out better than my last effort! Tasty, light, and the smell whilst cooking got all of us waiting for it to come out the oven to see who got the warm crust with a good layer of butter!

Will definitely be making some more. So tonight it's cheese toasties with my bread :)

Last edited:
500g white flour
7g active dried yeast
tablespoon of honey
320ml luke warm water

In a large bowl, combine the ingredients using a wooden spoon handle adding the water a bit at a time.
Once it's come together to form a ball tip it out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 mins.
Shape it into a smooth ball shape and stick it in a lightly oiled bowl covered in clingfilm in a warmish place for an hour (not too warm as you may stress the yeast).
After an hour it should have doubled in size. Knock the air out and knead very briefly to ensure there are no mor air pockets. 30 seconds is fine.
Now shape it into the loaf shape you want. For a bloomer I just shape it in to a ball again. Pop it onto a sheet of parchment onto a baking tray. Cover and leave in a warm place to rise again. About an hour.

Pre heat the over at 220 and put a roasting dish of water in the bottom to come up to the boil.

Once the oven is hot, take the cover off the dough score the top with a sharp knife and dust with flour and pop it in refilling the water tray with boiling water if needed (the steam gives it an ace crust).

Bake for 20 mins at 220 then 15-20 mins at 180. Tap the bottom - if it sounds hollow it's ready.

Thanks a lot. Ill let you know how it goes!

Made a tin loaf last night. Was lush.

Sausage, egg, chips and beans. My favourite.

Leg of lamb, creamy mash, roasties,cabbage, carrots, minted gravy. Moms favourite.

Beef casserole with carrot & onions (plus other veg that was starting to go off just because) with a jacket potato

Cooked a very nice roast chicken for the good lady today. Smothered it in butter sage and tarragon before it went in the oven. Enormous help* from the kids in doing the mother's day feast

*fuck all

Yesterday's lamb was bloody lovely. Turning the rest into a curry for tonight.

I had roast lamb yesterday too. I took all the leftovers to work this morning as well.

Cod, chips and mushy peas.Got some bread so might push the boat out and make a chip butty with a round.

Something I'm never quite sure about, is it butty, or buttie??

500g white flour
7g active dried yeast
tablespoon of honey
320ml luke warm water

Kudos for this btw, just done my first loaf and although I must have over kneaded it as it was a bit doughy, it was really nice and the crust was ace.

Done a few soda loafs in the past as the irish chap at work told me and they're pretty simple but always thought bread was too difficult.

Breaded cod, veg and my own parsley sauce (which is also a massive faff to clean up).

Back