• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The " Honey I'm home and I'm bloody starving , what's for dinner " Thread.

I'll never forgive Greggs for putting Firkins out of business. Wolverhampton City Centre is inundated with the bastards.

I'll never forgive Greggs for putting Firkins out of business. Wolverhampton City Centre is inundated with the bastards.

Newcastle is incredible for them. Literally every corner you turn in the city centre, there's another one.

There was a Firkins in Fordhouses when I lived there. Gutted when that closed :( By way of protest, I have never used the Greggs in Codsall :D (plus there is a way nicer independent coffee shop literally next door)

I was expecting a similar ballooning of my waistline this summer, moving closer to work and leaving my football playing associates behind, but so far I've stayed on a pretty even keel. Having an extra 2 hours that's not spent commuting has meant I usually take something to work for lunch and cook something decent when we get home rather than eating junk food more days than not, my diet isn't healthy now by any means but the change seems to have done enough to cancel out the lack of football so far.

Hopefully the withdrawl won't be permanent and once we've finished decorating the front room I can have a bit of a DIY break to try and find some local sport to engage in.

Come and join us here:

http://www.crossfit17.co.uk/

Plenty of people from your way and further train with us.

I don't like it, but that's just mental scarring from living near Rusholme where there are countless cheap and almost certainly poisonous knock offs of KFC (Kansas Fried Chicken, Krunchy Fried Chicken and - my personal favourite - Hentucky Fried Chicken), and a diminishing pigeon population.

I think I can top these - Kent's Tuck In Fried Chicken (Sedgley)

Newcastle is incredible for them. Literally every corner you turn in the city centre, there's another one.

There was a Firkins in Fordhouses when I lived there. Gutted when that closed :( By way of protest, I have never used the Greggs in Codsall :D (plus there is a way nicer independent coffee shop literally next door)

I used to go to the one in The Scotlands with my nan when I was little. When it closed it became a Greggs too, and then that closed and became a Subway (ha!)

Tonight its,baked sweet potato, Bourbon Baby Back ribs ( extra sauce for dipping) green beans, homemade slaw, and grilled ears of corn with melted butter for those that want.

Looks a bit pricey!

Not sure I'll ever find an alternative exercise to replace football to be honest, everything else just seems like a chore in comparison and I just don't get any real enjoyment from exercising for the sake of it.

Cycling!

I've considered getting a mountain bike, got no time for faffing around amongst traffic and there are plenty of public rights of way to reasonably pretty places around my way, but I think I'd still struggle to motivate myself to make the effort to go and do it alone, plus it's a pretty expensive pass time to try out if you're not going to stick with it.

Thursday night session at 7:30 is well attended and is free for the first week, £5 after if you ever feel like giving it a go one week.

It is more expensive than normal gyms, but then again the workouts are more interesting as they are in groups rather than on your own.

Better choice today: mexican chicken baguette, ready salted crisps and fruit.

Sam - why not make your own lunch to your own standards and take that in? I can highly recommend it. It doesn't always have to be sandwiches (though even with this you can change the bread type etc for variety) but making wraps, salad boxes etc is great. & makes a phenomenal difference on the wallet.

If you spend £4 per workday on a meal (sometimes you know you spend more), then over 48 weeks of a year that's £960. & that's a really low estimate - some coffees are £4 FFS!

It's great cooking a vat of something that can be frozen/stuck in the fridge and taking it into work. And subsequently impressing your colleagues with your culinary skillz.

Doing a chicken sharwarma on Sunday for me and the kids but I'm hoping they don't want seconds so I can take it into work on Monday.

I know what you mean mate. I should really as I spend a fortune on food - £4 a day like you said, more in most cases.

I think it's just not being very creative with food that holds me back. If I could find some relatively easy to prepare recipes I'd be all for it. I'm a big fan of stir frys, pasta salads and all that kinda thing.

I know what you mean mate. I should really as I spend a fortune on food - £4 a day like you said, more in most cases.

I think it's just not being very creative with food that holds me back. If I could find some relatively easy to prepare recipes I'd be all for it. I'm a big fan of stir frys, pasta salads and all that kinda thing.

I know some people (AKA food snobs.. ;)) laugh and balk at slow cookers, but they're a great way to cook a lot of stuff that can last a good long while. Making a chilli or a bolognaise in them is incredibly easy. Literally get ingredients, shove in slow cooker, turn slow cooker on, leave to cook on low all day, get home, eat, store away leftovers.

I know some people (AKA food snobs.. ;)) laugh and balk at slow cookers, but they're a great way to cook a lot of stuff that can last a good long while. Making a chilli or a bolognaise in them is incredibly easy. Literally get ingredients, shove in slow cooker, turn slow cooker on, leave to cook on low all day, get home, eat, store away leftovers.

Exactly. Make enough and you can freeze loads too. Do the prep at night with the washing up and you're laughing.

If I'm stuck then Morrisons meal deal at £3 is my go to. Hot and cold food with a drink and something sweet is OK and if you like sushi that's included too.

Yeah, I much prefer to do everything either the night before or in the morning as looking after 2 kids after a full day in the office is knackering. If I do all the prep once they've gone to bed, at least I've been able to relax for an hour or so!

Exactly. Make enough and you can freeze loads too. Do the prep at night with the washing up and you're laughing.

If I'm stuck then Morrisons meal deal at £3 is my go to. Hot and cold food with a drink and something sweet is OK and if you like sushi that's included too.
Or as you are doing the prep then cook as well. All done ready for the next day.

Back