• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The " Honey I'm home and I'm bloody starving , what's for dinner " Thread.

I drain as much of the sauce off too. Same with tinned tomatoes.

A lot of people say Branston beans are better because of the thicker sauce but I've always preferred the taste of Heinz beans.

I actually saw a program about how they make Heinz beans the other week with Greg Wallace. Did you know they don't actually cook the beans until they are in the tin with the sauce and fully sealed up? Then the tins go into like a pasteurising machine at a high temperature for a few hours.

I drain as much of the sauce off too. Same with tinned tomatoes.

A lot of people say Branston beans are better because of the thicker sauce but I've always preferred the taste of Heinz beans.

Dont drain me tinned tomatoes, I just slowly boil the juice away until the tomatoes end up like a paste. Then spread that on me bread. Heinz Beans are disgusting, half the tin is runny shit sauce, and the actual beans have a funny taste.

I actually saw a program about how they make Heinz beans the other week with Greg Wallace. Did you know they don't actually cook the beans until they are in the tin with the sauce and fully sealed up? Then the tins go into like a pasteurising machine at a high temperature for a few hours.

No wonder they taste shit then.

Rosemary crusted lamb chops, oven roasted assorted root veggies, mashed tata.

Apple Crumble & Custard.

HP beans are infinitely better than Heinz. No additional sauce required. The dunking of any biscuit is a 'no' for me.

Cough.

As my wife usually works evenings on the weekend now I am going to start cooking for me and the kids. I am useless at cooking so it's about time I learned and the kids will enjoy getting involved.

Any suggestions for kid friendly (and novice chef friendly) recipes? We have a slow cooker which will probably help.

As my wife usually works evenings on the weekend now I am going to start cooking for me and the kids. I am useless at cooking so it's about time I learned and the kids will enjoy getting involved.

Any suggestions for kid friendly (and novice chef friendly) recipes? We have a slow cooker which will probably help.

Basically anything that was on that Buzzfeed article...

Cooking is a skill that literally anyone can learn to a certain degree.

The best advice would probably be to know your limitations at first, don't try anything too crazy, the value is going to be in the ingredients you use and the prep you put in (get everything ready in advance and the actual cooking bit tends to be dead easy).

Any decent butcher will have a deal on chicken fillets, something like them grilled with a simple enough sauce (tomato based probably) and some stir fried veg would be a pretty easy start, healthy and hard to fuck up.

Learn spag bol.

A few minor adjustments to that basic recipe and you will be over at chilli con carne without too much effort as well.

Both can be fairly simple to do and good kid-pleasers as long as you don't make the chilli too hot.

Never EVER by a dolmio mix though or I shall have to have you arrested for crimes against cuisine.

Another thing - English Provender Company Very Lazy Garlic is your new best friend. Will save you loads of time compared to peeling chopping and generally preparing fresh garlic. When you are just bunging it into a dish like a spag bol then it is perfectly fine to use the EPC stuff and a jar lasts a good long while even in a house of garlic fiends like I have here.

Quick and easy recipe for you to try

12 chicken thighs
600g big white potatoes

Peel the potatoes and slice them into discs about 5 mm thick. Give them a quick fry for a bit of colour and then bung them on the bottom of a deep ceramic baking tray. Season the chicken thighs and fry them to get some colour too, and then place the chicken thighs on top of the potatoes. Chuck over some finely sliced onions and a good bit of lazy garlic. Add some little tomatoes in sprigs on the vine, and chop up red green and yellow peppers and throw them in for a bit of colour. Add a tiny bit of chilli powder or chilli flakes (again EPC do pots of this that I really recommend) for heat if you want, the juice and zest of one lemon and 250 ml of chicken stock (use a knorr cube and boiling water whisked up rather than make you own - you are feeding a family not auditioning for masterchef). Finally chuck in some parsley and a few sprigs of fresh rosemary.

Cover with foil and bake for 90 minutes at 180 degrees centigrade. Remove the foil for the last ten minutes. Serve at the table in the baking tray and everyone can help themselves. One pot. Minimal washing up. Easy to prepare, and you will look like a domestic GOD.

I've been meaning to ask. Is cornflour the same as cornstarch? I had a slow cooker beef recipe that requires you to coat the sliced beef pieces in cornstarch. I have cornflour in the cupboard, will that work just as well?

Yeah, it's cornflour (as we know it). You've got an American recipe there presumably.

Shepherd's Pie/Cottage Pie. Can't really get much simpler than these TDan. Easy and quick, and you really can't go wrong.

Back