• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

This close to giving up on Game of Thrones after last nights episode. There are a few storylines keeping me interested but the writing for this season has been utterly appalling IMO. The TV series doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the books, the further D&D have strayed away from GRRM, the more they've exposed themselves as second rate producers.

Watched the first episode of Wayward Pines last night - very bizarre, but could be good.

Just started watching the 'Departures' documentary series on Netflix. It's two Canadian friends (well, 3 if you include the guy filming) who go travelling around the world for a year. From the first episode I thought they might turn out to be a pair of douchebags but it got much better from episode 2 onwards and I'm really enjoying it.

Finished the first season of this last night and it turned out to be a really enjoyable series. I'd definitely recommend it.

Onto the final episode of Sons of Anarchy tonight after work. It's a good watch if you can bare the massive amount of cringeworthy shit in it (and Charlie Hunnam's fucking awful acting) and the good parts definitely outweigh the bad.

Watched the first episode of Wayward Pines last night - very bizarre, but could be good.

"Toast Incident" aside, I quite enjoyed Devil, which IIRC was Shamylaskdhjfkdsl;aj's last work before Wayward (oh, I guess there was After Earth but you can't convince me that wasn't just a vanity project for Will and Jaden Smith). Here's hoping he figures things out again.

GOT - This season is a car crash. Just awful.

can't see how he's gonna finish the books now tbh. after watching the TV series it's hard to recall the inconsistencies of who's alive, dead, in completely the wrong place or simply non existent! though I felt even the last book was losing its direction.

The general rule of thumb is that most shows have four good seasons before going south. Shame that GoT is no exception. Even last seasons had moments that made me a little apprehensive.

The general rule of thumb is that most shows have four good seasons before going south. Shame that GoT is no exception. Even last seasons had moments that made me a little apprehensive.

The signs were there last season, aye. At the moment the only storyline really interesting me is Arya, I think they've done that beautifully. Apart from that, every time they've tried to go in their own direction they've come up short. That scene with Sam, Gilly & Ghost tonight was just insanely stupid.

Ah well. After it was clear that Renly was not to be king I had little interest in the ending. :p

Partly, but I found Renly to be supremely entertaining and I enjoyed the aesthetic of his side of thw Baratheons more than Stannis'.

This incessant whinging about GoT having to take an alternative direction is getting tiresome now. Yes, there are inaccuracies compared to the books but given that Martin writes so slowly they've had to make these changes, some of which I think are for the better - Jaime Lannister's relocation for one. I'd also imagine that there have been consultations as to what could be done. The problem is that the last two books take place at the same time and they're a bit of a plod to say the least, both factors which aren't going to work in TV, and there are also some completely stupid turns of events, in my opinion worse than the adaptations they have made in this series.

This incessant whinging about GoT having to take an alternative direction is getting tiresome now. Yes, there are inaccuracies compared to the books but given that Martin writes so slowly they've had to make these changes, some of which I think are for the better - Jaime Lannister's relocation for one. I'd also imagine that there have been consultations as to what could be done. The problem is that the last two books take place at the same time and they're a bit of a plod to say the least, both factors which aren't going to work in TV, and there are also some completely stupid turns of events, in my opinion worse than the adaptations they have made in this series.

I haven't watched the last 2 episodes but in terms of seasons 1-4 and the first 4 episodes of season 5, I think this is spot on. I've agreed with far more of the changes than I've disagreed with - it's an absolute bastard of a series to adapt to a TV show and frankly I think they've done an unbelievable job with it. My opinion hasn't changed - I think it's a better TV series than it is a book.

Although I don't particularly like ALL the changes they've made, just because it's different doesn't automatically make it weaker IMO.

once anything achieves a degree of "fandom" it will always be analysed to death for accuracy by that group. given the extent of the fandom probably helped to justify the tv series being made in the first place, i think you have to give leeway to that group to criticise and accept it's just going to happen.

tv series often lack the depth of the book on which it is based for obvious reasons. just makes them different.

Never Mind the Buzzcocks is being canned by the BBC, not entirely surprising.

Back