• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

I watched Band of Brothers in its entirety over the weekend. It's still by far the best WW2 drama I've ever seen. In fact, even though it's approaching 15 years old, it seems to improve with every watch. Sheer quality.

In fact, even though it's approaching 15 years old, it seems to improve with every watch. Sheer quality.

Impossible not to read that in Partridge's voice when he's talking about Bravo Two Zero.

I watched Band of Brothers in its entirety over the weekend. It's still by far the best WW2 drama I've ever seen. In fact, even though it's approaching 15 years old, it seems to improve with every watch. Sheer quality.

Probably my favourite box set of all time. The Bastogne episode in particular is compelling viewing. It's also hard not to be moved by the discovery of the concentration camp towards the end of the series.

Probably my favourite box set of all time. The Bastogne episode in particular is compelling viewing. It's also hard not to be moved by the discovery of the concentration camp towards the end of the series.

Every episode is amazing. It's incredibly consistent from beginning to end.

Impossible not to read that in Partridge's voice when he's talking about Bravo Two Zero.

:icon_lol:

Randy McKnob?

Starting to get really pissed off with GOT. Some of the changes from the books are just so ridiculous, they're carving out huge chunks of the story.

It's because they're at the point of overtaking the books, given that George R. R. Martin writes about a page a day and the next installment isn't due for another year so they're going to have to compress and omit parts of the story.

Mind you, I for one am glad that it seems that they're cutting the whole Beric-Dondarrion-resurrects-Catelyn-Stark-and-what's-she-going-to-do-with-Jamie? jumping the shark element.

The problem I have with it is the way they're jamming 2 huge books into one season just so they an fit the story into an arbitrary number of seasons.

I don't think they are. The show is plodding along at a fairly slow pace so far this season. We're almost half way through and nothing of any real gravity has happened yet.

The ending to last weeks episode was fun though

I don't think they are. The show is plodding along at a fairly slow pace so far this season. We're almost half way through and nothing of any real gravity has happened yet.

I've found it incredibly rushed. I really don't like the way it's going atm, the original plot lines have always been the weakest parts of the show IMO.

That's my view too - I'm expecting all hell to break loose soon as nothing's really happened yet. Kind of feels like the usual episode 10's, setting up the next series...

Watched the second No Offence last night. It's plodding along very nicely. Good enough story and characters pull it all together in an entertaining, amusing and interesting way. No dragons though, so, you know, might not be for everyone.

My folks have been recording GoT Season 5 for me and I have now caught up so thought I'd add my comments on the changes between books/TV show - spoilered obvs:

TV show spoilers first:

Firstly, I don't think it's been a bad start to the series at all - it's still ace telly, the effects seem to improve (how ace are the dragons now?!) and the acting still a high standard. I would agree that there's still yet to be a massive 'moment' in the series although there is plenty of time for that, and numerous things that are still to happen.

BUT:

Unlike previous series, I've started to think there have been a few occasions where the book plotline is actually better. More often than not, the series has got it spot on and the changes have been for the better. I guess they're just very wary of introducing new characters when it's hard enough for some people to work out who is where and who is who!

A bit gutted about Selmy too. One positive is that it's shocked fans of the book as well as those who haven't read them!

Book spoilers below for comparisons so don't click if you haven't read them or don't want to know what might happen:

The main thing I've disagreed with is where are Griff/Young Griff? Surely they are such a massive part of the plot? Are they just going to arrive later on? I like the expanded story line for Mormont and Tyrion but personally, I'd have liked to have seen the Griffs appear at the start of this season. Maybe they're keeping them back a bit?

Not sure I like the Sansa/'Arya' (who is really Jeyne Poole) change with the Ramsay Bolton storyline. Again, I suppose it makes Sansa's story a bit better but with what Sansa went through with Joffrey, it's almost like the poor girl needs a break!

I do think the Jaime/Bronn going to Dorne addition is a good change - the Riverrun seige is a bit dull IMO and wouldn't have made particularly interesting telly. I'm predicting the demise of Bronn in this series purely on the basis that he's not really in the books from this point and it'd make an exciting plot twist - I think it'll merge into the Arys Oakheart part of book 4, with Bronn basically doing what Oakheart did in the books.

And contrary to others on here, I was hoping to see Lady Stoneheart show up by now. Possible appearance at the end of this season to bring Brienne/Podrick up to date with the books?

I saw my first ever clip of Game of Thrones on Gogglebox last week. It was basically some woman with her tits out getting felt up. I am beginning to see why you are all so keen to watch it you dirty pervs.

I saw my first ever clip of Game of Thrones on Gogglebox last week. It was basically some woman with her tits out getting felt up. I am beginning to see why you are all so keen to watch it you dirty pervs.

I do love Gogglebox. The Newcastle family with the Tango orange girl all sitting around feeling awkward at that GoT scene until Dad says "quite pert, aren't they?"

Back