• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

Watched episode one in glorious 1080p. Screw your SD shite. Why would anyone choose to watch the greatest TV show around in SD? Utter madness. I could understand if it was the entire season so you didn't have to wait 5 weeks for the next one.

I'm just happy to have NowTV so we can watch it on time on the spare telly. The lack of an option to upgrade to take Sky Atlantic in a standard Virgin TV package is very frustrating.

Watched episode one in glorious 1080p. Screw your SD shite. Why would anyone choose to watch the greatest TV show around in SD? Utter madness. I could understand if it was the entire season so you didn't have to wait 5 weeks for the next one.

I couldn't help it. I'm not a strong man. :(

I honestly just don't get it.

Oh and I agree with Paddy. Anyone spoiling episodes for the rest of us and I'm wielding the banhammer. Screw the rules!

We have said it nicely, but that is the underlying threat everyone*. PLEASE, nobody ruin it for those who have to play catch-up.

*Not really, but like Mr Flibbles, your moderators will be VERY CROSS

Do you get it in HD on NowTV Pad?

Not sure. The spare telly is HD so we shall try, but not sure there is a choice to do that.

NowTV is not in full HD, dvd quality at best.The streaming ain't great either from my experience and I have had no problems watching with Netflix in 1080.

Game of Thrones starts again tonight - but I can't watch it as I don't have Sky Atlantic any more! Nooooooooo!

Anyway, it's been said that there will be some characters killed off in this series that aren't killed off in the books. I have two in mind whom I think will be sacrificed:

(Just so you're aware, spoilers sort of affect both TV show and books)

1. Gendry - his character was useful for the Melisandre/Stannis plotline, integrated with Edric Storm who is in the books but not the TV series. I can't see what further use he'll be - he's only got a very minor role in book 4 and doesn't appear at all in book 5.

2. Bronn - hardly features at all in the books anyway, they've made him into an awesome character in the series. I can see them annoying the viewers by killing him - if he doesn't go with Tyrion, he won't be of any use IMO.

No evidence to prove either of those - just my guesses.

I can definitely see #2 there taking the rap for the events at the end of last season. Or was he already on his way out of King's Landing before the Trial by Combat?

Can we take the dungeons and dragons shit to a different thread, please?

Why shouldn't we talk about a TV show on the TV thread?

NowTV is not in full HD, dvd quality at best.The streaming ain't great either from my experience and I have had no problems watching with Netflix in 1080.
Apparently it's 720p which is the same as Sky.

Sky is 1080i, which should be better than 720p, if your TV is half decent.

Why shouldn't we talk about a TV show on the TV thread?

Create a separate thread to save clogging this one up. We've done it Dr. Who and also a few splinter games threads - GTA V, SkyRim, Fifa...

Amazing that we still wallow in such inferior resolutions.

Almost makes me laugh at the 4k early adopters.

Sky can show 1080 but I think you'll find probably all shows are encoded for broadcast in 720 to save on bit rate.

Sky can show 1080 but I think you'll find probably all shows are encoded for broadcast in 720 to save on bit rate.

Possibly for on demand, but 1080i is definitely used for live TV / broadcast tv channels. I watch sky with a non sky box and it reports on resolution and video format.

Most dodgy downloads are 1080i re-encoded to 720p, if that's what you mean?

Back