• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abramovich's assets frozen by UK government putting sale on hold...

And Chelsea unable to sell tickets so only STHs will be able to attend games

Seems a bit harsh on Chelsea the club and their fans. I get that stopping Abramovic selling the club and him profiting is a good thing, and stopping him from accessing any of Chelsea's money too.

But how is banning ticket sales, merchandise and player transfers helping anything?

Seems a bit harsh on Chelsea the club and their fans. I get that stopping Abramovic selling the club and him profiting is a good thing, and stopping him from accessing any of Chelsea's money too.

But how is banning ticket sales, merchandise and player transfers helping anything?
He owns the club so all sales increase its profitability. The sanctions apply to every business owned by the person being sanctioned. The fact one of his businesses is a football club makes no difference, they all have to be treated the same.

He owns the club so all sales increase its profitability. The sanctions apply to every business owned by the person being sanctioned. The fact one of his businesses is a football club makes no difference, they all have to be treated the same.
Yep. He can't receive money into a UK-based operation or send money out from one. Obviously he wasn't creaming off ticket money to buy a new yacht or anything but that's irrelevant.

You can't say "you're sanctioned except for this bit because people like that element of your business".

Fair play, seems like we have got some teeth after all.

I have zero sympathy for Chelsea fans, I've hated them ever since they got the money. Bitter person that I am lol

Could Chelsea go bust here? Presumably they still have to pay wages etc?

Completely unprecedented circumstances so who knows.

They will have some cash reserves but a football club with no income and no outside funding will burn through them very quickly.

£28m a month wage bill.

Would the Premier League allow the release of TV monies to cover running costs?

Three have requested that their sponsorship deal is suspended.

£28m a month wage bill.

Would the Premier League allow the release of TV monies to cover running costs?
They did with Pompey (although you're supposed to get at least 14 of the other 19 clubs to agree. They didn't, but the PL did it anyway, as well as early parachute money being as it was obvious they were going down).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back