• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2019/20 - everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Irish TV in its wisdom is showing full rerun of Ireland v England from 1990 world cup, fuck me it's worse then I remember, all one touch and not in a good way.

A game to make you go out rather than obey a lockdown

I still watch my goals tape of 1990 (well it's a rip from YouTube now, I don't actually own a VHS player) and the England vs Germany game that was on BBC in full a couple of weeks ago was a good watch. Otherwise though it's a tournament where you don't want to watch too much extended stuff. Some top goals, iconic players but some seriously poor football along the way and it ruins the nostalgia factor.

Brazil vs Argentina is one of the few that's worth a proper look. The dictionary definition of a smash and grab and the one time in the tournament that Maradona did what he was capable of.

England were even worse vs Cameroon than I remembered. Could have been done four or five quite easily.

Problem back in 1990 was the fact that 4 3rd placed teams could reach the knockout phase plus only having 2 points for a win. Pretty much meant 3 draws would see you through.
Argentina were dreadful and still can’t workout how they reached the final, their QF with Yugoslavia was a particularly grim watch on Saturday afternoon I remember.

Cracking Yugoslavia team that as well.

Pancev (though he flopped later in Italy), Stojkovic, Boksic, Prosinecki, Jarni, Savicevic and Suker all in the squad. Can only imagine Boban was injured because he was magic too.

Prosinecki was still unreal for Portsmouth when he was about 33, ran like a 63 year old and was on about 93 cigs a day.

Yeah Prosinecki was ridiculous for Pompey, we beat them 3-2 down here during the choke season but we couldn’t get near him. He left Rae on his arse several times when trying to kick him and scored a screamer.

Just watched the 1970 World Cup final highlights on the beeb, Brazil were just so good to watch. 1970 was the first finals I remember, just got no memories of 66 at all, mind you I was only 7 and neither my dad or older brother liked football. I was so excited for the tournament and full of hope for England. We had a good team but it just didn't happen, but even though I was terribly disappointed, I loved watching that Brazil team, chock full of absolute class players, Jairzinho was my favourite at the time, dunno why, probably his all action style

Four absolutely class games there. How France didn't win that 1982 semi final still mystifies me nearly forty years later!

Coventry v Spurs 1987 FA Cup final on ITV at five for those needing more football fix.

I'm still raging at that Scholes miss vs Argentina in 98. Sit the keeper down, smash it roof of the net, go the side you actually went for but hit the massive gap between Roa and the post...nope, put it wide.

That was the game right there. Not that I think we'd have got past the Netherlands in the quarters, this is Hoddle's fault for dicking around and having us end up on the wrong side of the draw.

Also his subs had no eye at all on possible pens.

Southgate on for Le Saux
Merson on for Scholes
Batty on for Anderton

So Sheringham sits unused on the bench and we can't use him in the shootout.

Also Rob Lee and Les Ferdinand are sat in the squad doing not much at all, while Matt Le Tissier is sat at home.

Le Tissier was toast once his brother had leaked the squad to the press the year before

Le Tissier was toast once his brother had leaked the squad to the press the year before

Begs the question why you bother picking him for England B, making that an effective trial game, he scores a hat trick but you have no intention of picking him. Mind you why am I trying to find logic in Glenn Hoddle's thinking.

I very much liked Les Ferdinand (maybe he wouldn't have gone if Ian Wright hadn't got injured before the tournament) but he scored 5 league goals that season. Dion Dublin got 18, Chris Sutton (also ostracised) got 18, Le Tissier got 11.

There were practically no circumstances ever in which Rob Lee would have played considering the formation we were using and all the other options in the squad. We also took Rio Ferdinand - now we know what a player he went on to be but he was 19 and was trying to get one of three CH spots ahead of Adams, Campbell, Neville, Southgate and Keown. Never going to happen, another total waste of a pick.

Worth remembering that Keegan didn't even take Rio to Euro 2000 :icon_lol: He only went on to be the world's most expensive defender inside six months. Good call Keggy.

Also imagine saying immediately after we lost to Portugal in Gelsenkirchen in 2006 that David Beckham, Rio Ferdinand and Michael Owen would never play at an international tournament again.

Five subs a game flagged through by IFAB

There's a good Bradford Fire piece on The Athletic from the perspective of 4 of the people involved. This I appreciate uncoberrated quote from a policeman about Thatcher and Denis'visit 8 days later is shockingly callous.

“There was a no-smoking policy in the building. He was smoking a cigar and somebody had the balls to say, ‘Sorry, sir, this is a no-smoking zone’. He reportedly said, ‘Oh yes, we wouldn’t want to start another fire’.”

You can’t stop it.

Then at the same time, I’m not sure how people are still contracting the virus anyway.

"Dynamo’s sporting director, Ralf Minge"

:D LOL.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...blow-dynamo-dresden-team-quarantined-covid-19

Hannover vs Dynamo Dresden called off. I don't see how you stop this?

First off, test everyone involved 14 days before anything is scheduled, not the week before. Then have all those involved effectively self-isolating (apart from with each other) for the rest of the season. The players get paid enough to suffer a bit of inconvenience. As Punts says, I don't see how anyone [who isn't stupid, and with the obvious exceptions] is still catching it anyway. Perhaps the 'stupid' part is the problem (see Walker, K.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back