• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2019/20 - everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really wouldn’t want to be the one who calls this if they have to in English football.
I think the PL & EFL will wait until it’s impossible to play out the season before making the decision.
At least then they can say they gave it every chance to complete it.
Someone is going to get screwed over, if it’s done on PPG then Villa & Bournemouth will be filing some pretty big law suits against the PL.

Yeah there’s talk of legal challenges, Utrecht are 3 points (miles better GD) behind Willem II for the final European place but with a game in hand, also in the final of the cup against Feyenoord so pretty screwed over if they don’t get a EL spot. Cambuur top of the second tier by 11 points, no promotion. RKC 11 points from safety at the bottom of the Eredivisie. No relegation.

The bit I struggle with is the need to have this season tied up ASAP.

Next season is already going to be disrupted, well, we don’t actually know what might happen next season as this isn’t just going to disappear in September. Get this season done whenever that might be and worry about next season after that.

The only thing I’ve heard to make it necessary to finish the season is player contracts. Surely just have them on rolling contracts until it’s finished? It’s not like they have anywhere else they can play anyway??

Next season is already going to be disrupted, well, we don’t actually know what might happen next season as this isn’t just going to disappear in September. Get this season done whenever that might be and worry about next season after that.

The only thing I’ve heard to make it necessary to finish the season is player contracts. Surely just have them on rolling contracts until it’s finished? It’s not like they have anywhere else they can play anyway??

I think the big concern for uefa will be euro 2021. They won't want to have next season finishing much later than normal otherwise it will jeopardise the Euros.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the Euros.

UEFA and the PL have different priorities the former is to protect next season the latter, this. Both are guided by their financial needs one can't afford to not have the Euros the other knows that this season not ending will cost them millions in tv rights and end up in the courts with clubs

The problem with UEFA and the cunning plan is actually us. If the season was ended domestically and the league table stood we would probably be in the qualifying rounds of UEFA for next season, starting in July as we know. UEFA want this timetable adhered to as much as possible.

Yet Europa 2020 isn’t going to finish until August. We would be playing in the third qualifying round for 2021 in the same week as the final of 2020 should we get there. And then should we win the final we would have played qualifying rounds for a competition that we shouldn’t be in and Sheffield United would have been denied that opportunity.

The problem with UEFA and the cunning plan is actually us. If the season was ended domestically and the league table stood we would probably be in the qualifying rounds of UEFA for next season, starting in July as we know. UEFA want this timetable adhered to as much as possible.

Yet Europa 2020 isn’t going to finish until August. We would be playing in the third qualifying round for 2021 in the same week as the final of 2020 should we get there. And then should we win the final we would have played qualifying rounds for a competition that we shouldn’t be in and Sheffield United would have been denied that opportunity.

Europa 2020 is now in 2021 though isn’t it?

I’d just PPG this season and start afresh as soon as possible.

The problem regarding player contracts is that they can't enforce the extension. Say for instance Olivier Giroud is due to sign for Milan with a 10m signing on fee, he's not gong to jeopardise that to play a few more games for Chelsea.

Ah, that makes more sense. Isn’t the tentative plan to rush all the games through in a mini tournament?

I think so but Paddy's point regarding qualifying rounds for next seasons competitions stands.

The problem regarding player contracts is that they can't enforce the extension. Say for instance Olivier Giroud is due to sign for Milan with a 10m signing on fee, he's not gong to jeopardise that to play a few more games for Chelsea.

Pre agreements can only have been signed (legitimately) with foreign clubs. I’m sure the examples of this are few and far between. Anyway that’s easily remedied by having one of the governing bodies making a rule to say the contracts are extended automatically. Im pretty confident Milan arent going to be wanting to pay Girouds wages and sign on fee if they aren’t planning on starting the season for months. So the current club keep the player for the required amount of time, the buying club don’t pay unnecessarily and the player still gets paid. All existing contracts and agreements are still in place just pushed back.

If he won’t play for Chelsea in July because he doesn’t want to jeopardise a move, he wouldn’t play for them in March, April, May...

Gormless bastard.

839d1b5d8acfaf58c6ea10626765db8e.jpg

Pre agreements can only have been signed (legitimately) with foreign clubs. I’m sure the examples of this are few and far between. Anyway that’s easily remedied by having one of the governing bodies making a rule to say the contracts are extended automatically. Im pretty confident Milan arent going to be wanting to pay Girouds wages and sign on fee if they aren’t planning on starting the season for months. So the current club keep the player for the required amount of time, the buying club don’t pay unnecessarily and the player still gets paid. All existing contracts and agreements are still in place just pushed back.

If he won’t play for Chelsea in July because he doesn’t want to jeopardise a move, he wouldn’t play for them in March, April, May...
What about players at the end of their contracts who the club is planning on releasing? Do they have to keep paying them as well? Some clubs could end up with a lot of extra outgoings they hadn't budgeted for that way.

What about players at the end of their contracts who the club is planning on releasing? Do they have to keep paying them as well? Some clubs could end up with a lot of extra outgoings they hadn't budgeted for that way.

We’re talking what? An extra 2 months? Pretty sure having to keep players on for 2 months is small fry compared to the economic damage they’ve had and are continuing to have for the foreseeable. They’re also not signing anyone so there will be some offset there unless clubs are trying to strip the wage bill, which as I said would be a small burden compared to everything else, unless they were in dire straits pre covid but then they were probably going to the wall anyway.

FIFA confirms it has proposed up to five substitutes during a match in all competitions. Needs approval of lawmakers IFAB.

FIFA confirms it has proposed up to five substitutes during a match in all competitions. Needs approval of lawmakers IFAB.

This will become a long term law i'm sure. Makes the likelihood of an outfield player going in goal all the more unlikely, which i find a crying shame.

Which makes me think, when has this happened to us? Dean Richards against Stoke in the 90s (he was shit), Shackell away at Preston in the Iwelumo Hat trick and sending off game and Doherty at Norwich, anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back