• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2018/19 - everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mount is on loan.
Yes, but he's Vydra's replacement in the team. The money has been spent on Marriott and the winger from Brentford. They need a decent transfer profit to be OK FFP wise (If it still exists post Villa)

Solid work by Forest Green. I may incorporate some greyed-out Pulitzer medals into my website.

DjdCyBuXgAIjxB0

We should have a massive Star on our kit "REASON THE EUROPEAN CUP EXISTS"

Nice of them to use the same shirt for two seasons, easier for the fans. But those stars are seriously tinpot.

The English FA doing what the English FA does and looking to extend Southgate's contract to 2022. Apparently they are concerned that he may be poached by a PL side. If he wants to walk (he won't) then let him. As much as his team building and media openness was refreshing he was still found tactically lacking when we were under the cosh against Croatia.

The English FA doing what the English FA does and looking to extend Southgate's contract to 2022. Apparently they are concerned that he may be poached by a PL side. If he wants to walk (he won't) then let him. As much as his team building and media openness was refreshing he was still found tactically lacking when we were under the cosh against Croatia.

Spot on. The frailties that were there before the world cup were the reasons we did not beat anyone of note. Winning 3 drawing 1 and losing 3 yet finishing fourth says more about our current ability than anything else. We have potential but we lack creativity. Look how different some players at Wolves have been last year. Coady? Doherty? Both had excellent seasons and both were close to the top of the list of players I would have been happy to see sold last summer. That MUST be down to coaching. The change in mentality and ethos of our coaches has been instrumental in our promotion. The attitude going forward will be matched by our owners ambition. England need similar

This goes against what I said prior to the World Cup but I think Southgate staying with England is a good thing. Sure, there were tactical naiveties but I think with better players - particularly in the midfield areas - we'd have had a bit more about us to cope with that. I don't think the sense of unity, openness with the media and team spirit Southgate gave to us should be understated.

You don't need to be a World Class tactician to be a successful international manager - the players get that week in week out at their clubs. I'm more than happy to see him continue to build with England.

This goes against what I said prior to the World Cup but I think Southgate staying with England is a good thing. Sure, there were tactical naiveties but I think with better players - particularly in the midfield areas - we'd have had a bit more about us to cope with that. I don't think the sense of unity, openness with the media and team spirit Southgate gave to us should be understated.

You don't need to be a World Class tactician to be a successful international manager - the players get that week in week out at their clubs. I'm more than happy to see him continue to build with England.

Surely that's exactly what you need to be a successful international manager? They don't have anything like the time with the players to make much of a difference as a coach and that lack of time probably means they can get away with some shoddy man management at times too, but they need to be very good at identifying what their squad is capable of and how best to utilise them, tactics are your only way to really change the fortunes of the team as you're stuck with a set of players and don't really have much opportunity to improve them on the training ground.

Surely that's exactly what you need to be a successful international manager? They don't have anything like the time with the players to make much of a difference as a coach and that lack of time probably means they can get away with some shoddy man management at times too, but they need to be very good at identifying what their squad is capable of and how best to utilise them, tactics are your only way to really change the fortunes of the team as you're stuck with a set of players and don't really have much opportunity to improve them on the training ground.

Sampoali disproves this theory. He pissed everybody off in the Argentina team to the point they had no idea what they were doing. Man management is everything in such a short space of time. Bobby Robson wasn't the greatest tactician but as a man manager the players loved him and would run over hot coals for him.

Sampoali disproves this theory. He pissed everybody off in the Argentina team to the point they had no idea what they were doing. Man management is everything in such a short space of time. Bobby Robson wasn't the greatest tactician but as a man manager the players loved him and would run over hot coals for him.

I wouldn't say there's any hard and fast rule on it, if someone is useless like Sampaoli at the World Cup then then it's going to be completely intolerable if he's acting the dick as well, compare that to someone like Mourinho who's often a complete cunt but generally successful and people seem much happier to turn a blind eye or endure the annoyance because it gets them success. Personally, in a non-footballing career, there's no way I could tolerate working for someone who was a complete cunt all the time, regardless of the success they may or may not bring, but if it was only in small, occasional periods then it would be much more tolerable.

I think a lot of the praise Southgate is getting could potentially be the flip side of this, what he achieved on pure footballing terms wasn't particularly impressive but the attitude he's bought to the job and managed to impress on the squad has changed people's perceptions and so they're overlooking the weaknesses. If England had gone out against Colombia I don't think half as many people would be so impressed because the footballing failing would seem much more apparent and thus overshadow his plus points.

Just had a chat with Callum Davidson (Stoke assistant manager). He said Stoke are ideally looking to add '5 or 6' as they're worried about squad depth but are struggling to convince players to come in and be number 2 in their position. Starting to think about trying to find players with a bit of versatility to cover 2 or 3 spots.

EFL confirm Blues are in a mess:

https://www.efl.com/news/2018/august/birmingham-city-profitability-and-sustainability/

They can't get rid of all the shit they signed last year because they're all on ridiculous money. Stockdale is on £40k a week - of course, they had to chuck that kind of money around to tempt someone who was first choice for a team just promoted to the PL. But no-one else will repeat that mistake because his conditioning is terrible - stupidly overweight for a pro footballer. N'Doye is on £35k a week and he can barely put one foot in front of the other let alone play football.

£35k a week for N'Doye? Fucking hell, that is terrible. He was 31 when they signed him and he had only played 2 years of top flight football his whole career. Not to mention he is shit. Classic 'Arry that one is, signing every player he can get his greedy handers on. Fraud. If it had to happen to a club I am glad it is them though.

£35k per week for N'Doye is simply outrageous.

It's good it's happening to Blues they'll ensure the EFL stay on point with Villa in the new year.

Another EFL cop out. You can sign the player we told you not to, plus another 5. Do people think they'll have the balls to deduct Villa meaningful points?

Having thought about this overnight, I've concluded that I dislike redknapp more than I dislike blues. Probably helps we're in different divisions now, and it is more their fans I dislike, but redknapp is an absolute cancer on football. Where ever he goes, clubs hemorrhage money, end up in financial difficulties, and he walks away accepting no responsibility. The only one coming out of it with any benefit being rosie the dog.

He's footballs david cameron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back