• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2018/19 - everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the gobshite heard about Sporting/Rui and thought it was as easy as sending an email.

Hopefully he's buried.

Wonder if that's a mate of the player trying to make some quick cash? Just seems strange he seems to have had a good player/agent relationship,then all of a sudden he's got a new agent who's throwing his weight around

A lot of what ozil says is very applicable to here too sadly.

444d0b6866967bcac24f61c54896cbb5.jpg
95712ce15ae8c35a65463aeb9d2a1293.jpg

Ozil says that the DFB tried to turn him into political propaganda, but isn't it Erdogan that did that, or even himself? AKP asked him to have the photo with Erdogan as a PR thing and Ozil agreed to do that, he was surely aware that he is engaging in politics.

The abuse he has faced is disgusting of course and nobody should be subjected to that but he did choose, of his own volition, to be involved with Erdogan when the information about the human rights abuses by that regime are well known. Ozil argues it was because of his heritage as if that means he had no choice but to endorse Erdogan yet he clearly did. He can't just totally shirk responsibility like he does on the pitch. What Erdogan does goes against what modern German society should be like the same as those who give him the horrible abuse. There was inevitably going to be consequences from him doing that, as seen with the divide in the squad it caused.

I see that Man City recently partnered up with Barclays. And now they have taken advantage of that by getting a loan off them against their TV money for the season. A clever way of getting a huge cashflow influx up front to help them during the transfer window in negotiations for players.

https://twitter.com/youthhawk/status/1021106357053902848?s=21

England U16 squad - no Jack Hodnett from Wolves who has been involved plenty in last year

Serious talent in that squad. Bellingham (Birmingham), Barry (West Brom), Patino (Arsenal) , Dembele (Celtic), John (Spursh, Musialia (Chelsea) all very well regarded. Could be a very good group come a year or twos time come the international tournaments.

If I had to pick one out it would be Bellingham. Unbelievable player, interesting to see if Blues can hold on to him

A lot of what ozil says is very applicable to here too sadly.

444d0b6866967bcac24f61c54896cbb5.jpg
95712ce15ae8c35a65463aeb9d2a1293.jpg
Without wishing to go too off thread, nationality isn't as one dimensional as Tommy Robinson and Norman Tebbitt would like it to be. With an increasingly mobile world that's only going to get more complex. The people that refuse to accept Mo Farah as British for instance will happily belt out 'God Save the Queen' without seeing the irony.

I believe there is a right wing driven debate in France post World Cup around the term 'French African' and the need for the African part. The other side of the debate being it's important to recognise heritage.

As for Ozil, he has clearly faced racial abuse from within his own FA which is disgraceful, however his actions for the reasons WW has highlighted were a poor error of judgement.

Without wishing to go too off thread, nationality isn't as one dimensional as Tommy Robinson and Norman Tebbitt would like it to be. With an increasingly mobile world that's only going to get more complex. The people that refuse to accept Mo Farah as British for instance will happily belt out 'God Save the Queen' without seeing the irony.

I believe there is a right wing driven debate in France post World Cup around the term 'French African' and the need for the African part. The other side of the debate being it's important to recognise heritage.

As for Ozil, he has clearly faced racial abuse from within his own FA which is disgraceful, however his actions for the reasons WW has highlighted were a poor error of judgement.

Unfortunately twas ever thus. Lets remember its only 40 years since the first black player played for England at football. 50 since D'Oliveria and the Aphartied (may not have spelt that right) issues with his selection at cricket.The rules on qualification have seen plenty make use of their heritage and others make use of the place they live thanks to 5 years residency qualification. Hell we have had plenty of residence qualified "English" players in cricket since Alan Lamb, Robin Smith, KP. Curran was born in South Africa. We have even had the odd Australian turn out under the banner of England. The treatment cannot be condoned. The actions may not have been the smartest choice. Its basically a case of here is my arse please kick it. Its an open opportunity Ozil has presented to a narrow minded set who have and will take it.

Race and identity are still a very complex issue and a lot of it depends on the individual in question. Whereas Benjamin Mendy would argue that he is just French, although he is a Muslim and his parents are Senegalese, Adil Rami whose parents are Moroccan and he is a Muslim would say that he is representing Morocco within the French team and is a representation of many French-Moroccans living in France

The idea of nationality and citizenship in France is different to say, America, where everyone can hail descent from a wide array of places so you have lots of 'hyphenated Americans' so to call them. American ideas on race are coming across the Atlantic to Europe more and more I've noticed, and you can see this a lot with many people in American media making that 'Africa won the World Cup joke'. The idea of French citizenship has been for quite a long time that just you are just French, nothing else. You aren't defined by your religion, which is why they are so strongly secular, and you aren't by race or any other sub-identity either, only your Frenchness, which everyone is. Whether or not this is the correct way of defining nationality isn't something I want to or could debate but this is generally how they do it.

A lot of these people who insist on referring to the French team as French Africans, and these are people on the left as well as the right - the left likes to point out that these players have diverse backgrounds also in an attempt to hail them and can see it as a matter of pride, but some do find this patronising and divisive also as it is still maintaining the notion that these players can't be fully French. Both the right and the left maintain use of the phrase French African for different reasons. Whether they are right or wrong to does come down to the individual at the end of the day as for some people with non-French heritage they find this label appropriate while others do not.

Race and identity are still a very complex issue and a lot of it depends on the individual in question. Whereas Benjamin Mendy would argue that he is just French, although he is a Muslim and his parents are Senegalese, Adil Rami whose parents are Moroccan and he is a Muslim would say that he is representing Morocco within the French team and is a representation of many French-Moroccans living in France

The idea of nationality and citizenship in France is different to say, America, where everyone can hail descent from a wide array of places so you have lots of 'hyphenated Americans' so to call them. American ideas on race are coming across the Atlantic to Europe more and more I've noticed, and you can see this a lot with many people in American media making that 'Africa won the World Cup joke'. The idea of French citizenship has been for quite a long time that just you are just French, nothing else. You aren't defined by your religion, which is why they are so strongly secular, and you aren't by race or any other sub-identity either, only your Frenchness, which everyone is. Whether or not this is the correct way of defining nationality isn't something I want to or could debate but this is generally how they do it.

A lot of these people who insist on referring to the French team as French Africans, and these are people on the left as well as the right - the left likes to point out that these players have diverse backgrounds also in an attempt to hail them and can see it as a matter of pride, but some do find this patronising and divisive also as it is still maintaining the notion that these players can't be fully French. Both the right and the left maintain use of the phrase French African for different reasons. Whether they are right or wrong to does come down to the individual at the end of the day as for some people with non-French heritage they find this label appropriate while others do not.

I haven't heard anyone say this a single time.

Alright. One guy. And as he is African, I think it colors the comment rather differently than if, say, Donald Trump had said it.

South African (Africa is not a country :) ), but lived in US for a long time i think?

Mogadon Motson coming out of retirement after about 6 weeks

Another reason not to listen to talkshite https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44940691

Really not sure why he would want to sully his name by joining them - it's not as if he has been fully on it for a year or so anyway. Most of us know when retirement beckons & it makes sense to step aside - clearly not in his case.

I hate this Eleven Sports lot who have snapped up some of the European league rights.

We will be showing 5 top flight domestic leagues LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on ELEVEN SPORTS in the UK and Ireland…

LaLiga
Serie A
Eredivisie
Chinese Super League
Allsvenskan
Here are just some of the events you can watch this season on ELEVEN...

Will ELEVEN be showing Ronaldo’s debut for Juventus? Of course
Will ELEVEN have both El Clasico’s? You bet we will
Will ELEVEN show the reception Antoine Griezmann gets at the Nou Camp? That is going to be awkward
How about the return of Parma to Serie A? We can’t wait!
What about the Rome Derby? This is just too easy now!
The Madrid Derby? Next!
And the Milan Derby? Not even a challenge any more

Don't put shit like that on your website, it makes you look like a 14 year old YouTuber.

Plus they still don't actually have a channel as yet on any platform.

Fuck them, I'll steal the coverage when I want to watch a game. You drove me to this with that drivel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back