• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

My gym also had this new stuff called ARKE. Some weird stuff that helps central core.

Okay so I'm planning on going to the gym 5 times a week once again and I'm wondering if anyone knows any tips or sites to help me come up with a workout routine. Seeing as I'm going to be spending a lot of time there it's worth trying to be effective as possible.

It's pretty easy to figure out.

I have a 4 day split for lifting.

Day 1 - Chest and Triceps
Day 2 - Back and Biceps
Day 3 - Shoulders and Traps
Day 4 - Legs

I do 5 or 6 exercises for each of chest, back, and legs. 2 or 3 exercises for the other groups listed. If you find yourself plateauing, switch up the exercises (ie. chest leveling off, switch to dumbbells or cables instead of barbells).

A little update from me:

The diet has been a resounding success so far :D. I feel much fitter than I was, and can see the improvements in the mirror massively, and my clothes are baggier than they were 5 weeks ago. No longer have such a pot belly and my arse has shrunk from the size of SEBs to the size of Doyler's, so decent work right there. Hadn't weighed myself once in the last 5 weeks until today - turns out i've lost 5kg (11lb)! Thats 1kg (over 2lb) a week.. much more than I thought, so I'm way on track.

I'm keeping this up for 3 more weeks, then I'm switching my exercise regime from a cardio-rich one to a weights-rich one, and i'm going to eat slightly over my calorie intake so I can put on some muscle. Hopefully I can be Elokobi-esque by Christmas ;) .

I should market this as The Wolves Diet; get from Ebanks-Blake to Elokobi (via Doyler) in 4 months!

I've been doing a fair bit of running recently in preparation for a 10k race I'm doing for charity next month, I've managed to go from someone who struggled to do 2km without stopping to this morning doing a 7km run at a fairly good pace (5.22/km). The 10km will kill me I'm sure but I'm reasonably confident I can do it. I do feel fitter and healthier for doing this training though, despite being someone who is closer to underweight than overweight it doesn't mean I'm healthy!

Anyway, not that I expect anyone too but if you'd like to sponsor me I won't try and stop you! http://www.justgiving.com/Phil-Stuart

My top tip for putting on muscle - Drink milk after each workout. It works just as well as protein drinks according to some recent studies.

My top tip for putting on muscle - Drink milk after each workout. It works just as well as protein drinks according to some recent studies.

Protein powder mixed in milk also helps as it bulks up the calorie content for recovery (protein powders are generally low-cal), plus milk has a decent amount of protein in too.
I'm looking forward to chucking some weights about, haven't lifted for about 2 years (did marathon last year, then i've been lazy ever since).

Okay so I'm planning on going to the gym 5 times a week once again and I'm wondering if anyone knows any tips or sites to help me come up with a workout routine. Seeing as I'm going to be spending a lot of time there it's worth trying to be effective as possible.

I like my rule. 2 days of training gives you one day off. For it to count as a session it must be at least 50 min. No breaks over 3 min is allowed, always aim for good intensity and make sure things are heavy, but that you still can do it technical correct. Make a nice mix each week of cardio and iron. Do this for a year and you will be in top shape.

Last edited:
Took up playing badminton about 3 months ago. Now joined a health club and tonight myself and Sandra did something called "Kettlebell Training". Please put me down now! I'm in so much pain...God help me in the morning and on the terrace at Peterborough

I joined WeightWatchers on Wednesday. Their points system is pretty useful and my daily allowance is 56. In 2 days I've worked out that I could stuff myself with food for way less than that if I wanted. Just got to get my right ankle working properly so I can get out on my bike and I'll be all set!

I like my rule. 2 days of training gives you one day off. For it to count as a session it must be at least 50 min. No breaks over 3 min is allowed, always aim for good intensity and make sure things are heavy, but that you still can do it technical correct. Make a nice mix each week of cardio and iron. Do this for a year and you will be in top shape.
Hmm I think Saturdays are the only day I take off from lifting and I don't ever feel like I'm over-doing it. But then again, I have put on about 15 lbs of muscle in the past month and a half.

I still haven't weighed myself yet, but there is a massive difference in my clothes now. I still have a fair way to go to get where I want, but the first six weeks (five really as I screwed my ankle up) have worked wonders.

Try doing plenty of sprints when on a long run. 20 or 30 second bursts every few minutes or so. Alternatively get up on the pedals going uphill when you need more power. This uses more of the core muscles and burns the fat off quicker.

Long time lurking on the forum, but this thread is partly responsible for me popping out for a 2.5 mile run this morning so thanks for that.

Don't care if it's a rubbish distance or not - I didn't expect to get to the end of the street!

Long time lurking on the forum, but this thread is partly responsible for me popping out for a 2.5 mile run this morning so thanks for that.

Don't care if it's a rubbish distance or not - I didn't expect to get to the end of the street!

About 2.4 miles further than I can manage right now. Fair play for making the effort and welcome to the forum

Bit of a health scare last night. Don't want to be feeling pains in my chest. So Doc's in the morning to get that checked out then time to put a serious fitness plan together and get my arse into gear and do it

Dust the cobwebs off this thread...

I joined Slimming World last week and just back from my first weigh in...3 1/2 lb this week so pretty happy considering the fact I had a night out Saturday followed by a Subway at 4am and two McDonalds yesterday...:whistle:

Anyway going to try and double my weight loss with a much more controlled week this week

Back