• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

Today's run: 28 minutes 24 seconds. Delighted - and I'm finding it takes me very little time to recover after a run now.

As I was lying in bed pondering the problems of the world,
I rapidly realized that I don't really give a rat's arse.
It's the tortoise life for me!

1.. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.
2.. A whale swims all day, only eats fish, drinks water, and is fat.
3.. A rabbit runs and hops and only lives 15 years.
4.. A tortoise doesn't run and does nothing, yet it lives for 450 years.
And you tell me to exercise??
I don't think so.

I'm retired.
Go around me.

Anyone on here done a triathlon? - I'm very close to taking the plunge on a sprint version (half distance) and would like to know of any suitable diet and training regimen. As things stand I swim with a coach once a week and cycle as often as I can; running will re-start in March once I've gotten through the enforced layoff the doctor prescribed me (long story).

Thought I'd try again and see if my ankle could withstand a 5km run.

Fortunately, it did and I smashed my previous PB by over a minute (28:06 at a distance of 3.27 miles) which I'm very pleased with. Put an icepack on my foot afterwards and there's minimal (if any) swelling. I'll keep taking it easy until it feels absolutely fine but glad to be back out running again.

9 minute miles Langers, pretty good going.

Small milestone but I dead lifted 100KG on Monday and did 4 unaided wide overhand pull-ups, as I weigh 112KG I was really chuffed. Not that heavy for some but it is for me.

9 minute miles Langers, pretty good going.

8:36 average according to RunKeeper. Unsurprisingly, the split times tail off! The first few are 8:10 and 8:15 so I might reverse the route as there are some bastardish hills towards the end.

Running downhill is bad for you, m'kay?

So, any of you arsehats want to talk to me about triathlon?

I have joined a competitive football team! ... Well, started one. And it's only 5-a-side at Power league.

Same group of lads who have been playing on Sunday with me, just renting a pitch.

Went and fetched some new astro's, shin-pads and socks - It's been a while!! The display is almost blinding all those bright greens and pinks.

Really looking forward to getting my ass kicked. (Apparently we've had to go into Div.1 as it's the only space available)

New PB: 3.2 miles in 26 minutes. Averaging a mile every 8 minutes, 16 seconds. Really happy with that, though need to get the ice pack on my ankle now.

Might I suggest that if you're going for an ice pack immediately after running you're going to do more bad to yourself than improving your fitness?

If it's not hurting whilst running then it's probably alright. Better to keep the joint as active as possible without causing pain and then use RICE to prevent swelling/aid recovery.

That's what I've been told to do by a personal trainer! Feels fine and improving all the time. It used to stay swollen for ages hence me stopping but I'm recovering fine now.

I'm just not running as often as I'd like to be safe.

If it's not hurting whilst running then it's probably alright. Better to keep the joint as active as possible without causing pain and then use RICE to prevent swelling/aid recovery.

RICE - that's the one! Doesn't hurt at all during running.

When I've been to the physio with my knees he's always said the same. Fuck using painkillers or supports as they just cover up the problem, keep the joint as active as pain allows so things don't heal short and cause even greater problems with tightness. Use ice to control swelling after and between exercising and stretch as often as possible so your muscles are nice and limber to take the strain off ligaments/tendons.

Langers, have you actually got and been fitted for proper running shoes? And recently? If not do so sooner rather than later as it will help as you may be under- or over-pronating and that may be causing the issue.

I'm on the verge of starting running again. I downloaded an app today.

Baby steps and all that...

Is that to go with your nude swimming? Take up cycling and you can join me in a triathlon.

Back