• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Film Thread

Philip Seymour hoffman is indeed superb.

The potter books are excellent. The films less so imo.

Hanna is on channel 4 tomorrow night I think. Might watch that.

Just sat through This Is The End.

Pathetic. Thank fuck when the end did eventually come.

I'm off work on Thu/Fri this week. Off to see Gravity in IMAX 3D at Birmingham Cineworld on Thursday. Then it's The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug at the local Cineworld on Friday.

My new employment status between now and Christmas has opened up a whole world of possibilities for film watching - thinking of watching Hobbit 1 before going to see the other one later in the week.

My new employment status between now and Christmas has opened up a whole world of possibilities for film watching - thinking of watching Hobbit 1 before going to see the other one later in the week.

I've got it ready to watch tonight or Wednesday. Extended version too, which I haven't seen before.

I'll have to acquire it from the t'interweb and watch it - probably on Wednesday as I "work from home"

I watched the extended cut last week in preparation.

Saw Gravity today in IMAX 3D. The visuals and sound were outstanding and the 3D was a really fantastic immersive experience.

I wasn't blown away by the film but it was certainly good. Little things annoyed me like Bullock taking her sweet old time with everything when it was obvious time was of the ultimate essence. I thought Clooney was the best thing in it, and can't understand the Buzz Lightyear type comments. In fact I think Bullock was a slight miscasting. She took me out of the film too many times because my brain couldn't get around the concept of her as an astronaut. They could have got a better actress IMO. Someone like Jessica Chastain or Marion Cotillard jumps immediately to mind.

I thought Bullock was great, worth noting that her character is a scientist who's been taken to space, not a fully fledged astronaut and I think she portrayed that pretty well.

She doesn't convince as anything approaching intellectual. I just can't suspend any disbelief with her. It's as bad as Meg Ryan as a helicopter pilot or Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist.

For me she's a light hearted comedy actress. Good at that for sure but best leaving the serious stuff to others.

Back from Hobbit 2. Much more enjoyable than the first. It had a proper narrative and it was less set-piece to set-piece and more of a proper story with added action. It felt like a proper Middle Earth film and the pace and tone was just right. The 2hrs 40mins flew by. Can't wait to see the extended edition.

Evangeline Lilly is perfect as an elf.

Back from Hobbit 2. Much more enjoyable than the first. It had a proper narrative and it was less set-piece to set-piece and more of a proper story with added action. It felt like a proper Middle Earth film and the pace and tone was just right. The 2hrs 40mins flew by. Can't wait to see the extended edition.

Evangeline Lilly is perfect as an elf.

Excellent stuff - I think I'm seeing it on Tuesday night.

Oh and the barrel escape was one of the best action scenes in the 5 movies so far IMO. Really well done.

I'd forgotten how much of a crush I had on Ms. Lilly since Lost ended!

Back