• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Film Thread

I'm going to see it on Monday combined with going to Hooters for Wings. Good night ahead!

Peter O'Toole has passed away - sad news. RIP.

Watched Pacific Rim last night.

I bloody loved it. The acting was appalling, the plot decidely ropey, the one-liners cringeworthy, but it was 2 hours of fuck off great huge robots kicking the shit out of 200 foot tall monsters with tons of explosions and flying debris. Even the dude from Green Street who can't act to save his life didn't spoil it for me. It was great!

Just got back from The Hobbit. Absolutely loved it - agree with Bear about the barrel chase but for me, the best bit by far was the way Smaug was unveiled. I like the way they're building up to the LOTR plot line although it's clear to me that it's just padding the story of The Hobbit to ensure there are 3 films worth. I can't say that bothers me at all as I've really enjoyed both of them so far.

Better than the first one yet won't reach the heights of the LOTR trilogy for me as the story just isn't as strong. But still a superb film nonetheless and a great way to spend nearly 3 hours!!

The she-elf was very fit indeed.

Anchorman 2 tomorrow. After the relentless slog that is Christmas sales, it's nice to be getting out again. So overpaid on tickets to sit in the Premium bit.

I watched Hobbit 2 last night and was left thoroughly frustrated by where and how it ended - in a good way! It was just getting to the crunch and up pop the credits: I hadn't even realised that 2 hours 40 minutes had gone by. I'd read a lot of critiques of the film on Facebook: lack of plot, poorly made, deviates from the narrative of the book; the last bit is true, but the first two couldn't be more wrong.

I didn't enjoy the first film too much: it felt a bit like a cinematic brag to me and, at times, I struggled to follow the plot. I felt much like I did about the first Lord of the Rings film: a means to establish the background story and nothing more. Once DoS got going it was fabulous and if the third film is even a patch on Return of the King I may spontaneously combust in the middle of the cinema in pure joy: I'm not sure I can wait an entire year for it to come out!

Recent films I've seen:

World War Z - ah - another zombie film. How original. It should have been called World War Zzzzzzz.......

The World's End - that's more like it. Absolutely genius - better than Hot Fuzz and possibly as good as Shaun of the Dead (a GOOD zombie film). I absolutely loved it. Made me want to go on a pub crawl.

Exactly what I thought of TWE Langers. Great film.

Anchorman 2. Brilliant

Sure there is a story in the film somewhere but it's hidden behind a ton of stupidity and randomness.

Went to see The Secret Life of Walter Mitty last night. A film that was meant to have made years ago with Jim Carrey as the lead but it never took off and eventually Ben Stiller took it on (including directing it I think)

Decent film, Stiller was actually very good in the role. Not a fast paced film but good viewing for a couple of hours.

Also watched the Internship the other day....what a load of bollocks that was. Vince Vaughn & Owen Wilson spend 2 hours telling us how fucking fantastic Google is and how they are the greatest company ever created and how everyone should aspire to work for them.

I went to see 'The Railway Man' this afternoon. A really good film.

Sounds like a thread - books that have been as good as or even better than the book.

Stand by Me, Shawshank Redemption, 2001 are all examples for me. They're rare, but do exist.

Jaws. One of my favourite films of all time but I actually think the book is a bit naff.

I prefer the Game of Thrones TV series to the books.

The Hunger Games (only seen the first film but have read all 3 books so looking forward to the rest of the films).

I also really dislike The Hobbit but have very much enjoyed the films (that will no doubt annoy Tolkein purists but the book did my head in - though I like LOTR).

Back