• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Film Thread

Won cinema tickets at work so went to see Captain Phillips. Gripping, well worth a watch, and Tom Hanks is excellent as usual.

As an homage to watching 12 angry men at the theatre a week ago, I watched the dvd last night.

Epic film.

One of my favourites. Funny how a lot of modern courtroom dramas lack the suspense of this.

It's brilliantly done. Largely set in one room, the camera getting tighter and tighter throughout, the actors getting sweatier and sweatier. Very simple and very effective.

It's brilliantly done. Largely set in one room, the camera getting tighter and tighter throughout, the actors getting sweatier and sweatier. Very simple and very effective.

For sheer claustrophobia I can't think of a better film.

For sheer claustrophobia I can't think of a better film.

You's right. From Wiki:

At the beginning of the film, the cameras are positioned above eye level and mounted with wide-angle lenses to give the appearance of greater depth between subjects, but as the film progresses the focal length of the lenses is gradually increased. By the end of the film, nearly everyone is shown in closeup using telephoto lenses from a lower angle, which decreases or "shortens" depth of field. Lumet, who began his career as a director of photography, stated that his intention in using these techniques with cinematographer Boris Kaufman was to create a nearly palpable claustrophobia.

As an homage to watching 12 angry men at the theatre a week ago, I watched the dvd last night.

Epic film.

Just looked that up on imdb. Are you talking about the 1957 movie of the 1997 one with James Gandolfini as one of the jurors?

Just watched The World's End.

Excellent stuff. Very funny and a great nod to the sci-fi genre. I thought Nick Frost gave his best ever performance - Very funny and good acting when it was called for.

Good soundtrack too, though the 90s was my teenage genre just like the characters in the film. It certainly takes you back to those nights out with all your mates in your local town. Well the first half of the film does anyway.

I think I like it better than Hot Fuzz actually. Not quite up there with Shaun Of The Dead but not far off.

8/10

Just back from seeing Gravity. Quite simply it's magnificent, visually the best film I've ever seen and it's just brilliantly made. A complete rollercoaster and very intense and at times stressful so I'm not sure how 'enjoyable' it is but seriously one that needs to be watched in 3D on the big screen.

I'm off to see Gravity on Tuesday in 3D. It'll be the first time I've felt it necessary to see a film in 3D.

I've been toying with the idea of going to see this too.
Last film I went to the cinema for was Ted!

It's one that if you see it, has to be in 3D, it was made and filmed specifically for it and I imagine would be nothing like as good in 2D.

I had to pay 12 fucking quid. 12!? No wonder people watch stuff illegally, I normally only ever go to the cinema on a Tuesday (when cineworld have cheaper tickets) or on a wednesday if I can get a code to get BOGOFF.

Cineworld on cheap day for me. Plus 10% off online. Makes it just over £8 which is about my limit.

Just watched The World's End.

Excellent stuff. Very funny and a great nod to the sci-fi genre. I thought Nick Frost gave his best ever performance - Very funny and good acting when it was called for.

Good soundtrack too, though the 90s was my teenage genre just like the characters in the film. It certainly takes you back to those nights out with all your mates in your local town. Well the first half of the film does anyway.

I think I like it better than Hot Fuzz actually. Not quite up there with Shaun Of The Dead but not far off.

8/10

I loved it but I love all their stuff, and them.

Never will anything match Shaun, but it was enjoyable.

Back