• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Film Thread

Why does the 48fps version look awful? It's the same film.

I'm off to watch it at 4pm this afternoon.

Take a soft cushion to sit on with you...it's a long old film and takes a while to get going!

That's fine with me Darlo.

I sat through all 3 extended editions of LOTR and they were 3hr+ each.

I did that. Back to back as well. Had a BIG bag of sweets. #hardcore

They've confirmed there will be EEs of all three Hobbit films too.

Still don't know how they're going to get 3 films out of it - I presume they've added new bits into the story?

Yeah they've extended some of the action sequences that get glossed over in the book and also added extra bits in from the LOTR appendices that aren't in the book.

I imagine it will still be quite slow though.

I see. I quite liked the way they adapted the story where necessary in the first trilogy so I'm not too concerned about that.

I can barely remember all the stuff in The Hobbit from when I read it, and I couldn't find it last week when I thought about re-reading it in preparation.

So I won't be able to tell you the differences.

I'm reading it now - struggling a bit TBH - it's a bit babyish compared to LOTR. I don't think I've read the Hobbit since I was about 10!

I forgot it was primarily a kids book.

Well I thought it was great. Pacing wasn't an issue at all as there was plenty of action.

If you like LOTR you'll like this. Loads of new characters introduced. I particularly liked Sylvester McCoy's Radagast The Brown. Who funnily enough wasn't in The Hobbit but was in LOTR and was left out of those films.

It was great seeing old characters like Frodo, Gollum, Elrond and Galadriel too.

Excellent. Looking forward to seeing it myself - I presume you saw it in normal format?

I'm watching The Two Towers as we speak - still absolutely fantastic after 10 years!

Yep bog standard 2D 24fps.

I think Jackson has put in a lot of fast panning shots and movement to try and show off the new 48fps. As a result therew was a lot of motion blur and judder, to the point where the screen seemed slightly out of focus.

P.S. The Two Towers was the weakest of the trilogy IMO. Too much talking and travelling. If it wasn't for Helm's Deep I don't think I'd particularly like it at all.

I couldn't pick a favourite out of the three of them - every single one is just superb.

The LOTR trilogy was full of padding and very slow so lord knows what a trilogy of Hobbit films will be like given its based on a 300 page book.

I'm going to see it on Monday at the new IMAX in Nottingham. Should be fun!

256 page book as I remember. The annoying thing is that Jackson cannot use the best padding out there as the tolkein estate won't give him rights over the silmarillion and unfinished tales. The LOTR appendices are great to mine, but the silmarillion is where the extra geekiness is at.

In things non-hobbit, after masterchef last night, squeeze located constantine on a film channel. I had forgotten how darkly brilliant that film was.

In things non-hobbit, after masterchef last night, squeeze located constantine on a film channel. I had forgotten how darkly brilliant that film was.

Wrong thread, but Masterchef was great. For a change, all three finalists were quite likeable.

Back