• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Euro 2024 Thread

How good are Slovakia I know they’ve got some good midfielders Lobotka and Skriniar spring to mind not sure about the rest.
Really don’t see how we’ll turn this around the form and performances have been rancid this calendar year.

He’s not going to start experimenting in the knockouts. He should have rotated more in the groups for sure though. Mainoo is the right call I think anyway.
Definitely should have involved others more after the first game. Resting a couple and trying others in the same 'system'.

He’s not going to start experimenting in the knockouts. He should have rotated more in the groups for sure though. Mainoo is the right call I think anyway.
Should be dropping Saka for Palmer too. Saka is completely knackered and Palmer is on fire.

How good are Slovakia I know they’ve got some good midfielders Lobotka and Skriniar spring to mind not sure about the rest.
Really don’t see how we’ll turn this around the form and performances have been rancid this calendar year.
Dubravka is pretty poor/average.

Hopefully we bloody test him!

I liked Sven a lot but a lot of it was his own fault.

2002: Brazil really weren't great and down to 10 men. We barely had a shot after the red card because he wouldn't change anything. Also he failed to beat Sweden or Nigeria in the group which put us on that side of the draw
2004: It's bad luck that Rooney got injured when he was the best player in the tournament and we were 1-0 up but Vassell as a straight swap was a terrible sub
2006: Maybe when Rooney and Owen are both not really fit, take more than one other striker (that you aren't 100% sold on) and a child, plus change the team when it's obvious for multiple games that it isn't working
Tactically inflexible. Lampard said he'd never play a 3 in midfield so we were often outnumbered and Rio said he didn't want his CBs on the ball.

Two players at UCL level. Rest are shite. Getting this out there now before we have Southgate telling us how good they are tomorrow when we've lost or scraped a win.

For those who like insurance policies, Slovakia are 5.7 to qualify/reach the quarter finals on betfair.

Why wouldn't you pick Gomez there who's at least played a bunch of games in that position this season? Don't think I've ever seen Konsa at left back.

Just punt Saka back there so you can play Palmer without having to worry about dropping one of the first choice.

It's only the bloated nature of the format that has Slovakia in the knockout stages. They'll play with a low block and 10 men behind the ball. We aren't entitled to beat them, we have to prove it, but it'd be gross mismanagement for us to not win.

I think Gaz is fully capable of gross mismanagement

For this I'd go 3 at the back
Pickford
Walker Stones Guehi
TAA Rice Bellingham Saka
Palmer Kane Gordon

Wouldn't work against a better side, but against a team that's likely to just put men behind the ball I'd look to maximise the width

Pickford
Walker Stones Guehi
TAA Rice Bellingham Saka
Palmer Kane Gordon

Wouldn't work against a better side, but against a team that's likely to just put men behind the ball I'd look to maximise the width
If Southgate went with that it would be 5 at the back such is his conservatism.

If we do go with Konsa or Gomez we have to have Gordon giving width on the left or we will be far too narrow

Southgate doesn’t see it though, either that or he’s too scared to drop one of the ‘stars’ to make the team have more balance. I genuinely think he’s happy with how we’ve played, all he’s after is basically playing for 0-0 and assuming at some point some of our talented players will do a goal

I think Southgate definitely believes that a pragmatic, conservative approach can be successful in winning tournaments, and in that I think there is some truth. However, the problem with that is the talent in the England team doesn't really dovetail with that kind of football. The players we have need to be more positive and on the front foot.

I think Southgate definitely believes that a pragmatic, conservative approach can be successful in winning tournaments, and in that I think there is some truth. However, the problem with that is the talent in the England team doesn't really dovetail with that kind of football. The players we have need to be more positive and on the front foot.
i guess it's fair to say if you've built your team around kalvin phillips and he's not available, well what are you supposed to do!

Pickford
Walker Stones Guehi
TAA Rice Bellingham Saka
Palmer Kane Gordon

Definitely a good option but cant see Southgate doing it.

Why wouldn't you pick Gomez there who's at least played a bunch of games in that position this season? Don't think I've ever seen Konsa at left back.

Just punt Saka back there so you can play Palmer without having to worry about dropping one of the first choice.
Think he played Konsa at LB in at least one of the pre tournament friendlies, did ok as far as I remember.
Whether Konsa or Gomez, they won't be any worse than Trippier.

Think he played Konsa at LB in at least one of the pre tournament friendlies, did ok as far as I remember.
Whether Konsa or Gomez, they won't be any worse than Trippier.
The problem with your quite correct assumption is that the left hand side hasn’t worked yet. Not being worse isn’t going to be better unless Gordon is ahead of him. If Shaw is fit for 45 minutes he should play. You wouldn’t want to bring him on in case he breaks down.

Back