• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Euro 2024 Thread

Don't think France were that bad really, Austria gave them a lot to think about with Rangnick's press.

A little more composure up front and the French waltz through that really.

I don't see how people can say this and in the same breath say England were decent.

Both identical performances only the French had more attacking threat.
It was a worse performance against a weaker side. Serbia had one shot.

Wrong thread but Davies came out with some absolute classic lines which were off the cuff unlike the scripted shite used today and in yesteryears by Motson.

Yeah, he did, but he was a bit too ‘public school’ for me and with his ability to switch sports with his work at Wimbledon and suchlike came across more as a professional commentator than a football man.

I know that’s a bit harsh as he was sublime at his craft but I always felt a bit uncomfortable with someone commentating on Jimmy Case whacking Joe Jordan one week and the Burleigh horse trials the next.

Speaking as a neutral in this cross-channel not-very-good-athon, I am extremely confident that both France and England will improve a fair bit over the tournament. Getting through the first game without dropping a bollock like Belgium did is probably the most important thing (unless Mbappe re-arranging his nose over his face rules him out for games, which I doubt it will).
Both teams will be forces in the latter stages. And are rightfully favourites. I will concede that Spain looked tasty though.

Fwiw Austria are ranked higher than Serbia. 24th vs 33rd
Much of a muchness when you get over 20 to 40 though isn't it?

Plus look at Serbia's starting 11 versus Austria's I know which one looks stronger.

Anyway it's largely irrelevant, the entitlement some England fans have is similar to that of supporters of United, Liverpool etc.

It surprises me when I see it from Wolves supporters.

Anyway it's largely irrelevant, the entitlement some England fans have is similar to that of supporters of United, Liverpool etc.

It surprises me when I see it from Wolves supporters.
Definitely, imagine when we were in the Championship how it'd go down if someone was moaning that we only beat Millwall 1-0 or whatever.

Yeah, of course. No need for the entitlement though as if we should walk over teams 5-0 automatically (not accusing you of this).

Rio was doing it pre-match on Sunday.

You can think we played poorly but still won no?
It's not about playing poorly a such, I thought we were OK to good in the first half. It's the opposition making changes which alter the game and Southgate being unable to counter it...again. Against a better side it'll bite us.

The subs were good tbf but Serbia basically went man to man in the second half and we did nothing tactically to adapt to it so we just couldn’t keep the ball.

They also dropped a bit lucky with Kostic getting injured, he's never been able to defend (he's not a LWB really) and Saka was ripping him every time. Mladenovic was way better.

The subs were good tbf but Serbia basically went man to man in the second half and we did nothing tactically to adapt to it so we just couldn’t keep the ball.
Obviously it's all about the eye test, and there were moments where I felt nervous. Particularly from crosses - but we dealt with those really well.

Looking at it objectively, it was a pretty comfortable win.

1000053415.jpg

Obviously it's all about the eye test, and there were moments where I felt nervous. Particularly from crosses - but we dealt with those really well.
They had Mitrovic, Vlahovic and Jovic all playing up front at various stages, all good strikers and none of them had a proper chance bar Mitro's first half one when Trent messed up (well wide from 20+ yards in the end). We defended the box excellently.

Back