• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Advice Thread

Your solicitor should press your employer for the information. I assume your solicitor is aware of the 'Woolf Reform' which requires full disclosure from both parties.

I don't know the details of the accident or injury outcome but from what I gather it was reportable under RIDDOR.

I was under the impression that any workplace injury that keeps an employee off work for 7 days or more is obliged to be reported and investigated by the HSE.

At least that's what my union rep told me last week at work, as we had a guy fall over and hurt his shoulder not long back and they did for that.

As I thought. Leeds mentioned it was a RIDDOR reportable incident and your employer should have followed these guidelines.

Over-seven-day incapacitation of a worker

Accidents must be reported where they result in an employee or self-employed person being away from work, or unable to perform their normal work duties, for more than seven consecutive days as the result of their injury. This seven day period does not include the day of the accident, but does include weekends and rest days. The report must be made within 15 days of the accident.

RIDDOR has very specific injuries that need to be reported - not aware exactly what Frank suffered (though it was clearly a serious one), may not have quite met their criteria for reporting.

Having said that the firm cannot continually refuse to release information as to whether they have reported or not

Yes but he was incapacitated for more than seven days, so should have been reported as a matter of course.

Yes but he was incapacitated for more than seven days, so should have been reported as a matter of course.

Not aware now of a time limit, thought that it was specific injuries that needed reporting - though have been out of the employment loop for 15 months so things may have changed.

Your solicitor should press your employer for the information. I assume your solicitor is aware of the 'Woolf Reform' which requires full disclosure from both parties.

I don't know the details of the accident or injury outcome but from what I gather it was reportable under RIDDOR.
I am sure my solicitor will be aware of that I will ask on Monday. The injury is still ongoing as it is not known how much use I will get back in the hand.

Thank you for your help.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the help Gents. I will let you know the outcome.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Another thought - even though your employer may have reported as required by RIDDOR, it doesn't necessarily mean that the HSE will investigate. That may be the reason why the HSE hasn't contacted you directly.

RIDDOR has very specific injuries that need to be reported - not aware exactly what Frank suffered (though it was clearly a serious one), may not have quite met their criteria for reporting.

Having said that the firm cannot continually refuse to release information as to whether they have reported or not
Indeed it does, but if the specific injury itself isn't reportable, any injury at work which results in incapacitation for more than 7 days is reportable.

Don't know the full ins and outs but I know with my company any injury that results in hospital visit is recorded as RIDDOR

Don't know the full ins and outs but I know with my company any injury that results in hospital visit is recorded as RIDDOR
A worker admitted to hospital for more than 24 hours is reportable to the HSE under RIDDOR.

Not aware now of a time limit, thought that it was specific injuries that needed reporting - though have been out of the employment loop for 15 months so things may have changed.
It used to be incapacitation for more than 3 days, but was changed to more than 7 days on 6 April 2012.

If you have a H&S committee you should have H&S reps?

I appreciate the advice I have been given, so I will give a quick account of my accident:

I was at work on Monday 31st October, and was walking in the yard where the lorries are parked. A colleague was loading a roll cage onto a lorry and had put it on the back of the vehicle. While he was moving another cage, the first one rolled off the lorry and my left hand took the full force. I was taken to the George Eliot hospital in Nuneaton where the hand was x rayed. But the swelling was so severe that they asked me to return the next day. When I went back on the Tuesday I was sent to Coventry University Hospital where the hand was operated on. I was in hospital for four days, and off work for thirteen weeks. I am now back at work but on amended duties, a situation that could last some time. I am having physiotherapy twice a week, but I have been given no guarantees as to how much use I will get back in the hand.

I don't do things by halves do I...

Last edited:
Back