• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Advice Thread

Just been asked by my boss to pick somewhere to eat this evening on Broad Street in Brum as we have a meeting there tomorrow morning and a few of us need food.

Any recommendations as I don't live around the area?

Plenty of choice in Brindley Place, just off Broad Street.

Have you thought about taking them out in Sparkbrook, as otherwise you're basically racist.

Just been asked by my boss to pick somewhere to eat this evening on Broad Street in Brum as we have a meeting there tomorrow morning and a few of us need food.

Any recommendations as I don't live around the area?

If its Real Ale that you want with your meal. Not too far to walk.

http://www.purecraftbars.com/

So, bit of advice needed about jobs....

Currently working as a QE for a global company who supplies parts to VW. Been with them now since last September, contract based. Contract ends the 1st of April, had a few talks about new projects and new roles, but still under contract until July. Based on my performance this would then (maybe) be a full time position within the company. (Previous discussions I was told in a round about way they would continue to re-new the contract every quarter till tasks were complete)

Out of the blue, had a recruiter call me today asking I'd be interested in a full time direct hire position, full benefits, paid holidays etc etc.
Issue is, I currently supply parts to the company for which the vacancy is for. So know most of the staff at the company.
Whilst I really do enjoy my role right now, commute time is over an hour, but I can pretty much pick and choose my hours, lunch and overtime. The pay is above average for the industry. But being a contractor they can cancel the contract at any time for any reason.
The position offered is about 15 minutes from my house, offers full benefits and again pays above average for the industry, however as a supplier of theirs I know there issues with other suppliers they have and seem to be thin on the ground staffwise...

So do I stick where I am in the hope my past 7 or so months have been successful based on my performance and hope they take me full time in July or opt out as it stands right now, be closer to home with benefits and paid holidays...?

I think a lot would depend on your personal situation. Family commitments, financial commitments etc..

If you're after that security in life immediately then the new company could be the way forward. If you are in the situation where you don't have so many commitments, and you enjoy working with your current company then you may be in the position to gamble on the contract offer coming.

I think a lot would depend on your personal situation. Family commitments, financial commitments etc..

If you're after that security in life immediately then the new company could be the way forward. If you are in the situation where you don't have so many commitments, and you enjoy working with your current company then you may be in the position to gamble on the contract offer coming.

Well currently as is with most contract jobs, they offer no benefits whatsoever and with the option of a rolling contract this would not change.
Financially we are "ok" typical bills like everyone else. So the money isn't really an issue, closer to home would be nicer for sure, but I regularly go to the proposed company at least once a fortnight so am really familiar with the place already.
Security would be nice and I'm sure it would come at the other company, but who knows when? But I could have that pretty much the day I start...

I'd say it's potentially a bit awkward with the two companie having a working relationship. If they were completely unrelated then you could've played them off each other to some extent, using the new permanent offer to try and force the current employer into making your employment permanent rather than lose you all together sort of thing but you'd have to be comfortable taking the new offer to play that hand just in case the current employer said 'good riddance' when you tell them you've had another offer.

I imagine you'll have to keep a working relationship with both parties regardless of which side of the fence you end up on so probably best to keep everything above board, would your current employer be annoyed by one of their clients/customers trying to poach one of their staff?

Does anyone know how I can get information from the health and safety executive?

Thanks Darlo, but as an employee I cannot access the information I need, and I do not want to go through my employer to get it.

Putting differences aside for a moment Frank may I ask 'Why do you need to contact the HSE'?

Putting differences aside for a moment Frank may I ask 'Why do you need to contact the HSE'?

I would prefer to put our differences aside completely.

Regarding the HSE, my solicitor has asked me if the HSE have contacted me about my accident. I told them that they haven't, which surprised the solicitor. They have now asked the company for documentation sent to the HSE relating to my accident, but the company have so far failed to respond to this request.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Back