• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Advice Thread

The reasons why I'm contemplating it:

• I order plenty of things from there anyway
  • I've got a Fire Stick so better quality shows available
  • I like the idea of borrowing a free book for the Kindle - which I'm looking at getting in time for my holiday
  • Unlimited photo storage on the cloud drive

For less than £7 a month, that's probably well worth it.

Obviously be aware that if you purchase from a Marketplace Seller that fulfill their own orders they are not part of the Prime deal. Only the orders that come directly from Amazon's warehouses are.

Obviously be aware that if you purchase from a Marketplace Seller that fulfill their own orders they are not part of the Prime deal. Only the orders that come directly from Amazon's warehouses are.

Yeah, I've seen them. I rarely buy anything from the Marketplace TBH - only if it's something I can't find elsewhere.

Thought with Prime you could pay monthly too but works out more expensive? £8 a month or £79 for the year? Unless that's just their TV and Video service.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Does anybody have a Roku stick? I have and just wondered, is there a decent sports channel with English football on? Apart from NowTV of course!

Does anyone on here use Amazon Prime?

I was just wondering if it's worth using? And do you pay monthly, or one lump sum per year - about £80 IIRC?

I have Prime, and to be honest I was going to cancel it, but then I got a Kindle (at £49 it was a no brainer) - and now I've got the Fire Stick and it really works out. Theres a whole lot more to it than just getting your stuff delivered the next day. The Books/Music/Films/TV Series are all pretty good.

OK guys, quick one please from anyone with wiring knowledge.... I'm fitting a new floodlight to an existing PIR.

I've got 4 wires coming into the PIR, Earth, red, brown and blue.
In my new floodlight I've got a connection for earth and 2 others...

I've connected the Earth and I've put blue to blue, so where does the brown go?
If I put it into the brown in the PIR, the light comes on.
If I put it into the red in the PIR the light still comes on!

Any ideas?

Or is the PIR fucked?

I'm buying a three story house (if the solicitors ever get done). Would like a walker talkie or something for the kids rooms that comes to one downstairs, but that wouldn't go to the other ones (so if my son uses it from the top floor it wouldn't wake my daughter) - any idea what I'm looking for?

I'm not quite sure what to do with my work finances: From the start of the 2016/17 tax year as all the little workarounds such as tax relief on travel and subsistence that increase one's take home pay by way of using an umbrella company are being eradicated, leaving it no more efficient than PAYE. Currently I work and invoice as a sole trader (no VAT) and when necessary use an umbrella company, probably about a 70/30 split at the moment.

So, do I:
  1. Stay as I am and lose the benefits of the umbrella company
  2. Register as a Limited Company and deal with the paperwork myself
  3. Register as a Limited Company and hire an accountant
  4. Register as a Limited Company and use my umbrella company at a cost of £70 per month, plus £10p/m for invoicing and a one-off £100 for the registration

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Sorry PQ/Wombat, no idea. Here to ask something myself...

My boiler makes a low whistling or whirring type sound when I put the central heating on. Lasts 15-30 mins.
Is it just happening because the system is cold? Or is it something serious I need sorting asap.

It isn't too loud, but I can hear it in other rooms. It does stop when it warms up a bit, but I'm clueless.

What is the likely turnover?

Limited company and do the paperwork yourself is certainly achievable. All you are really looking at is correct Companies House filing, tax returns, accounts, annual return and so on. It isn't that much, but you need to get it right and done on time, and it can be a bit time-consuming.

You should definitely use an accountant for the figures part of the accounts if you go down that path, but you can write the front of the accounts reasonably easily with a bit of research and knowledge about how to present it. Like I say, it can take time. If you have the time, and are confident you can deliver the required paperwork correctly first time every time then it can be the cheapest way to go. If you struggle and get yourself tied up in knots it can be a trouble beyond what it is worth. PM me or contact me on FB if you want to talk it over in more detail, Mr Wombat.

Sorry PQ/Wombat, no idea. Here to ask something myself...

My boiler makes a low whistling or whirring type sound when I put the central heating on. Lasts 15-30 mins.
Is it just happening because the system is cold? Or is it something serious I need sorting asap.

It isn't too loud, but I can hear it in other rooms. It does stop when it warms up a bit, but I'm clueless.

Sounds like it could be the pump. I guess it's a combi boiler?

If I were you I'd get the basic British Gas homecare, or similar, so at least when/if it goes it'll be a cheap fix.

I'm not quite sure what to do with my work finances: From the start of the 2016/17 tax year as all the little workarounds such as tax relief on travel and subsistence that increase one's take home pay by way of using an umbrella company are being eradicated, leaving it no more efficient than PAYE. Currently I work and invoice as a sole trader (no VAT) and when necessary use an umbrella company, probably about a 70/30 split at the moment.

So, do I:
  4. Register as a Limited Company and use my umbrella company at a cost of £70 per month, plus £10p/m for invoicing and a one-off £100 for the registration

I take care of the day to day paperwork for our Ltd company - invoices , banking etc - then a bookkeeper cones in to close our year end ( much cheaper than an accountant). The accountant then produces the final accounts and dies the corporation tax. Works out pretty cheap and in 20 years we've never had a problem.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I take care of the day to day paperwork for our Ltd company - invoices , banking etc - then a bookkeeper cones in to close our year end ( much cheaper than an accountant). The accountant then produces the final accounts and dies the corporation tax. Works out pretty cheap and in 20 years we've never had a problem.

Should say also that we only use the accountant because we have to be audited and they do that too. If we didn't do the audit then I'd get the bookkeeper to do the lot. So much cheaper.

Can recommend this too Wombat. If you're struggling to find a good bookkeeper for a couple of hours a week/ month (depending on your invoices) and/ or credit controller, try Peopleperhour.com

We also use Xero as a accounts package which will give you management accs and full year accounts at the push of a button. It's around £100py. Dead easy to use and you can use it anywhere as its web based.

So, do I:

Wombat.
Just ran this past Mrs Wolfie.

She says, "It’s all a bit relative, isn’t it?

So he’ll lose the benefits of some tax free cash – that’s why the HMRC are cracking down on travel & subsistence.

He would do well to consider the time in terms of money and time in setting up a limited company and managing it compared to the tax free cash he’s losing. Especially if he’s going to factor an accountant in."

She's not sure what option 4 means....

Arggghhh!
Susie's just done something!
The whole thing's gone dead big!
She was moving the mouse and the lettering on the screen was getting bigger and she clicked on something!

How can I reduce the size?
I thought you could do it with the wheel...?

Back