• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Advice Thread

Advice please!

A neighbour got robbed the other day and the bastards took her spare set of car keys.
Now of course, she's scared to death that they'll return for her car...

So, given that around 94% of the population keep their car keys within 6 feet of the front door, where would you guys leave yours?

Problem is... if they can find the keys, they'll take them and fuck off.
If they can't find them (because you've cunningly hidden them) they might well trash the place looking for them...

I have a mate who got done a few years back and he leaves his car keys and a €50 note on the kitchen table to hopefully minimise any potential damage.

What do you think?

Leaving your car keys out with a note is giving your car and home insurers all they need to refuse to pay out.

Leaving your car keys out with a note is giving your car and home insurers all they need to refuse to pay out.

Really??
Is there really any difference between leaving your keys on a table and 'hiding' them away in a box on the wall (just behind the front door) with the word 'KEYS' on it?

Leaving them with a a fifty euro note is a bit of an invitation isn't it?

Leaving them with a a fifty euro note is a bit of an invitation isn't it?

Well....
If the fucker's standing in your kitchen he's already broken in hasn't he?
He has, if you will, accepted your invitation by just having your house standing there with windows and patio doors etc.

Conor - the guy I mentioned earlier, had his downstairs absolutely trashed. It was the cops that suggested leaving it in plain sight.

Okaaay.

I get the point, but you would need to be a bit liberal with the truth with the insurance companies.

Presumably the car gets stolen and isn't returned then it is a complete write-off under your car insurance. They would normally pay out and then presumably make a claim under the house insurance as the keys were stolen in a break in. So you then tell the house insurer "I left the keys on the table with a fifty euro note to try and avoid the house getting trashed while they looked for the car keys" and what are they going to do?

You can probably envisage the house insurer telling the car insurer that you didn't take anything like adequate precautions so they aren't going to pay out for the car to the car insurer, who then in turn won't pay out to you.

I understand the logic for sure, but unless your car is worth a lot less than the value that could be trashed in a key search it doesn't seem a risk worth taking.

Advice please!

A neighbour got robbed the other day and the bastards took her spare set of car keys.

So, given that around 94% of the population keep their car keys within 6 feet of the front door, where would you guys leave yours?

If they can't find them (because you've cunningly hidden them) they might well trash the place looking for them...

I have a mate who got done a few years back and he leaves his car keys and a €50 note on the kitchen table to hopefully minimise any potential damage.

What do you think?

She should get the locks on the car changed asap.

A girl at work got robbed a few weeks back but they couldn't take the car as her sisters car was blocking it on the driveway and they didn't have the keys for that. When she rang the cops next morning, they advised her to get the locks changed immediately.

Advice please!

If they can't find them (because you've cunningly hidden them) they might well trash the place looking for them... Or you or your loved ones.

What do you think?

My sisters house was done when she was out a few years back, her keys stolen, car stolen, dogs beaten up, downstairs trashed. The policeman's advice was to leave the car keys where they can be easily found as that way the potential for anybody getting hurt is diminished. I can't see an insurance company refusing to settle a claim for a stolen car if the keys were inside a locked house.

Normally I would agree, but leaving them out with a fifty euro note is pushing the point. Just leave them in a key rack and the effect is much the same, but without any insurance risk really.

She's been in touch with the Insurance co and Mercedes and is having the locks changed as I write...
But the fuckers won't know that until they return skulking around one dark night.
This whole robbery thing is just so undermining.
Aiden who's 90, lives next door to her was lying in bed one night and woke to find some fucker shining a torch into his face from outside...

Why don't you get on to the council about having a CCTV camera installed at the entrance to the estate?

If they push back about the price etc, just remind them that a body was dumped on that beach and there's been various breakins of vehicles parked on the lane down to the beach.....

Why don't you get on to the council about having a CCTV camera installed at the entrance to the estate?

If they push back about the price etc, just remind them that a body was dumped on that beach and there's been various breakins of vehicles parked on the lane down to the beach.....

The first robbery before Christmas was via a little lane that skirts the sand dunes between us and the beach.
The body that got dumped a year or so ago was about a mile away and nowhere near us.
The 2nd robbery and the break in of the garage might have shown something right enough...
Worth asking the question for sure.
Even putting a dummy camera and signs up...

Right!
A different approach...
Does anyone on here use CCTV?
Especially outside their home.

I'm looking for advice on different types and storage etc.
I see you can get a system with a 500gb box for around €70..

Right!
A different approach...
Does anyone on here use CCTV?
Especially outside their home.

I'm looking for advice on different types and storage etc.
I see you can get a system with a 500gb box for around €70..

Penk will be your man.

Does anyone on here use Amazon Prime?

I was just wondering if it's worth using? And do you pay monthly, or one lump sum per year - about £80 IIRC?

Does anyone on here use Amazon Prime?

I was just wondering if it's worth using? And do you pay monthly, or one lump sum per year - about £80 IIRC?

Don't use it but you pay the whole thing in one go. You take out the free trial and unless you cancel it they will charge your card for the years subscription.

Love Amazon Prime, use it all the time. Like Kenny said, you pay the whole thing in one go.

Back