• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Advice Thread

Don't remember any of mine being too much bother when they were coming through, other than having to put up with a bit of an open wound on the side of my mouth for a while. I have a bit of a cracking thing going on with my jaw now though, if I open my mouth fully then there's a definite resistance and then snap when it gets beyond a certainly point, doesn't cause any pain but can get a bit worse sometimes when eating certain things.

Never really thought about getting it checked out.

My dentist commented on it when I was having a check up and I kept having to open my mouth fully. She could hear it. She asked me at the time if it bothers me and I said no. She then said' if ever it does, we can cure that by removing your teeth ' ! 2 years on and it bothers me :(

My dentist commented on it when I was having a check up and I kept having to open my mouth fully. She could hear it. She asked me at the time if it bothers me and I said no. She then said' if ever it does, we can cure that by removing your teeth ' ! 2 years on and it bothers me :(

I haven't been to the dentist in nearly 10 years so I guess that's why nothing has ever come of it. Not sure it's definitely down to the wisdom teeth for me, can remember my jaw sort of locking on that side a little bit when I was too young to have had wisdom teeth coming through so maybe something else happened there.

I had all 4 of mine taken out when I was 18.
Local anaesthetic... didn't give me enough!
Awoke to huge aching feeling in my chest!
But it turned out that was the dentist kneeling on me as he was wrestling with pliers trying to get the fuckers out.
My mouth was largely numb after but badly swollen and gums torn.
Gave me 4 tampons to wedge in the holes and told me to clamp down on them and go home to rest.

Take 2 Coca-Cola bottles.
Cut tops and bottoms off, then slit straight up the side.
Open them out and put your forearms inside them.
Brilliant for working or weeding inside thorny bushes or prickly trees!

Well... it IS an ADVICE thread!
I just posted it before anyone posted a thorny problem....

That's brilliant, Roy. There a tons of prickly plants at the new home, you've just saved me a load of anguish.

Or just wear long sleeves....

The last one i had out last year took 45 minutes, and painless my dentist asked if it was transplanted from a shark it was so big. I swear to god that at one point he had both arms and a knee in my mouth. It was like going five rounds with Mike Tyson, and all on a local anaesthetic.

Following on from the 'things I am sad about' thread, does university reputation matter hugely?

My brother wants to do a Economics, and has got an offer from clearing for one that isn't as sought after? It is really that big a deal where you go to do the same course? Is it something key in employers thinking later on?

No.
What does he want to do?
What was his aim and where has he got?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He needs to be somewhere he'll be happy first and foremost.

Where's the clearing option?

He wants to do Economics, he didn't get into Kent or Reading which he was hoping he would.

Now he's looking at UEL (university of East London) though I think he is waiting to see if any more options become available, such as Swansea. I don't think he is fussed about where he goes in living terms, just seems more about the reputation of the Uni.

It depends. Employers will know which universities are the best in their area of expertise, but a good employers won't choose an average candidate from a good university over a good candidate from an average university. Consult the league tables - if the place he has an offer from is near the bottom, re-sits might be an option if he thinks he can improve his grades. I also agree with Nando's comment about being happy.

UEL is alright I think. Much improved over the last decade at any rate.

Its a tough one. Being happy at uni is from my experience absolutely paramount to doing well in your studies.

If uni reputation is the most important factor for him then perhaps retakes would be the best option. But does he really want to spend a third year doing so? I had to do a third year and I was a miserable sod for the whole year knowing that most of my friends were away at uni.

My GF's brother is going through the same situation at the moment. It can be a horrible time when your immediate future is seemingly up in the air.

It is tough.

On the league tables UEL is something like fourth from bottom for Economics. And when I suggested he was very against doing a third year. If he does go there he would still live at home I reckon too.

For a social science like Economics I doubt UEL will make much difference to the other two as long as he gets a 2:1. It's not like he was looking at one of the elite Uni's like Oxford, Cambridge or Hull

Employers don't just look at the degree or university anymore. They also expect graduates to have a lot of pre-gained experience (paid or voluntary) too.

So the short answer is that they don't look too much at the university, but look at a more holistic picture.

The question your brother should be asking though, is (as mentioned) will he be happy there? Will he spend too much time worrying his degree will be worth less than say a more prestigious university.

I'd also be encouraging him to consider a 3rd year as an opportunity to re-study, but also gain relevant work experience (either paid, or voluntary).

I'd also be encouraging him to consider a 3rd year as an opportunity to re-study, but also gain relevant work experience (either paid, or voluntary).

I think I suggest this too him.

Ultimately it's up to him, as long as he is sure on his decision I'm happy for him.

Thanks guys!

I think I suggest this too him.

Ultimately it's up to him, as long as he is sure on his decision I'm happy for him.

Thanks guys!
The bold bit is the main thing YW. All you can do is support him.

Back