• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Advice Thread

Following on from the 'things I am sad about' thread, does university reputation matter hugely?

My brother wants to do a Economics, and has got an offer from clearing for one that isn't as sought after? It is really that big a deal where you go to do the same course? Is it something key in employers thinking later on?

Can't say for the UK, but, if it's any consolation, in the US it's Ivy League and everything else. Meaning that unless you went to Harvard, you're getting the same benefit of the doubt regardless.

Anyone have any suggestions on good options for acquiring a upvc door? Specifically local reclamation places that are reliable?
By local, west mids.

I've got my old one in a skip on my drive at the moment.
It's on the top undamged, yours if you want it, not sure when the skips gonna be collected though.

Guys, Im travelling to London later this month, and want to know the best way and cheapest way to get from Gatwick to Victoria.

I have checked the price of the Gatwick Express, and Im stunned to see it's now £61 return!!! That is outrageous. Last time I went to London 5 years ago the Gatwick Express was £20 return. I know train prices in the UK are bad, but that price is utterly insane and Im not paying almost 100euro to travel into London on a train.

So, what are the best alternatives? I know theres a bus service, but how bad is the traffic in South London on the weekend? Pretty bad I imagine.

Guys, Im travelling to London later this month, and want to know the best way and cheapest way to get from Gatwick to Victoria.

I have checked the price of the Gatwick Express, and Im stunned to see it's now £61 return!!! That is outrageous. Last time I went to London 5 years ago the Gatwick Express was £20 return. I know train prices in the UK are bad, but that price is utterly insane and Im not paying almost 100euro to travel into London on a train.

So, what are the best alternatives? I know theres a bus service, but how bad is the traffic in South London on the weekend? Pretty bad I imagine.

The National Express coach from Victoria Coach Station to Gatwick is about £8 each way I think mate. Obviously it's slower (about an hour and a half) but it goes every hour.

http://coach.nationalexpress.com/nxbooking/journey-list#

http://www.southernrailway.com/

I have just looked at prices and it is coming up at around £3 re5turn

Loads of trains pass through Gatwick from the south but they'll stop at other stations along the way. You should get a cheap advance on one of those

Here's one for you all: My Dad got served with a notice that HMRC want £30k in unpaid tax earlier this week otherwise they'll send him bankrupt. There's no quibble that a lot of tax owed - I'll spare you the details - but what I would appreciate some input on is the threat to the family home, such as it is. It's entirely in my Mum's name, has never been in dual names, and has always been owned by her side of the family and is mine and mine alone as and when the time comes. So, can a charge be put against it on account of him having no assets whatsoever (everything is owned and/or paid for by Mum) on the basis that he has a beneficial interest in having lived there even though he has contributed nothing whatsoever in terms of finance or labour to the property?

Here's one for you all: My Dad got served with a notice that HMRC want £30k in unpaid tax earlier this week otherwise they'll send him bankrupt. There's no quibble that a lot of tax owed - I'll spare you the details - but what I would appreciate some input on is the threat to the family home, such as it is. It's entirely in my Mum's name, has never been in dual names, and has always been owned by her side of the family and is mine and mine alone as and when the time comes. So, can a charge be put against it on account of him having no assets whatsoever (everything is owned and/or paid for by Mum) on the basis that he has a beneficial interest in having lived there even though he has contributed nothing whatsoever in terms of finance or labour to the property?

Even if it was in a joint name mortgage as the debt is only for the one party then the Charging order is in effect useless. They would be unable to force the sale. The only recourse would be if the house was sold in which case you would have to notify the person with the 'registered interest' before contracts are exchanged.

As it stands there is no Contractual link between your moms asset, and your dad (who they are within their right to pursue)

I have had an issue of a Notice being served on my property (from a debt that my wifes previous partner managed to wrack up whilst they were together) and found the Martin Lewis (MSE) website a very useful source of information

Great, thanks chaps. I'll mention MSE when I see them next week - he apparently spent hours on the phone to Step Change and they advised against bankruptcy because of the charging potential, however the little research that I did and could understand indicated that because there's no 'trace' of him with regard to ownership of the house we should be OK.

No - it is her house and he is effectively a tenant.

You sure mate? I thought if they weren't married, he's at best a tolerated trespasser. It might be muddied a bit by the marriage, as theoretically he could be deemed to have a beneficial interest (but that's a very long discussion...). He's not a tenant, as I'm pretty sure he hasn't got a tenancy agreement. (If he has, I hope Stoo's mom is paying income tax on the rental income!!!)

Putting a charge on just registers another party has a financial interest in the property. It does not force a sale, and in reality it is pretty unlikely that HMRC would do so - most mortgage lenders don't bother, they register & retain the charge and wait for the owner to sell/die to realise their interest. Theoretically they can apply for an order for sale, but they won't, as this would result in making your mum homeless, so no DJ would approve such an order. Plus, they'd have to prove his beneficial interest would cover the debt, plus any costs incurred.

Yes, that's what I understand on the charging issue, that they may say 'Well, we'll have the money when the house is sold,' meaning that yours truly effectively pays (for) my Dad's financial fuckwittery. I don't know the exact figures involved but it is (will be) more than just the monies owed to HMRC and could account for a significant proportion of what the house might be worth. As far as I understand it will all boil down to whether anyone thinks or can prove his beneficial interest in the property - Mum's will has always left the property to me and has/was not been changed to reflect the ongoing financial woes.

Need a bit of advice...

The son of the guy across the road has just reversed into my parked car - not a big problem, bumper is out of line and a bit scratched. I said pop back later with your insurance details and we'll sort it.

He comes back with his dad, who's being aggressive from the start, says he wants to look in the morning - the damage is clear. I say ok, but I need it sorting asap as I use it for work. He's hinting he doesn't want to involve insurers. I said ok, but it needs to be done quick. He then gets ultra aggressive and storms off saying he'll see me in the morning!

Outcome is I don't have any insurance details or an idea what he want to do! Do I just phone my insurance or see if he calms down? I'm happy if he wants to sort it, but I'll need a hire car, so I think it might get complicated.

Any ideas what to do?

Need a bit of advice...

The son of the guy across the road has just reversed into my parked car - not a big problem, bumper is out of line and a bit scratched. I said pop back later with your insurance details and we'll sort it.

He comes back with his dad, who's being aggressive from the start, says he wants to look in the morning - the damage is clear. I say ok, but I need it sorting asap as I use it for work. He's hinting he doesn't want to involve insurers. I said ok, but it needs to be done quick. He then gets ultra aggressive and storms off saying he'll see me in the morning!

Outcome is I don't have any insurance details or an idea what he want to do! Do I just phone my insurance or see if he calms down? I'm happy if he wants to sort it, but I'll need a hire car, so I think it might get complicated.

Any ideas what to do?

Assume you have photo's. Would be inclined to wait till the morning & see if Dad calms down. You know where they are & presumably the reg no of son's car.

Once he has calmed down may be happy to settle given that your car was stationary rather than involve insurers & the impact that would have on son's premiums

I'd wait to see what he does in the morning. You've got his reg plate and address so your insurance can do the rest of he kicks up a stink, I presume.

Assume you have photo's. Would be inclined to wait till the morning & see if Dad calms down. You know where they are & presumably the reg no of son's car.

Once he has calmed down may be happy to settle given that your car was stationary rather than involve insurers & the impact that would have on son's premiums

That was my thinking too, but he was really odd. Never really met him before, but he reminded me of napoleon.

Tredman, I got a good tip from my insurers when a woman pulled out of a jct into the side of my car writing it off.
If you go through YOUR ins co., it'll sit as a claim until (and if) it gets resolved and he accepts responsibility.
My guys told me to go through HER ins co. directly.
So, i'd take a load of photos where your car was parked and his etc etc, then sneak up and take the details of HIS ins co and if he doesn't come clean, contact them directly.
Oh and get a quote for a fix, although they'll almost certainly ask you to go through one of their approved dealers.
That should sharpen the fucker's attention!
Good luck.

Back