• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Will some people on here actually be delighted if Bruno fails spectacularly?
I dont think they will be delighted but there a few I would imagine, that would happily remind others that they predicted doom if that happened. It mystifies me. Hundreds of forum pages dedicated to basically , the same theme that the club was wrong to sack/ with joint consent Nuno, who now rocks up at a big six club, and who will get a deserved reception in August. But I hope Lage outhinks him and outplays his team and we win . Because I always want Wolverhampton Wanderers to win , regardless of any previous affection for ex players or managers. I want them to win for the new manager. I want them to play with a style that justifies the decisions that have been taken (bravely in my opinion) by senior management to change the direction , path and personnel. Yes it wasa risk , but actually in the cold light of day , so was keeping Nuno and his 15 trusted men. At least we should end up with a bigger squad and better competition for places.

I also dont understand why every international player we are linked with bar Leao is deemed shit almost instantly. Palhinho looks ideal in the new system. Guedes looks exactly the type of player Lage will get the best out of. Sa looks a decent purchase and good business on paper.But all the proof will be on the pitch once the season starts and once the window is over. There was lots about last season to be critical of , from our summer recruitment to our playing style ( or lack of it). Many clubs would have changed their manager during the season, given perfromances, but Nuno and the players were given the season to sort it. At the end the verdict from the top appears to be that change is required to progress.
My summary of 2020-21 would read that we conceded the lead far too often , were unable to dominate any team and were neither creative enough or clinical enough to hurt the opposition, whilst relying on the nucleus of players even though they were clearly off their game. Patricio , Moutinho , Boly, Traore, Neves all had a significant drop in form during the season and we lost Raul to a horror injury.
I welcome Lage with open arms and I want him to take Wolves on to be an entertaining attacking side that is also solid enough defensively for the premier league. If he fails then so be it , but until I have seen evidence of that failure he gets my 100% support.

Pithy, but not entirely convincing. We'll see, I guess
I know some don't think he's the man for the job, I have my reservations tbh but no-one hopes he fails.. ....you call WolfMan pithy in his reply to your comment with no sense of irony?

I'm not concerned about him speaking to the media. I am concerned though that we are just over 3 weeks away from the opener and I think we are massively short of players who can play the way he seems to want to. I have big doubts over some of the current squads ability to play this new way. I know theres a lot of time of the window left but by the same token we have a lot to do and thats even before outgoings that will inevitably happen.

Cyber and PK make up their own narratives and attribute to others

Why are you lumping me in with an ex-poster (bullied off here, frankly, but shhhhhh) I had virtually nothing in common with, opinion-wise? I didn't have you down as lazy as that.

There are plenty of 'narratives' on the forum, let's not pretend otherwise, or that popular posters don't do exactly the same.

As Jasper said, there are daily negative comments about Bruno and the club in general, it's not unfeasible, forums being what they are, that every mistake made will be leapt upon with relish. Then we'll see if it's just a 'narrative' or not.

Thanks to Jasper for playing the ball rather than the man

Will some people on here actually be delighted if Bruno fails spectacularly?
Expecting something to happen and wanting something to happen are entirely different things.

I don't expect Lage to be our manager taking us into the 22/23 season, if he is that means he's done well, so obviously i want him to be!

I dont think they will be delighted but there a few I would imagine, that would happily remind others that they predicted doom if that happened. It mystifies me. Hundreds of forum pages dedicated to basically , the same theme that the club was wrong to sack/ with joint consent Nuno, who now rocks up at a big six club, and who will get a deserved reception in August. But I hope Lage outhinks him and outplays his team and we win . Because I always want Wolverhampton Wanderers to win , regardless of any previous affection for ex players or managers. I want them to win for the new manager. I want them to play with a style that justifies the decisions that have been taken (bravely in my opinion) by senior management to change the direction , path and personnel. Yes it wasa risk , but actually in the cold light of day , so was keeping Nuno and his 15 trusted men. At least we should end up with a bigger squad and better competition for places.

I also dont understand why every international player we are linked with bar Leao is deemed shit almost instantly. Palhinho looks ideal in the new system. Guedes looks exactly the type of player Lage will get the best out of. Sa looks a decent purchase and good business on paper.But all the proof will be on the pitch once the season starts and once the window is over. There was lots about last season to be critical of , from our summer recruitment to our playing style ( or lack of it). Many clubs would have changed their manager during the season, given perfromances, but Nuno and the players were given the season to sort it. At the end the verdict from the top appears to be that change is required to progress.
My summary of 2020-21 would read that we conceded the lead far too often , were unable to dominate any team and were neither creative enough or clinical enough to hurt the opposition, whilst relying on the nucleus of players even though they were clearly off their game. Patricio , Moutinho , Boly, Traore, Neves all had a significant drop in form during the season and we lost Raul to a horror injury.
I welcome Lage with open arms and I want him to take Wolves on to be an entertaining attacking side that is also solid enough defensively for the premier league. If he fails then so be it , but until I have seen evidence of that failure he gets my 100% support.
Good post, JW.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts too. I hadn't heard of Lage before he came here but nor had I heard of Nuno. Seems unfair to write him off when we've not seen his team kick a ball yet in the Premier League season.

I don't think anybody wants him or Wolves to fail, but with all the love in the world I want to see how many told-you-so's there are if he does... it's fine to have reservations about him, but to write him off on little to no proof except eighteen months at a club with a (rather) corrupt owner is a little unfair.

I want Wolves fans to rock the stadium with love for Bruno instead of more noise when Nuno walks out, sadly now he's gone he's an after though. Remember when we lorded Robbie Keane on his returns only to be greeted with a big fuck you and middle finger along with a hatrick against us..

I just think if you're basing Bruno off his last 10-or-so games for Benfica, you may as well directly pit him against Nuno who spent a similar amount of time at Porto and didn't win a title... but that would be silly...

Both would be silly (and a bit childish).

Although I don't want to derail the thread, what happened with Lage at Benfica is essentially:

- They massively over-performed during the good runs. They were still decent, but were second best in terms of most underlying numbers.
- They equally as massively under-performed during the one bad run. In terms of xG and xG against, they just couldn't put their chances away and had some bad luck/bad goalkeeping go against them.

Would we have appointed him without the crazy runs in the first place? Had his team been less volatile in both senses, probably not.

Hopefully we get the over-performance.... I could see us getting off to a good start (the fixtures after the first three games allow for that too) then running out of steam a bit.

I'm not concerned about him speaking to the media. I am concerned though that we are just over 3 weeks away from the opener and I think we are massively short of players who can play the way he seems to want to. I have big doubts over some of the current squads ability to play this new way. I know theres a lot of time of the window left but by the same token we have a lot to do and thats even before outgoings that will inevitably happen.
With no outgoings I think we are only a CB away from at least being competent in this system. Front 6 fine, FBs fine and I’m fine with Donck and Neves in there.

It won’t threaten the top 8 though. Certainly improvements at CB and CM for that and maybe even CF if Fabio still isn’t ready.

I can't see us threatening the top 8 this season anyway. Not because I think Bruno is naff, but just because we're overhauling the spine (if Neves does go) and obviously we're not entirely sure how the Jimenez situation is going to go yet.

Fundamentally we've hired Bruno because he works well with young players - his track record is more than proven - and we're clearly going the route of attracting some of the best young players in Europe (Neves, Jota, Silva, Trincao, Neto, RAN) developing them and selling them on for profit. Gradually as you attract and develop 'lesser known' young players (such as Jota) you attract the 'big talents' (Trincao).

It probably won't yield much trophy wise but it makes the club a sustainable business. And keeps Mendes happy.

Back