• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Hardly anyone plays that open for a start, unless you're City or Liverpool and you can afford to because you have the best players anyway.

We'll get ripped with the current personnel doing that. You're constantly going to have relatively immobile players dragged all over the place while the showponies up top stand around wondering what's going on. We aren't anything like set up for it.

Hardly anyone plays that open for a start, unless you're City or Liverpool and you can afford to because you have the best players anyway.

We'll get ripped with the current personnel doing that. You're constantly going to have relatively immobile players dragged all over the place while the showponies up top stand around wondering what's going on. We aren't anything like set up for it.
He’s not going to set up like that every game is he?(if at all, we’ve got a preseason game against inferior opposition and a managerial career at a massive team in Portugal to work with). If he does then he shouldn’t have a job above Sunday league and will be gone pretty quick.

There isn't anything to add to my opinion, I've said it's both feasible his legs have gone and that he was knackered - both are possibilities. What I'm not doing is indulging your Robert McCall righting of perceived forum wrongs

How about just don't reply if you don't want to continue the line of discussion.

It's not hard, and better than playing to the gallery with 'I'm not doing this again'

He’s not going to set up like that every game is he?(if at all, we’ve got a preseason game against inferior opposition and a managerial career at a massive team in Portugal to work with). If he does then he shouldn’t have a job above Sunday league and will be gone pretty quick.
I don't know mate, I do recall it being said that his downfall with Benfica was that he resolutely refused to change shape and ended up shoehorning players wildly out of position as it all turned to shit.

I mean, on the supposed blueprint, we're going to be like this in possession:

----------------------------Sa-----------------------

----------------Coady----------Boly-------------------

----------------Neves---------Dendoncker-------------

Semedo------------------------------------------Ait-Nouri

----------Trincao----------------------Adama--------------

-------------------------(Podence)-------------------------

--------------------(Fabio)---------Raul-------------------

Take your pick between Podence or Fabio, doesn't make any difference for this argument as they aren't going to offer anything defensively.

I do not much fancy our chances when we lose the ball with that setup. Maybe he's got aces up his sleeve, but everyone keeps telling me that's how we'll play. It looks like a nightmare waiting to happen.

Might look fine for those who think "play all the attackers and we'll score loads more goals" but thankfully most of those headbangers are on Twitter rather than on here.

A lot rides on how he sets the FBs up. Both are good covering back but having them both get forward at the same timeis not going end well.

Better off with Marcal in and a more defensive setup on the left perhaps.

Yes but in the championship Nuno set up like this

----------------------------Sa-----------------------

- -Bennett----------------Coady----------Boly-------------------

----------------Saiss---------Neves-------------

----------Cav--------------------Jota--------------

Doc--------------------Bonatini-------------------------Douglas

(Stole your template and tried to change it, no idea if it comes out right but you get the point)

But we know full well it didn’t end up like that in most games, with it being very much a flat back 5 with 2 in front, and 3 up front playing miles away from each other and the rest of the team. It was even a 5-3-0-2 where we just gave it Raul and Jota and hoped Doc/Jonny and Donck would catch up at some stage.

Betis game may give us more info as they are at least a decent team

Defending with four and attacking with six in front of the ball in the Premier League is certainly asking for problems, so will be interesting to see how it is adapted. Most likely through a full back being tucked in at times.

Defending with four and attacking with six in front of the ball in the Premier League is certainly asking for problems, so will be interesting to see how it is adapted. Most likely through a full back being tucked in at times.
When I read your breakdown of his time at Benfica I thought you said they were often both high and wide though?

When I read your breakdown of his time at Benfica I thought you said they were often both high and wide though?
Yeah, and in that break down I suggested (I think) that in the premier league he may need to tuck a full back in :D

I get your point, I just think even if the plan is to have both full backs high, he will quickly have to adapt. Add a third midfielder if necessary. Otherwise there is the potential for it to get ugly against teams who try to pick us off on the break.

Yeah, and in that break down I suggested (I think) that in the premier league he may need to tuck a full back in :D

I get your point, I just think even if the plan is to have both full backs high, he will quickly have to adapt. Add a third midfielder if necessary. Otherwise there is the potential for it to get ugly against teams who try to pick us off on the break.
With pedestrian CM's and CH's as it stands. FWiW, I'm choosing to believe he won't be that silly...First game Vardy

The guy's not going to be a moron, he won't be approaching Premier league games like he's still in Liga Nos against some absolute shite. We're not going to go from playing 6 at the back to 2, and he's not going to set us up so we're insanely porous. Yes, we'll need work and players, but at least it's going to be an actual transition

Well, he might. Solbakken had won numerous titles, he's won more since and he's an international manager now.

Didn't stop him playing "his style" which meant Berra and Johnson in the highest line ever, Zubar playing everyone onside by 30 yards every time and our midfield four being so rigid that they looked like a table football team. Solbakken isn't a moron but he had/has one way of playing, would never change even though we didn't have the players to suit, and we were terrible.

Pick Villas-Boas at Chelsea if you want a non-Wolves comparison.

I hope we keep Moutinho, if only as i'd love him to take over as caretaker manager (and then lead us to 10 years of success) when the inevitable happens with Lage.

Will some people on here actually be delighted if Bruno fails spectacularly?

Back