• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Marcal has played CL football at LB, according to some sites anyway. I can't say I've ever seen him do that mind but I can't ever imagine playing Saiss at LB out of choice, especially in a CL game.

Marcal and Saiss are both the wrong side of 30.

If Robinson is someone who we like and we think is under valued at £10m AND it doesn't stop us doing other things we want to. Why wouldn't you do it?

You're all wrong about Marcal being no good going forwards. He started out at Lyon being a more attacking LB with a good engine getting up and down the flank, with decent passing and crossing.

Of course he's never fully fit so it's a moot point. I've got no problem with letting him go, we'd probably get back what we paid for him, €2m. We'd need to sign another LB if we did though, so I've no problem with doing that and getting Robinson if we think we're getting VFM with him.

Ignore what you’ve read. You’ve seen them both play. Literally not much in it. Djimi Traore has won a CL playing FB, Semedo has played in a final, literally non of that means anything.

If I could have a 30 man squad of first teamers then I would do it, 4 LBs, 4 RBs, 5 strikers please. But you can’t, as they cost loads of money and they all get pissed off, so yeah…

I must have missed the bit where we got to the Man Utd game at full time and everyone said "yes, let's buy two left backs".

It's clearly a stupid idea, as high and mighty as that might be. It might make sense if we owned 0 left backs.

Still massively questioning the appeal of Antonee Robinson. He's quick, he's not the worst on the ball, but he contributes nothing. He literally contributed nothing to Fulham in 28 appearances last season.

How one could conclude that he's worth 10m on that evidence is completely beyond me.

Still massively questioning the appeal of Antonee Robinson. He's quick, he's not the worst on the ball, but he contributes nothing. He literally contributed nothing to Fulham in 28 appearances last season.

How one could conclude that he's worth 10m on that evidence is completely beyond me.
The games I've seen him in he's looked good. I thought he was very good when we played them.

I must have missed the bit where we got to the Man Utd game at full time and everyone said "yes, let's buy two left backs".

It's clearly a stupid idea, as high and mighty as that might be. It might make sense if we owned 0 left backs.
Right now, we do have 0 functioning left backs.

Not true, Marçal was on the bench towards the end of the season. And we're supposedly signing Ait-Nouri.

If you can explain to me in words of two syllables or less as I'm clearly stupid why we need three left backs (with another coming back from injury, and Semedo can and has played there, as has Saiss) then please, let me know.

Otherwise I'd put the £10m into an area we actually need.

Presumably we need another right winger? I mean we have Adama and Trincão but Neto is injured. Should we sign Wayne Routledge for £10m?

Did you read the bits where I said we should only do it as long as it doesn't stop us from doing other things we want to do?

Anyway, Marcal is old and a perma-crock. So we should not be relying on him, so for the same reasons you didn't want us to sign Callum Wilson. We need some succession planning for him anyway, if there option is doable now for someone we want then why not?

RAN is 20 and has about 50 games under his belt, we know youngsters can be inconsistent so even if he doesn't get injured he might need breaks etc.

Saiss is not a LB, at least not a LB we would want beyond a couple of games anyway. Plus, last year of his contract so I'd imagine he'll go this summer or next.

Jonny may not come back to be the player he was before. I hope he does though.

So, IF we could get Robinson AND do all the other things we want to then I could see the logic.

Permacrock Marcal was available for 17 games last season and made 13 appearances. As Dino said, he’s had his op now so hopefully fixed his groin issue.

If he’s available for 17 games again next season then that will be plenty for what we need him for.

We aren't rich enough to sign players for £10m+ who aren't anything like good enough for what we want.

Permacrock Marcal was available for 17 games last season and made 13 appearances. As Dino said, he’s had his op now so hopefully fixed his groin issue.

If he’s available for 17 games again next season then that will be plenty for what we need him for.
So you're saying he was available for less than 50% of our games?

We'll just have to make sure we only need him for the games hes available then.

Yes I am.

We won’t need him. If we do he will be fine

The chances of RAN and Marcal both being injured at the same time are slim. Even then there's things we can do in the squad like move Semedo over. You can only mitigate against injury so much before it becomes a waste of everyone's time as the club will have spent a considerable amount of money and you're going to eventually have 2 senior left backs that aren't even making match day squads.

Presumably we wouldn't be after him if we didn't think he was good enough?
You're asking me though and I don't think he's as good as RAN, who isn't as good as Jonny.

If we were the world's greatest team then signing a third left back who might maybe turn out to be brilliant then perhaps. But we aren't so it's a waste of time.

If we sign him instead of RAN then I'd say it's the wrong call but ok, fine. He isn't rubbish, I just know which one I'd want. We neither want nor need both.

Back