• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Gilmour is younger than the players you want to develop (assuming that means MGW and Vitinha), he'd be a barrier to doing that not a help

Gilmour is younger than the players you want to develop (assuming that means MGW and Vitinha), he'd be a barrier to doing that not a help
He's better so would improve our 11 immediately. There would still be plenty of games for MGW/Vitinha to play and improve in. Fairly moot until we know what sort of system Lage is going to play. I'm not quite sure I ever see MGW fitting in here, for example.
I don't see us finishing higher than 7th next season even in a best case scenario (nor do I see us winning a domestic cup), I don't think we'll finish below 14th unless Bruno really is terrible.

So I can't see the value in developing someone else's player and then we have to look again in 12 months.

For Norwich it makes sense as if he's the difference between them finishing 17th or 18th, that's a result for them.
You've changed your tune. Three weeks ago we were relegation favourites! ;)

I think I said it's evidently more possible that a relative unknown in Lage could take us down than if Nuno were still here, where I would say we had a <1% chance of ever getting relegated :D

Still applies, unless we do some seriously weird stuff in the market no-one should be relegating this squad though.

Spiers says we haven't decided on RAN or Vitinha yet because we are exploring "better" (aka "cheaper") options on the market. Apparantely we think £38m for the pair is "steep".

To be honest, I agree that I wouldn't pay that much for the pair. If we can get them cheaper, I'd take both. Isn't there some disagreement over whether we have an obligation, though? Spiers pretty confident that's BS.

Spiers says we haven't decided on RAN or Vitinha yet because we are exploring "better" (aka "cheaper") options on the market. Apparantely we think £38m for the pair is "steep".

To be honest, I agree that I wouldn't pay that much for the pair. If we can get them cheaper, I'd take both. Isn't there some disagreement over whether we have an obligation, though? Spiers pretty confident that's BS.
i'd love us to sign both and think it would really help us in the future to get to where we want to be. But that said, £38m spent on potential vs £38m spent on "now" it's hard not to be in favour of the later

£38m for the pair is fuck all IMO, they're both technically gifted, intelligent footballers with a shit load of potential. Another 25ish starts and they'll be worth double that
I don't disagree with that at all, do we have room in our transfer budget though?

£38m for the pair is fuck all IMO, they're both technically gifted, intelligent footballers with a shit load of potential. Another 25ish starts and they'll be worth double that
Depends how much money we have. That's a Neves.

If we've not got the money to take up value like that, then we're not going to be adequately replacing Neves anyway. We haven't got (or don't use) the network to unearth a Soucek type, who makes a genuine difference from day one, for sub-£20m. Going for the higher ceiling is the best we can do with the c£30m per player strategy; well it's certainly preferable to spunking it on older players that elite don't want anymore

I think if we're looking at 21/22 as a *genuinely* transitional season with a new coach and a markedly different style, then I'd much rather have young players with high ceilings playing, than plodding, experienced shite like Palinha. I don't think Fosun will stray too far from the strategy of erring towards youth

I think we'll definitely sign RAN as he's visibly growing into the league and we have a gap there if we don't sign him (can't trust Marçal's fitness, Jonny won't play much this side of Christmas).

Vitinha I'm less sure. I think if we did have an obligation then we'd have announced the deal by now.

Also hurry up and confirm we aren't signing Willian NoWay :D

If we've not got the money to take up value like that, then we're not going to be adequately replacing Neves anyway. We haven't got (or don't use) the network to unearth a Soucek type, who makes a genuine difference from day one, for sub-£20m. Going for the higher ceiling is the best we can do with the c£30m per player strategy; well it's certainly preferable to spunking it on older players that elite don't want anymore

I think if we're looking at 21/22 as a *genuinely* transitional season with a new coach and a markedly different style, then I'd much rather have young players with high ceilings playing, than plodding, experienced shite like Palinha. I don't think Fosun will stray too far from the strategy of erring towards youth
If Neves goes we'll need to replace him, that's easier and doable if we don't spent £38m on potential.

If we do spend £38m on potential then we've put a big hole in our Neves replacement pot.

Ideally we'd want to do both

Don’t think we are really signing “potential”. RAN starts the first game of the season regardless of system and Vitinha starts in any 3 man midfield in the current squad.

If Neves goes we'll need to replace him, that's easier and doable if we don't spent £38m on potential.

If we do spend £38m on potential then we've put a big hole in our Neves replacement pot.

Ideally we'd want to do both
There's no way in the world that we spend more on Neves' replacement than we sell him for. There won't be a hole in the pot

We'll sign RAN. On Vitinha; I like him - he'll be class, but just not sure if he's another MGW in terms of we don't/won't play to his strengths. So if that's the case do we really want to spend £20m+ on him? I'm not talking from a personal perspective (from a personal perspective, I'd buy him) but from a business point of view.

There's no way in the world that we spend more on Neves' replacement than we sell him for. There won't be a hole in the pot
of course not, but taking £38m out of the transfer budget makes replacing Neves harder. Say we have a £50m pot, you could comfortably buy a neves replacement with that, take £38m out of that and now you have £12m - much harder to get a replacement

Stranger things have happened in Mendes world, especially considering when payments are scheduled.

Back